Is there a possible way to prevent spiders from coming in your house?

Eek i hate spiders... im sure we have an infestation! Iv heard leaving conkers around the house is s'possed to put off the little mites... any ideas would be appreciated!:)

There is no way to keep spiders out of your house. Moreover, a spiderless house would not be a healthy house, because spiders eat insects which are potentially harmful to you. All British spiders are completely harmless to humans. They don't sting, smell or buzz around your ears. They are not interested in your food (instead they eat things that are). They have far more reason to be afraid of you rather than vice versa. The spiders you see scurrying about are normally male spiders looking for a mate.

hmmmm i have to admit i spose your right. Im just a typical girly girly me thinks!

My Grandma used to say that if you had spiders it was a sign of a clean house, as the spiders eat dust :confused:

Is this true??

Originally posted by LellyBee

My Grandma used to say that if you had spiders it was a sign of a clean house, as the spiders eat dust :confused:

Is this true??

No. They are carnivores - they eat insects.

Shucks :( guess that means I got to get the duster and polish out ;)

So is there anything we can do about these spider :gag: infestations.

We are getting them almost every night and I am turnng into a nervous wreak :loopy:

its defo worst this time of year, the big black ones lurking in the bath:gag:

oh and how many is it were sposed to eat in our sleep.....

We've got two spiders webs at the top of the back door, each covering the top corners of the door. We try not to destroy the webs, as we haven't had a single fly in the house since these appears. . it's like having an insect filter. .

Spiders rule. .

We've got a terrible spider problem in our house, big huge grotty brown ones which my partner tells em are house spiders. (Where did they live when we didn't have houses?)

Our spiders are racing spiders and they gallop across the floor at a vast rate of knots. I think I've killed the Olympic candidates for this year though.

The genius who fitted the laminate floor in our kitchen left all the edges with big gaps, obviously thinking all the appliances would cover the mess, that's where our sprinters come from.

I'm planning on getting my partner sticking parcel tape round the edges which wil seal it off.

The main thing I've tried is sealing gaps in walls and skirting where safe/appropriate and I once read that burning clove oil in a scent burner helps. In fact I'm sure I got that off here.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56485&highlight=spiders

Look for any major gaps outside too, like around the drainpipes etc and when you leave windows open, especially at night there's normally more.

Funnily enough, I've rec'd a Betterware catalogue this morning and they're selling a spray that's supposed to stop spiders from getting into your house :)

Originally posted by LellyBee

Funnily enough, I've rec'd a Betterware catalogue this morning and they're selling a spray that's supposed to stop spiders from getting into your house :)

It sounds like a waste of money - there are so many possible ways spiders can enter houses that you would probably have to spray the whole house from top to bottom, and also do it regularly. I think a better and cheaper way of dealing with your spider issue would be to convince yourself that British spiders are harmless (which they are).