Why do two of my radiators need bleeding so much?

Hi,

Two of the radiators in my house (upstairs landing and bathroom) seem to go cold on the top half quite often. I seem to have to bleed them every week or two. All the other radiators in the house are fine.

Any ideas why these two keep doing this?

Thanks

At a guess you have a leak , might only be a drip , but thats all it takes. It could be anywhere on the system but obviously the upstairs rads loose water first.

What type of boiler do you have?

Our radiators was the same. We was constantly having to bleed them and then the heating system started to bang and then we ended up with 2 tiny leaks in the pipes downstairs and one of them has ruined my laminate floor :rant: but the gas guy comes out tightens the pipes where the leak was and apparently turns something down at the tank and now everything is meant to work fine. I will let you know if it does in afew days lol

Or it may be heavy corrosion if its an old system. When you bleed the rads u may smell a type of 'eggy' smell. This is hydrogen sulphide produced from a corroding system. Its also more prevelant in a conventional system that has a hot water cylinder, F&E tank as air can be drawn in more easily than a sealed combi.

So if u have a header tank you could add some Sentinel X400 to break down the ccorrsion and a couple days later add some sentinel x100 inhibitor. Even better would be to add x400, leave few days, drain down, refill and bleed all rads, then add inhibitor.

Sorry for the delay. Found a leak on radiator installed last year. Only small but room next to ones with problems. Guy coming next week to fix, hopefully should fix it.