Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Discussions regarding Forgemasters retracted loan (Merged Threads)

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

07-06-2010, 15:11   #1
stressconsul

Total Posts: 1,234
With 800 Sheffield jobs on the line lets hope Forgemasters get the money!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ld-cable-clegg
07-06-2010, 15:22   #2
RazorSHarp

Total Posts: 2,337
The money isn't there ??? that's not Cleggs fault, it's the excesses of previous Govt that have lead to tough decsions being made now.

I for one think that lending £80m to a company that almost went bust a short while ago and has less that £12m in annual turnover is a very big gamble.
07-06-2010, 15:26   #3
rossyrooney

Total Posts: 63,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressconsul View Post
With 800 Sheffield jobs on the line lets hope Forgemasters get the money!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ld-cable-clegg
It will be a crucial boost to Sheffield,both financially and morale wise.

Lets hope Clegg is batting for us all and indeed,has the clout to make a difference.
07-06-2010, 15:32   #4
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossyrooney View Post

Sheffield is famous for stainless steel but I don’t seem to remember too much being said about the need for a “financial and morale” boost being needed to stop Outokumpu pulling out.
07-06-2010, 15:34   #5
rossyrooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky View Post
Sheffield is famous for stainless steel but I don’t seem to remember too much being said about the need for a “financial and morale” boost being needed to stop Outokumpu pulling out.
You would have heard it if you had asked me.
07-06-2010, 15:38   #6
daftlad

Total Posts: 8,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossyrooney View Post

Lets hope Clegg is batting for us all and indeed,has the clout to make a difference.
clegg will be only batting for himself as all politicians do
07-06-2010, 15:42   #7
rossyrooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftlad View Post
clegg will be only batting for himself as all politicians do
My sentiments entirely.

But surely this is his chance to show that hes not screwed us over completely.
07-06-2010, 15:43   #8
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorSHarp View Post
The money isn't there ??? that's not Cleggs fault, it's the excesses of previous Govt that have lead to tough decsions being made now.

I for one think that lending £80m to a company that almost went bust a short while ago and has less that £12m in annual turnover is a very big gamble.
Where is the risk in providing it with the money to allow it to get more business in a sector that will be very important for the next few decades? It's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be supported because it pays for itself, it creates jobs in the manufacturing industry (something the coalition said it supports) and it takes hundreds of people off of benefits.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
07-06-2010, 15:47   #9
HeadingNorth

Total Posts: 21,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Gibbon View Post
Where is the risk in providing it with the money to allow it to get more business in a sector that will be very important for the next few decades?

The risk that it might not get the extra business.
07-06-2010, 15:51   #10
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
Well the article says that the only other place in the world about to produce what they are proposing is in Japan so it's not like they seem to have many competitors. Nuclear in this country alone will be big business for the next few decades.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
07-06-2010, 15:54   #11
HeadingNorth

Total Posts: 21,313
Unless, that is, someone suddenly cracks the fusion power problem, or develops a cheap way of lifting large solar panels into space ... or comes up with a power source we haven't even thought of yet.

No business venture ever has zero risk, and Governments, by and large, have an appallingly bad track record of picking the winning bets. This could be because they are politicians and not bankers.
07-06-2010, 15:56   #12
jasd75

Total Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorSHarp View Post
By turnover I assume you mean profit, there's quite a difference between the 2...
_______
Hello!
07-06-2010, 16:01   #13
rossyrooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
Weighed up against the risk that we will stagnate or go backwards.

Sheffield is in danger of losing ground to competitors that it is vastly superior to.

Everyone is aware of current conditions,but it wont stop the excesses of the financial sector greed merchants, against which £80m investment is chicken feed
07-06-2010, 16:05   #14
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 1,865
What has this got to do with the Deputy PM? His portfolio is completely seperate.

This is a matter for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and their Secretary of State. If you want to lobby anyone you'd be better going to the BIS offices next to Ha Ha Bar where the Civil Servants who will likely make this decision work.

By the looks of it Paul Blomfield MP is leading the campaign for Forgemasters: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debate....564.0&m=40618

Also the 800 jobs aren't at threat. It's about expansion, not a bail out.
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
07-06-2010, 16:07   #15
Genuflect

Total Posts: 93
It is very important to Sheffield manufacturing and Sheffield jobs that Forgemasters get the loan. There is much to be lost or won here. If they get the loan maybe I shall begin to give Clegg some of the lost respect back. If they do not Clegg is a traitor and all Sheffield should treat him as such. He has the chance here to show that he cares about his roots.
07-06-2010, 16:08   #16
Genuflect

Total Posts: 93
Banks got bailed out when they made massive losses, why should not a profit making company receive assistance?
07-06-2010, 16:20   #17
rossyrooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post
What has this got to do with the Deputy PM? His portfolio is completely seperate.

This is a matter for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and their Secretary of State. If you want to lobby anyone you'd be better going to the BIS offices next to Ha Ha Bar where the Civil Servants who will likely make this decision work.

By the looks of it Paul Blomfield MP is leading the campaign for Forgemasters: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debate....564.0&m=40618

Also the 800 jobs aren't at threat. It's about expansion, not a bail out.
All i am hoping is if Clegg has the ear of the PM he will do all he can to make the deal come to fruition.

I dont think Blomfield carries much weight with Clegg,but lets hope theres no grudges held.
07-06-2010, 16:21   #18
Tradescanthia
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuflect View Post
Banks got bailed out when they made massive losses, why should not a profit making company receive assistance?
Sounds like we are back to Tory 'monetarism' again. Feed the fat greedy bankers and to hell with industry. Cameron is Thatcher mk 2. Forgemasters is irreplaceable, ask most engineers. Their expertise is second to none. Not be long before South Yorks is desolate again and all the govt. will care about is the South East. Dont depend on Clegg to support us, he wouldn't recognise an engineer if he saw one. He just sits in Camerons pocket pretending to be important, the useless pillock.
07-06-2010, 16:23   #19
hitch_1980

Total Posts: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuflect View Post
It is very important to Sheffield manufacturing and Sheffield jobs that Forgemasters get the loan. There is much to be lost or won here. If they get the loan maybe I shall begin to give Clegg some of the lost respect back. If they do not Clegg is a traitor and all Sheffield should treat him as such. He has the chance here to show that he cares about his roots.
lol....so what your saying is...... clegg is at the heart of sheffield, and it is him alone who causes all the problems, and him alone who sorts them. Ummmmm.....does anyone else see something wrong with that. Ive always thought there are more people in sheffield than one man, or am i wrong?
07-06-2010, 16:28   #20
hitch_1980

Total Posts: 2,827
I was just thinking, dangerous I know Could Mandleson be that underhanded, that he granted the loan knowing that labour would lose, in so doing giving the tories a head ache in this part of the uk, when it comes to cuts? Which would mean, the tories are hated if they dont do the loan, and sheffield stays a labout place.
Reply To Topic