Sheffield Forum

Somebody a bit scary knocking on my door with a menu (S6)

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

14-11-2009, 15:35   #1
cal3549

Total Posts: 618
Er, a white van just pulled up outside my house. Furious knocking at front door. When I opened the door the guy stuck his head right into the house and started asking me if I'd ever ordered from a particular take away (didn't catch the name of it). I said "no", he said "no, not now - some time ago". I said no again, then he said something about the previous owner of the house asking him to give me a menu (which he had in his hand) Er...made no sense and was rather scary as he seemed a bit edgy and was rather pushy. Didn't go to anyone elses house, and only had 1 menu, not a stack like he was delivering. I told him I wasn't interested and closed the door sharpish, and he got back in van and they drove off. Anyone else had this?
14-11-2009, 15:43   #2
Swan_Vesta
Account Closed

Total Posts: 6,506
Time to invest in a door chain cal - Even as a 6'2, grumpy looking fat lad I enjoy the added level of "Sod off - You're not welcome" that it gives.

Not had it down my end of the road ...... Just a very nice chap last night bringing me a large donner
14-11-2009, 15:44   #3
Andy
Original

Total Posts: 15,032
Seems a bit odd.

Without wanting to worry you, is it possible he was checking if someone was home? If you can remember which take away it was, give them a ring to check if they did indeed send someone with a menu.

It may be worth giving the police a call to see if anyone else has reported similar as it is odd behavior.
_______
"If you're an alien, how come you sound like you're from the North?"
14-11-2009, 15:46   #4
cal3549

Total Posts: 618
Just a bit nervous I suppose. Our house is up for sale and it did occur to me that the photos in the brochures and on the estate agent's website do rather seem to advertise all the nickable stuff you might have in your house. We have a burglar alarm, and a chain (but I confess I never use the chain). Perhaps now would be a good time to start...
14-11-2009, 19:19   #5
squeezy

Total Posts: 316
I'd definately report it, delivery people don't usually go to the touble of knocking, they would simply post the menu through the letter box, i'd agree with Andy that they were probably checking to see if anyone was home.
14-11-2009, 19:19   #6
sirlocksalot

Total Posts: 35
Send a message via AIM to sirlocksalot Send a message via Yahoo to sirlocksalot
also get a door viewer fitted if possible
_______
sir locksalot locksmiths covering sheffield and rotherham
www.sirlocksalot.co.uk
14-11-2009, 19:28   #7
Numpty123

Total Posts: 231
I've had a bad experience recently, since then I don't answer the door to anybody who hasn't phoned and given me notice they are visiting. Sad but true..
Sponsored Links
14-11-2009, 19:31   #8
biglad2009

Total Posts: 86
i would get a door chain.
14-11-2009, 19:35   #9
sirlocksalot

dont expect a lot from a door chain they are only held in by a couple of small screws
_______
www.sirlocksalot.co.uk
14-11-2009, 19:37   #10
natjack

Total Posts: 3,241
I wouldn't trust a door chain, even if it was top quality. They're only as good as the screws and wood holding them on. A good kick and they're usually gone. Don't open the door to anyone you don't know or aren't expecting is the best rule. Like Swan Vesta, I'm a biggish lad and even I don't open my door, I just shout, through the letterbox if necessary.
14-11-2009, 19:40   #11
sirlocksalot

if you or anyone is actually worried about this sort of thing you can have an electric door viewer fitted, it has a large screen on the inside and you can press a button to take a digital image of the person in front of the door
_______
www.sirlocksalot.co.uk
14-11-2009, 19:46   #12
SILLY

Total Posts: 2,381
You said that he put his head inside the door you don't have any keys for a car or anything near the door do you ? I would have thought that he was checking the place out I would definitely report it to the police.
14-11-2009, 22:57   #13
upinwath
Fluffy Bunny

Total Posts: 7,155
I also had a bad experience with a large bloke hammering and banging on the door. The chain (well one of those latch thingies) was on and he could not enter so he was banging to door open and closed to try to break it.
There was an iron bar near the door so I picked it up and held it in striking position while shouting "you had better be <very naughty word here>ing ready for me pal".
I waited for the door to close before flicking off the latch knowing the force of him opening the door would make him stumble.
He did as I expected but, to my surprise, was wearing a police uniform so I decided not to welt him one.
I popped the bar on the floor and said, "good gracious, a policeman!".
He was after me for drugs offences. Turns out he had the right house but it was a pity he was on the wrong street.
Coppers go very red from time to time.
14-11-2009, 23:09   #14
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,156
I find that a german shepherd puts most people off much better than a door chain ever did
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

14-11-2009, 23:16   #15
depoix

Total Posts: 8,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan_Vesta View Post
Time to invest in a door chain cal - Even as a 6'2, grumpy looking fat lad I enjoy the added level of "Sod off - You're not welcome" that it gives.

Not had it down my end of the road ...... Just a very nice chap last night bringing me a large donner
excellent advice there ,but remember the chain is only as strong as the screws ,the ones that come with the chain locks are small and of no use,invest in decent long wood screws for added security

i had to force a door for a neighbour last year ,ger daughter had put the chain on and cut her wrists open ,one push and the chain came away.
_______
i am not a number, i am a man, a person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynT...eature=related
15-11-2009, 12:36   #16
dumpling

Total Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan_Vesta View Post
Glad you enjoy the sheeps face/nose/private parts /heart/liver and anything they can find to put in the mincer
Please google doner meat to see what really goes into it and why owner never eat it
15-11-2009, 12:44   #17
shullie

Total Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
I find that a german shepherd puts most people off much better than a door chain ever did
*laughs*, surprisingly I've found that a large black Akita does the same
_______
best wishes
Shullie
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
15-11-2009, 12:51   #18
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling View Post
Glad you enjoy the sheeps face/nose/private parts /heart/liver and anything they can find to put in the mincer
Please google doner meat to see what really goes into it and why owner never eat it
What about all of the people who know what goes into it and eat it all the same? What's with the snobbery about not wanting to eat organs of animals which we happily eat steaks and roasts from?

Stay on topic please. If you want to start a thread advising everyone else on their eating habits then please do so, but don't try to derail other threads.
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

15-11-2009, 13:34   #19
Swan_Vesta
Account Closed

Total Posts: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by depoix View Post
excellent advice there ,but remember the chain is only as strong as the screws ,the ones that come with the chain locks are small and of no use,invest in decent long wood screws for added security
Absolutely. When we moved into our house I took out the piddly wee screws that would'nt stop a sparrow's fart and changed them to some proper beasts.

Thanks to Dumpling for looking out for my health - As I've often observed, it may not be great but at least it's not crack.
15-11-2009, 14:35   #20
ukstudent
Account Closed

Total Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlocksalot View Post
if you or anyone is actually worried about this sort of thing you can have an electric door viewer fitted, it has a large screen on the inside and you can press a button to take a digital image of the person in front of the door
Where can you get them from and how much?

Cheers
Reply To Topic