Sign in to follow this  

Have The Times & The Independent dumbed down?

Have the Times and Indy dumbed down?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have the Times and Indy dumbed down?

• Yes
    • No

In their 'compact' format do you think that the Times & Indy have dumbed down?

Curious as it has now been nearly 2 years since they both went tabloid, I think that there has been a change, if you look at the Indy's frontpage now the screaming one story reminds me too much of the Mail.

All excited about the launch of the new sized Guardian - Mon 12th Sept....The revolution of the broadsheet? European size it looks great and keeps the integrity of a broadsheet, just more convenient.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1560525,00.html

What do people look for in a newspaper? Is a daily paper irrelevant in the days of 24 hr TV news and internet access?

Intrigued to hear some answers!

The Independent is my favourite newspaper and I read it all the time.

The Times is a portal into the evil world of News International. Avoid!

(The Sunday Times exempt as it's just the best Sunday paper)

As has been said many times before*, it's not the size that counts.

*Not to me of course.

If there is bias in the times its far less obvious than most papers, and I'd rather have that the Independant which is just too 'magazine-like' for me.

On the occasions when I buy a national paper, my first choice is the Independent. I have thought recently though that it is rapidly becoming more sensational and tabloidesque.

OK, I will agree that it is using Tabloid techniques to capture attention on the newstands... e.g the Statistic or Percentage in huge lettering on the front "£65, 000 000: The cost so far..."

But the content is still sound.

Originally posted by harris

In their 'compact' format do you think that the Times & Indy have dumbed down?

Curious as it has now been nearly 2 years since they both went tabloid, I think that there has been a change, if you look at the Indy's frontpage now the screaming one story reminds me too much of the Mail.

All excited about the launch of the new sized Guardian - Mon 12th Sept....The revolution of the broadsheet? European size it looks great and keeps the integrity of a broadsheet, just more convenient.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1560525,00.html

What do people look for in a newspaper? Is a daily paper irrelevant in the days of 24 hr TV news and internet access?

Intrigued to hear some answers!

I agree the independent always has hysterical stories on page 1-3. But the rest is still as good as ever I think so I wouldnt say it is dumbed down.

One think I miss about the broadsheets is that, when somthing of world-changing significance happened, they would devote their huge front page to it, usually with a huge photograph. The Clapham rail disaster and of course 9/11 are two such events.

Powerful photographs seem to have much less impact in the tabloid editions.

Originally posted by Andy

One think I miss about the broadsheets is that, when somthing of world-changing significance happened, they would devote their huge front page to it, usually with a huge photograph. The Clapham rail disaster and of course 9/11 are two such events.

Powerful photographs seem to have much less impact in the tabloid editions.

Yes, but who wants to read a broadsheet on the train. Far too much hassle!

Originally posted by nightrider

Yes, but who wants to read a broadsheet on the train. Far too much hassle!

Absolutly, and as technology develops, I wonder what will become of newspapers? Is there a future for them at all, or in 10 years time will we all be reading the news on our mobiles or PDAs?

Absolutly, and as technology develops, I wonder what will become of newspapers? Is there a future for them at all, or in 10 years time will we all be reading the news on our mobiles or PDAs?

I've only read the on-line versions for some time anyway so the printed presentation isn't an issue. The Times is definitely dumbed down compared to five years ago although there are still occasional flashes of erudition from some of the columnists.

The Indy I never bought but, I scan it on-line sometimes; sadly most of the really interesting articles are pay-per-view.

The Guardian probably has the most complete on-line version although parts of that now require registration.

The Times is worthless these days, it's bought by people who are too afraid to change to the Telegraph in case they don't like it and feel as if they've wasted 5p. The Independent still has the best journalism, and they aren't as celeb and sport-obsessed as the others, which is a plus. I know this as I work in a paper shop so get to read them all every day while refusing to sell fifteen-year-olds ten Mayfair king size. I am looking forward to the Guardian going to the Berliner format, as faffing about with broadsheets is a pain. I'm surprised the efficency-concious City types haven't gotten the FT to compactify.

Actually why do people buy newspapers to read about sport - wouldn't say British Football Week be a better use of your money than a paper with all that stuff up front you skip over?

A while ago a professional contact mentioned in passing that they dont read newspapers any more. At the time I remember feeling shock and couldnt understand it because I hadnt then had the same level of internet exposure as I am now able to access. It wouldnt surprise me to if everything went on-line because it is so much more cost-effective and cuts out all the distribution channels, etc.