Sheffield Forum
Your message here

MOT only test centres?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-02-2010, 20:58   #1
icehockeyjoe

Total Posts: 98
I believe there are some MOT only test centres in Shefield which carry out tests but not repairs. Does anyone have a list of these, I'm looking for somewhere as near to Hillsborough as possible?
As a recently qualified driver I am wary of taking the car to the wrong garage and getting stung!
_______
http://www.facebook.com/charlieandelvis
http://www.folksy.com/shops/charlieandelvis
Charlie and Elvis Jewellery
Unique handmade jewellery with a vintage twist!
21-02-2010, 21:11   #2
kevvy

Total Posts: 533
Hi, don't know of any in Hillsborough. There's DOT MOT on Olive Grove Road that just do MOT's. I personally use Amberley Garage on Attercliffe Road, have done for years. They are a good bunch and are totally fair. Kev
21-02-2010, 21:12   #3
amzy87

Total Posts: 426
Hi,
I take mine to Ernest Thorpe MOT garage at Thurgoland. Its only about 15ish mins from Hillsbro.
Really nice guy that does it.
You dont make an appointment just take your car in (best taking it in when u have a couple of hours to spare incase there are any cars in front of you).
My dad has been taking his car there for years and I started taking mine!!

MOT only so no need to make up faults to get more from you.

Mine cost 35 for MOT last year and went straight thru.

Amzy87
_______
:)
21-02-2010, 21:17   #4
amzy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvy View Post
Hi, don't know of any in Hillsborough. There's DOT MOT on Olive Grove Road that just do MOT's. I personally use Amberley Garage on Attercliffe Road, have done for years. They are a good bunch and are totally fair. Kev
I used to use Amberly and found them ok till I took my car for MOT and had to have all brake pipes/pads done.
Cost me 300 which was fair enough, but they had fiddled about under bonet and as soon as I pulled out my sterio started going crackers.
I took it back a couple of days later and they said ''nowt to do wi' us. cant do owt for ya''!!!

Took my money and then wouldnt have a look at summat they'd messed up.

Didnt go back again!
_______
21-02-2010, 21:38   #5
kevvy

Total Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzy87 View Post
I used to use Amberly and found them ok till I took my car for MOT and had to have all brake pipes/pads done.
Cost me 300 which was fair enough, but they had fiddled about under bonet and as soon as I pulled out my sterio started going crackers.
I took it back a couple of days later and they said ''nowt to do wi' us. cant do owt for ya''!!!

Took my money and then wouldnt have a look at summat they'd messed up.

Didnt go back again!
Perhaps you'd have been better going straight back, rather than leaving it a "couple of days". Kev
21-02-2010, 21:43   #6
John X

Total Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzy87 View Post
MOT only so no need to make up faults to get more from you.
Can I just suggest a tip if anyone suspects they are being diddled.

If they advise replacing a part and you are not in a position to check whether it needs replacing or not, ask them to keep the old parts and give you them when you collect the car.

My sister did that when they said she needed new brake discs. They came back and said that they couldn't do it for a couple of days, so she said she'd take the car elsewhere and bring it back for the re-test. So they gave her the ticket and made the discs an 'advisory' as they were 'borderline.'

She still has the same discs on her car, 20,000 miles later, four years later and three passed MOTs later.

To be fair to most MOT testers they don't usually make stuff up as the test is fairly strict and if you put in a complaint and it is upheld, they will lose their testing certificate and that will cost them about 30,000 a year.

John X
21-02-2010, 21:45   #7
amzy87

Thought it was just me being silly to be honest. And i picked the car up in my lunch break on a Friday (reason I know is cause I had to wait for payday to get it fixed!) so was after the weekend when I had the chance to get back there.
Amzy87
_______
21-02-2010, 22:42   #8
HATHER-SAGE

Total Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehockeyjoe View Post
I believe there are some MOT only test centres in Shefield which carry out tests but not repairs. Does anyone have a list of these, I'm looking for somewhere as near to Hillsborough as possible?
As a recently qualified driver I am wary of taking the car to the wrong garage and getting stung!
hi i can take care of this hassle free..mick
_______
MOBILE MOTOR MECHANIC/AUTO ELECTRICIAN/WELDING AND BODYWORK .CAR VALETING.SERVICING,MOTORBIKE AND SCOOTER REPAIRS.AND CARAVAN REPAIRES 40 YEARS IN THE MOT0R TRADE.HN-NVQ II..VOSA REG...PHONE 07891295319 MICK
22-02-2010, 04:14   #9
Unregistered

Total Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehockeyjoe View Post

I believe there are some MOT only test centres in Shefield which carry out tests but not repairs. Does anyone have a list of these, I'm looking for somewhere as near to Hillsborough as possible? As a recently qualified driver I am wary of taking the car to the wrong garage and getting stung!
You're much better off with a test & repair centre that the people trust,
with a fine reputation for not stinging newly qualified drivers.

Hi Q of Leppings Lane comes to mind.
22-02-2010, 08:51   #10
longiesta

Total Posts: 616
i have used DOT MOT a few times, thought they were really good..
22-02-2010, 12:02   #11
qazitory

Total Posts: 1,794
Send a message via AIM to qazitory Send a message via MSN to qazitory Send a message via Yahoo to qazitory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're much better off with a test & repair centre that the people trust,
with a fine reputation for not stinging newly qualified drivers.

Hi Q of Leppings Lane comes to mind.
Hmmmm self advertising.... ?
22-02-2010, 13:05   #12
Unregistered

Total Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazitory View Post

Hmmmm self advertising.... ?

Actually........no.

I'm a very satisfied Hi Q customer.

Several years ago, Hi Q earnt my custom through their honesty.

They deserve my custom and they will continue to get my support
until they let me down.

Then I'll dump them and find somewhere else.
22-02-2010, 13:07   #13
queenofblack

Total Posts: 4
DOT MOT is the only testing station in Sheffield that is unbiased & does not do MOT repair work therefore have nothing to gain from failing your car. My car failed and they wouldn't even recommend another garage in case they didn't repair mine right. Top notch testing well worth the 53.95.
23-02-2010, 10:47   #14
drumstick

Total Posts: 33
If you want a totall impartial MOT from a testing station that will not fail you in the hope of getting some work from it why not use the Sheffield City Council testing stations on Olive Grove Road and Staniforth Road.
The testing stations are used for testing council vehicles, taxis etc and do not carry out repairs so will not fail you in the hope of getting some work from it. They are manned by fully trained MOT testers and have all the best equiptment to carry out the tests and can be used by members of the public. telephone (0114) 203 7421 for more details
Reply To Topic