Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Hillsborough Car Park - parking ticket

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

05-01-2010, 11:42   #1
Red Pete

Total Posts: 88
I have just received a Parking Fine for leaving my car 20min in the 'Urban & Rural Estates' parking permit area at Hillsborough Shopping Centre. Apparently this part of the car park which joins the public one, is managed by a camera. I did not notice the sign which distinguishes the two car parks and consequently I have received a demand for 80, 50 if I pay within 4 days.According to the fine notice from a firm called 'Parking Eye' I am only allowed 15min and I had been there 20. It is quite a threatening demand notice and I was wondering if anybody else had received a similar demand and successfully challenged it? Do I just ingnore it?
05-01-2010, 11:46   #2
BananaSplit
Account Closed

Total Posts: 1,159
Read the Excel parking thread.....
05-01-2010, 11:47   #3
HotPhil
Curry Craver

Total Posts: 8,711
Send a message via MSN to HotPhil Send a message via Skype™ to HotPhil
You'll find a lot of people suggest ignoring them as, although they'll get increasingly aggressive in tone, the notices are widely believed to be unenforceable.
_______
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them....
05-01-2010, 12:29   #4
Chloe091

Total Posts: 109
Send a message via MSN to Chloe091
I had one back in may from g24 at mhall retail park and they sent me a few aggressive letters but i just ignored them and i havent heard anything for a while now
05-01-2010, 12:34   #5
justify

Total Posts: 6
here ya go pal
05-01-2010, 12:35   #6
justify

Total Posts: 6
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=495229
17-08-2010, 21:49   #7
cooljules

Total Posts: 2,601
if people cant notice a sign, then how can they notice a small child or be safe at driving.......................
17-08-2010, 22:03   #8
AJ sheffield

Total Posts: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljules View Post
if people cant notice a sign, then how can they notice a small child or be safe at driving.......................
What child would this be, one of the borrowers.
18-08-2010, 00:00   #9
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Total Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pete View Post
I have just received a Parking Fine for leaving my car 20min in the 'Urban & Rural Estates' parking permit area at Hillsborough Shopping Centre. Apparently this part of the car park which joins the public one, is managed by a camera.
What public one? all of the precinct is private parking.
18-08-2010, 00:18   #10
cooljules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ sheffield View Post
What child would this be, one of the borrowers.
im just amazed at the amount of people saying i never noticed a sign..........so if they cant notice a sign, should they be driving?
18-08-2010, 00:22   #11
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,104
Quote:
im just amazed at the amount of people saying i never noticed a sign..........so if they cant notice a sign, should they be driving?
To be fair, can you be certain that you have noticed every sign which has appeared 8 feet up a lamp post which could be in any area of the car park?

It's one thing saying this to people who have missed signs which are meant to be read from a moving vehicle and which are of a regulation size, but it's a completely different thing saying it to people on car parks when some of the car park operators include very small signs and make them deliberately hard to notice.
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

18-08-2010, 00:24   #12
cooljules

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
To be fair, can you be certain that you have noticed every sign which has appeared 8 feet up a lamp post which could be in any area of the car park?

It's one thing saying this to people who have missed signs which are meant to be read from a moving vehicle and which are of a regulation size, but it's a completely different thing saying it to people on car parks when some of the car park operators include very small signs and make them deliberately hard to notice.
yes i have, its the first thing i look for when i park my car.

Car park operators have to have a sign a certain size and close to the entrance, so no excuse.....
18-08-2010, 01:08   #13
HeadingNorth

Total Posts: 21,315
Quote:
yes i have, its the first thing i look for when i park my car.
It's an unprovable claim, since you would never know you haven't seen a sign. Even where you see one, you might have not noticed some other one (not that it would matter assuming they both say the same thing, but .. you see the point.)
18-08-2010, 02:11   #14
cooljules

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
It's an unprovable claim, since you would never know you haven't seen a sign. Even where you see one, you might have not noticed some other one (not that it would matter assuming they both say the same thing, but .. you see the point.)
its quite simple, i used to work car parks so i know (or did if any law has changed since then) how it works.....
18-08-2010, 08:08   #15
deepcarsteve

Total Posts: 85
If someone is driving and manages to read one of these signs (usually very small writting). I'd say they are bad drivers as not concentrating on the road.

If you look at traffic signs the are big and not many works.

If a simple sign on entrance said PRIVATE CAR PARK. Then I can understand and people deserve to be fined.

But if the private bit of a car park has a sign like this. You may park for a maximum of 15 minutes. If this is exceeded + 400 more words I say fine is not deserved.
18-08-2010, 08:40   #16
Cynic

Total Posts: 2,875
This is probably the wrong thread but does everyone not look for something saying you CAN park whenever you park your car? I will always assume I can't unless something states I can park there for free. So it wouldn't matter what the sign was like as unless I saw it I would assume I couldn't park there in the first place. This could be where people go wrong when they are surprised by unexpected parking charges.

On a few occasions I have wanted to park in what seems like a legitimate place to park but not done so as there was nothing saying it was allowed. It is always safer to do this, I am even pretty wary of parking on a public road if the signage is unclear.

Last edited by Cynic; 18-08-2010 at 08:43.
18-08-2010, 09:13   #17
HeadingNorth

Quote:
its quite simple, i used to work car parks so i know (or did if any law has changed since then) how it works.....
But you don't know that you have always spotted every sign that was being shown. You can't. Nobody ever can.
18-08-2010, 09:15   #18
HeadingNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
This is probably the wrong thread but does everyone not look for something saying you CAN park whenever you park your car? I will always assume I can't unless something states I can park there for free.

Too many people know that, whether or not they're allowed to park, they will get away with doing so because trespassing on private land is a civil offence and almost nobody will bother to go through the courts.

That the Government is now going to make enforcement illegal on private land, means the problem will only get worse.
19-08-2010, 10:40   #19
Red Pete

Total Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pete View Post
I have just received a Parking Fine for leaving my car 20min in the 'Urban & Rural Estates' parking permit area at Hillsborough Shopping Centre. Apparently this part of the car park which joins the public one, is managed by a camera. I did not notice the sign which distinguishes the two car parks and consequently I have received a demand for 80, 50 if I pay within 4 days.According to the fine notice from a firm called 'Parking Eye' I am only allowed 15min and I had been there 20. It is quite a threatening demand notice and I was wondering if anybody else had received a similar demand and successfully challenged it? Do I just ingnore it?
Just to let people know I did ignor the threatening letters and they eventually dried up
19-08-2010, 11:34   #20
dink

Total Posts: 1,905
Just dont do what i heard another sheffield forumer did, ignored them all, they told a small white lie, it wasnt from a Parking company, it was from Sheffield city council for parking in a urban clear way near broomhill, when the signs clearly state you can park there between certain times!

Ignoring it got him a court summons and a larger fine.
_______
Don't feed the Trolls!
Reply To Topic