Sheffield Forum

Good butcher in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Foodies

Reply To Topic

30-03-2010, 23:27   #1
Alastair

Total Posts: 4,286
Can anyone recommend a decent butcher in Sheffield which sells high quality meat?
30-03-2010, 23:31   #2
redrobbo
Forum Technophobe

Total Posts: 7,701
I recently used a good butcher in Woodseats - it's a corner shop just along Abbey Road from the Spar shop. I don't know his name though. He was recommended to me for a dinner party I was hosting at a friend's house in Woodseats. I was very satisfied.
30-03-2010, 23:35   #3
mort
BIKKIT !!!

Admin Team
Total Posts: 32,079
I use Crashaws in Hillsborough and I've always had good stuff from them. I think they've got other shops elsewhere in the city but I'm not entirely sure where.
_______
Bringing chaos out of order
Time is a great healer. Unless it's a rash, then you're better off with ointment.
'Reality', sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'
31-03-2010, 00:12   #4
rubydazzler

Total Posts: 20,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrobbo View Post
I recently used a good butcher in Woodseats - it's a corner shop just along Abbey Road from the Spar shop. I don't know his name though. He was recommended to me for a dinner party I was hosting at a friend's house in Woodseats. I was very satisfied.
Is it Ryalls on Abbey Lane? He does great sausage too. Or there's Batty's on Woodseats, just opp Woodseats Hotel (as was) . Their meat is excellent. And you can nip into Baldocks at the same time and check out the fish!
_______
"Queen of spin"
31-03-2010, 08:07   #5
Frankums

Total Posts: 43
Send a message via Skype™ to Frankums
Crawshaws are very good, and I usually use them. I've always found Whirlow Hall farm shop to be very good quality and good price as well. Many of the farm shops sell their own (local) meat.
31-03-2010, 08:30   #6
katy1981

Total Posts: 4,033
theres a brill one at crospool at the bottom of sandygate road i think its called phillip james. we get all our meat from them for where i work and it is always high quality and tastes brilliant
_______
(insert witty comment here.)
31-03-2010, 10:46   #7
30_degrees

Total Posts: 29
Proper meat at reasonable prices http://sharrowvale.co.uk/details.asp...=RalphThickets

Also supplies more traditional fare such as pigs trotters, cow heel, heart, Ox tail etc.

The meat is good at any time but the meat I ordered at xmas beef, lamb and gammon was terrific, especially the gammon.

Very popular sandwich bar, especially the roast pork.

Avoid lunch time and school run times for easy parking
Sponsored Links
31-03-2010, 12:17   #8
sanman

Total Posts: 1,437
Wasteneys at Grenoside. I think they are the only butcher who have their own abattoir.
Very small but extremely good!
31-03-2010, 14:37   #9
taxman

Total Posts: 18,083
Send a message via MSN to taxman
I've recently discovered Chris Beech on South Rd, Walkley. Fantastic bacon and sausages.. When the other half is away sometime I intend to try everything else he has to offer.
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
31-03-2010, 15:07   #10
Stan Tamudo

Total Posts: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I've recently discovered Chris Beech on South Rd, Walkley. Fantastic bacon and sausages.. When the other half is away sometime I intend to try everything else he has to offer.
I'll second that, I used this butchers when I lived in Walkley and still use it even though I moved down the hill several years ago. Dave and Beryl retired at Christmas and Chris who'd worked for them for a few years took over and it's got even better.

Last edited by Stan Tamudo; 31-03-2010 at 15:48.
02-04-2010, 18:57   #11
SueH

Total Posts: 216
Not quite Sheffield but Clives in Harthill is good. Make all their own pies and sausages etc and roast all their own cooked meats. They will do pretty much anything if you request it if they dont have it.
02-04-2010, 20:47   #12
seadog

Total Posts: 1,148
I can highly recommend yalls on abbey lane, he smkes his own bacon and his meat is wonderful his aged sirloin is to die for and he makes all his own pies, he makes his own black pudding sausages and we recently tried his pork cheese and leek ones they were superb
enjoy
02-04-2010, 20:49   #13
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 74,483
Quote:
He is also my butcher, and is very good.
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
02-04-2010, 20:56   #14
keli666

Total Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueH View Post
Not quite Sheffield but Clives in Harthill is good. Make all their own pies and sausages etc and roast all their own cooked meats. They will do pretty much anything if you request it if they dont have it.
Yeah that is a really good butchers, i'd recommend there to.
03-04-2010, 07:40   #15
ovadebarz

Total Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
I can highly recommend yalls on abbey lane, he smkes his own bacon and his meat is wonderful his aged sirloin is to die for and he makes all his own pies, he makes his own black pudding sausages and we recently tried his pork cheese and leek ones they were superb
enjoy
completely agree. superb place.
10-04-2010, 07:54   #16
robski90

Total Posts: 39
Almost all my meat comes from Ryalls on Abbey Lane. Top notch stuff and good banter while you're there. The homemade black pudding will cure the meanest of hangovers along with a few sausages, some home cured bacon and a couple of duck eggs. The beef from Ryalls is some of the best I've had. There were moans of ecstasy when we were eating a rib eye from Ryalls last week. In fact, I've never had a bad piece of meat from Ryalls which has been the downfall of all the other butchers I've tried in Sheffield at some point. Highly recommended!!

There's always Roneys on Sharrowvale Road, excellent sausages from there. Meat in general is quite pricy but good quality.

Up north there's Coppice House Farm Shop on Rivelin Valley Road. I can highly recommend their burgers, one is a meal in itself.
02-05-2010, 08:26   #17
OhFunkIt

Total Posts: 144
Heatherhill Farm Meats
05-05-2010, 18:36   #18
Stan Tamudo

Total Posts: 4,946
Quote:
I popped in to Chris Beech's yesterday and he told me he's reopening the fruit and veg shop opposite in a few weeks, he seems to be single handedly rejuvenating that bit of South Road.
06-05-2010, 16:08   #19
taxman

Total Posts: 18,083
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Tamudo View Post
I popped in to Chris Beech's yesterday and he told me he's reopening the fruit and veg shop opposite in a few weeks, he seems to be single handedly rejuvenating that bit of South Road.
Brilliant news.
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
06-05-2010, 20:38   #20
kitty123

Total Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Tamudo View Post
My partner is a big meat eater and likes to cook he has been to many butchers throughout sheffield but is totally taken with Chris Beech's place on south road in walkley. This place now feeds our family and all our visitors with lots of praise. He seems like a really knowledgable bloke who takes pride in his produce- so I would say give him a try.
Reply To Topic