Sheffield Forum

Living in Woodseats?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

14-08-2010, 11:54   #1
Dave650

Total Posts: 8,456
Anyone live in the area? I know it reasonably well, but would like peoples opinions on living there? Particularly near the main strip of shops & pubs (chantery to the abbey pub etc).
Cheers in advance!
_______
14-08-2010, 12:25   #2
lyndix
forum trumper

Total Posts: 8,679
where else can you be so close to the city and all amenities yet so close to the countryside. I love living round here
_______
MISSING FROM S8!! Black, long haired cat called Custard. Much loved family member, please contact if you see her!
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=844345
14-08-2010, 12:43   #3
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher

Total Posts: 8,729
It is a great place to live. Has every amenity you could wish for including several supermarkets and lots of pubs.
_______
Roadtrip Movies Please view my local roadtrip movies. All shot from a moving vehicle around sheffield streets, airports, snake pass etc.....
14-08-2010, 14:17   #4
Dave650

Cheers for the responses
Any everydays problems? Crime? is the traffic unbearable up chesterfield road?
_______
14-08-2010, 14:20   #5
lyndix
forum trumper

Total Posts: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave650 View Post
Cheers for the responses
Any everydays problems? Crime? is the traffic unbearable up chesterfield road?
I try and avoid chesterfield rd at rush hour but its never unbearable.
Don`t think the crime is bad at all, theer is the odd incident round where I live but nothing to complain about. Theres a great community spirit.
_______
MISSING FROM S8!! Black, long haired cat called Custard. Much loved family member, please contact if you see her!
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=844345
14-08-2010, 14:28   #6
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher

I am not aware of any local crime and I have lived in woodseats for about 17 years. All my neighbours are great and I am on speaking terms with all of them. As for chesterfield road traffic, I seriously do not find it a problem, it looks worse than it is. It does crawl past the main drag of shops, but after that it isn't bad into town.
I believe that the worst holdups are further out on meadowhead, this means that if you join Chesterfield road in woodseats you miss the worst of it.
_______
Roadtrip Movies Please view my local roadtrip movies. All shot from a moving vehicle around sheffield streets, airports, snake pass etc.....
15-08-2010, 18:01   #7
Dave650

Cheers for that guys.
I was originally looking at the top side of chesterfield road as it appealed to me more but was exploring the other side of the road today around holmhirst road which seemed nice. Is it just in my head or are there proper pros and cons to each side?
Are the roads round holmhirst used as rat runs at all? Noticed traffic calming etc.
_______
Sponsored Links
15-08-2010, 18:06   #8
Yog Sothoth

Total Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee View Post
It is a great place to live. Has every amenity you could wish for including several supermarkets and lots of pubs.
Yeah, lots of mediocre to crap pubs.
_______
When the stars are right, Yog Sothoth will open The Gate, and the Old Ones will return.
15-08-2010, 18:52   #9
Dave650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog Sothoth View Post
Don't forget spoonies!
_______
15-08-2010, 18:53   #10
BritishProud

Total Posts: 1,114
Can't beat the area, has no anti social behaviour, no crime, proud to come from woodseats, also abbey lane is a good area too.
15-08-2010, 18:53   #11
BritishProud

Total Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Don't forget spoonies!
Gets very busy at night, good atmosphere.
15-08-2010, 19:11   #12
nerosun

Total Posts: 120
Theres the odd Alco trying to sell you 1.5 ltrs of Vodka for twelve pounds and fifty pence, other than that it`s sound
15-08-2010, 19:24   #13
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog Sothoth View Post
I'm not a pub snob.
Looking at your location it is worth remarking that we sometimes have a wander up to the pubs of norton lees, just five minutes walk from woodseats, I have had many saturday nights in the prince of wales.

And also the pubs at heeley bottom, about 20 mins walk down hill. where there is the excellent white lion and the beardy real ale pub sheaf view.

Another easy walk is millhouses, where the waggon and horses is a real gem and the robin hood is quite good.

So a Woodseats resident has a pick of around 18 pubs which can easily be walked to, for anyone who likes a pint there really is superb variety available.
_______
15-08-2010, 19:27   #14
Dave650

Happy with the pub situation
Then again I'm not too picky where I drink aslong as there's not people doing lines off the table next to me.
Quote:
Cheers for that guys.
I was originally looking at the top side of chesterfield road as it appealed to me more but was exploring the other side of the road today around holmhirst road which seemed nice. Is it just in my head or are there proper pros and cons to each side?
Are the roads round holmhirst used as rat runs at all? Noticed traffic calming etc.
Would anyone be able to advise on this?
Ta
_______
15-08-2010, 19:36   #15
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher

The roads around holmhirst road are not used as rat runs any longer because the council has made traffic calming measures and put a one way section in.

Years ago we used to get chavs racing up and down to try to beat the traffic on the main road, but not now, the roads are fairly quiet.
_______
16-08-2010, 07:55   #16
Yog Sothoth

Total Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr postman View Post
Gets very busy at night, good atmosphere.
Gets very busy at night, no atmosphere.

Good beer though.
_______
When the stars are right, Yog Sothoth will open The Gate, and the Old Ones will return.
16-08-2010, 12:11   #17
Tuns

Total Posts: 29
I've lived in Woodseats for a bout 10 years and overall it's a great place to live. The roads around Homhirst are very nice and there isn't a major traffic problem there.

Some pros:

Fantastic range of ameneties within a short walk including massive Graves Park and more shops than you can handle.
Still a community spirit/feel about living here. Very friendly compared to some places
Far more Blades than the other lot.
Decent schools (not the best but far from the worst).
Low crime - obviously it has its problems but it's always felt very safe to me and my family.
Never short of curry or Chinese options

Some cons:

Pretty poor pubs in Woodseats itself - though this is always going to be down to personal taste, it's a view shared by quite a few people I know.
Poor choice of restaurants if you like eating out.
Not good getting home if you're trying to get down MEadowhead though they've recently changed the traffic system again so that may improve a little
16-08-2010, 12:12   #18
Shiesh
Yummy mummy

Total Posts: 4,274
I live up at Norton but shop in Woodseats regularly...you can't beat it IMO...prefer it to Ecclesall Roads pubs/eateries/shops...would have no hesitation in living there if my circumstances ever changed.

Dil Shad is a superb indian and Hong Kong Chef is a fab chinese!!

_______
Behind every successful man is an exhausted woman!!
Shiesh in Action!!
♥ Don't cry because it's over! Smile because it happened! ♥
16-08-2010, 17:20   #19
Dave650

Cheers Tuns, Shiesh - very helpful.
Decided now
_______
16-08-2010, 17:26   #20
rubydazzler

Total Posts: 20,437
I've lived in Woodseats for 20 years now and can't see myself ever moving to anywhere else within Sheffield. It might not be the most sophisticated area but we have a little bit of everything you need, doctors, dentists, libraries, a variety of shops, a nearbyish swimming pool, good transport links, plenty of takeaways, a post office, pubs, several reasonable restaurants, a great butcher and a wet fish shop. We even have a bookshop! and three parks within easy walking distance. And two primary schools and in catchment for one of the better secondaries.

And I live there ... what more could you possibly want!
_______
"Queen of spin"

Last edited by rubydazzler; 16-08-2010 at 17:44. Reason: forgotten to mention the schools.
Reply To Topic