Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Afternoon Tea in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

28-12-2010, 08:27   #1
scaryt

Total Posts: 15
I have used the search function but the threads are a few years old and wondered if anyone had a more recent experience.

I'm looking for a lovely afternoon tea (the whole sandwiches, cakes and scones rather than a cream tea). I've seen Leopold Hotel and St Paul's. What are these like? We've been bought a Spa Experience at 1877 so wondered about going there mid morning, then walking down to somewhere lovely (a bit luxurious) for afternoon tea. So ideally somewhere in Sheffield rather than a drive away.

Anyone had any lovely/awful experiences we should know about?
28-12-2010, 08:28   #2
taxman

Total Posts: 17,827
Send a message via MSN to taxman
My OH sometimes goes to St. Pauls and really enjoys it. I think you can pay a bit more and get a glass of champagne included which might be nice.
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
28-12-2010, 08:46   #3
Captain_Scarlet

Total Posts: 4,175
Send a message via ICQ to Captain_Scarlet
There's a tea shop on Surrey Street, in the row with the Sheffield Scene, pen shop and Taylor-Taylor. Lovely little place.
_______
Don't chip your pets, shall I chip you?
28-12-2010, 08:46   #4
David Bowler

Total Posts: 171
If you want a really special afternoon tea try The Ritz in London, I know not on this occasion but if you want a special day out try that, about 40 per person but you get the lot in the Palm Court
28-12-2010, 08:52   #5
rubydazzler

Total Posts: 20,437
The St Paul is a classic afternoon tea but there's a great place just at the side of M&S back door on Chapel Walk.

I've had afternoon tea there and it was lovely, a Sheffield* version of Betty's

*cheaper, in other words!
_______
"Queen of spin"
28-12-2010, 09:05   #6
Claire18

Total Posts: 201
I used the Charity Unleashed voucher last year at the Leopold Hotel. I think it was the most expensive option which included a glass of champagne and I thought it was lovely, very civilised. It's not something I would have done ordinarily so not sure how it compares to St Paul's etc.
28-12-2010, 09:12   #7
bill516

Total Posts: 16
Andrews on Chapel walk, (the one that goes from the crucible to fargate)
28-12-2010, 09:19   #8
scaryt

Total Posts: 15
Great ideas, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bowler View Post
If you want a really special afternoon tea try The Ritz in London, I know not on this occasion but if you want a special day out try that, about 40 per person but you get the lot in the Palm Court
Actually this is what my mum wants to give us ...but it's a long old haul to London and thought this would make a nice alternative. And the other half is not as keen on the whole 'afternoon tea' option as I am.
28-12-2010, 09:30   #9
madasfish

Total Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire18 View Post
I used the Charity Unleashed voucher last year at the Leopold Hotel. I think it was the most expensive option which included a glass of champagne and I thought it was lovely, very civilised. It's not something I would have done ordinarily so not sure how it compares to St Paul's etc.
We used our voucher here too - and thought it was awful.

Dried up sandwiches which had clearly been prepared hours before (came wrapped in cellophane (nice!) , dry scones with basic jams - if I had paid the 20 per head they were priced at I would have been sorely put out!
28-12-2010, 09:44   #10
kimberley11

Total Posts: 120
Iv been to the Leopold Hotel a few times with friends as they live in London and we dont get to see each other often.
We go as a treat and we have the sandwiches, scones, choice of a hot drink (hot choc is nice) and the glass of champagne.
I would recommend it.
28-12-2010, 10:45   #11
madasfish

Total Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley11 View Post
Iv been to the Leopold Hotel a few times with friends as they live in London and we dont get to see each other often.
We go as a treat and we have the sandwiches, scones, choice of a hot drink (hot choc is nice) and the glass of champagne.
I would recommend it.
Perhaps - as this is now two votes in favour - we were simply unfortunate the day we went.
28-12-2010, 13:05   #12
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill516 View Post
Andrews on Chapel walk, (the one that goes from the crucible to fargate)
seconded. their food is lovely, and the service is great.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
28-12-2010, 13:21   #13
pennypie

Total Posts: 1,638
I know its a bit further that the middle of Sheffield, but we went to Chatsworth House a few months ago and it was absolutely gorgeous!! Would definitely recommend it!
28-12-2010, 14:14   #14
David Bowler

Total Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryt View Post
Great ideas, thank you

Actually this is what my mum wants to give us ...but it's a long old haul to London and thought this would make a nice alternative. And the other half is not as keen on the whole 'afternoon tea' option as I am.
It's not JUST afternoon tea, it's an experience not to be missed, We took my M.I.L for her 80th and went first class on the train, got 4 seats for 80 return,taxi to the Ritz, What a day, I'll remember it all my life

Last edited by David Bowler; 28-12-2010 at 14:17.
28-12-2010, 14:58   #15
soft ayperth

Total Posts: 1,482
The little cafe in the Botanical Gardens. We always go there when we visit Sheffield. Don't know when it's open though. Might be seasonal?

Last edited by soft ayperth; 28-12-2010 at 15:02.
28-12-2010, 15:18   #16
Spacecat

Total Posts: 455
It's such a shame that 'Tuckwoods' no longer exists .
_______
Remember.....The higher a monkey climbs....the more you'll see of his arse.
28-12-2010, 16:02   #17
cytine

Total Posts: 465
My Mum used to take me to Tuckwoods when I was a child. Does anyone remember "Davies" (I think it was called) in Haymarket, upstairs in the building opposite the Wilkinsons? Spotless white tablecloths, heavy cutlery, tea/coffee pots, and fast efficient waitresses. What lovely memories this has stirred. Thank you.

I hope you find your teashop and have memories, like mine, that will last you a lifetime.
28-12-2010, 16:50   #18
soft ayperth

Total Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytine View Post
My Mum used to take me to Tuckwoods when I was a child. Does anyone remember "Davies" (I think it was called) in Haymarket, upstairs in the building opposite the Wilkinsons? Spotless white tablecloths, heavy cutlery, tea/coffee pots, and fast efficient waitresses. What lovely memories this has stirred. Thank you.

I hope you find your teashop and have memories, like mine, that will last you a lifetime.
"Davys" I think, cytine. Yes, wonderful spot. Many happy memories. It was my favorite aunt's favorite spot so when we were kids she often took us there.
28-12-2010, 16:56   #19
Lynnandy

Total Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryt View Post
I have used the search function but the threads are a few years old and wondered if anyone had a more recent experience.

I'm looking for a lovely afternoon tea (the whole sandwiches, cakes and scones rather than a cream tea). I've seen Leopold Hotel and St Paul's. What are these like? We've been bought a Spa Experience at 1877 so wondered about going there mid morning, then walking down to somewhere lovely (a bit luxurious) for afternoon tea. So ideally somewhere in Sheffield rather than a drive away.

Anyone had any lovely/awful experiences we should know about?
Do try the Leopold Hotel, we had a voucher for afternoon tea through the Charity Unleashed booklet from Weston Park Hospital last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So much so, that I would definitely pay to go and take my mum for mother's day etc. Lovely sandwiches, with a glass of champagne, choice of tea/coffee and homemade scones with jam and cream. Absolutely delicious and lovely staff.
28-12-2010, 17:17   #20
Darth Vader

Total Posts: 6,697
I had afternoon tea at a function at the Beauchief Hotel recently, and it was faultless, beautifully presented, and delicious.
Reply To Topic