Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Mondao Circus animals - Jordanthorpe

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

21-10-2009, 18:59   #1
WarPig

Total Posts: 515
Just been to the Mondao Circus at Jordanthorpe/Dronfield (opposite Bowshaw pub) but had to come away as the missus refused to go in as they had Camels and Zebras, which I understand. (That doesnt mean that I understand Camels and Zebras)

To be honest I never gave it a thought as I assumed that circuses had done away with animals years ago.

There were protesters with banners handing out leaflets at the entrance.

So if you arent happy with circus animals, be warned!
21-10-2009, 21:25   #2
pinkytoes

Total Posts: 38
ooo thank you for that, i was going to go tomorrow but was not sure if i wanted to if animals was involved. I do have mixed feelings about animals in circus.
21-10-2009, 21:30   #3
Sid Umpley
Account Closed

Total Posts: 1,621
i also have mixed feelings.

why is it ok to have a dog on a lead. keep a cat in the house. cage parrots, train a horse to do dressage. but wrong for one to be in a circus?
24-10-2009, 15:31   #4
pinkytoes

well i dont mind domestic animals been used, but think zebras are a wild animal and thats why i wont go.
24-10-2009, 16:26   #5
Tyranna

Total Posts: 2,598
That's a shame; I passed the circus near Woodseats when returning on the bus late at night from a performance; I assumed it might be an animal-free circus focusing on clowns, magic and trapeze; Circus animals do have to be better cared for under more stringent rules; some animals such as bears, lions and elephants are virtually extinct in circuses, as it is far more difficult to provide satisfactory welfare for such large or rare animals; I'm wondering if most animal circuses tend to have scaled down their four-legged attractions to simply horses/zebras and camels, as they are easier to transport and also to leave outside in the open to exercise and graze.
_______
Professional Cabaret Artiste located near City Centre, Equity Member and NON-SMOKER. Details HERE: http://www.tia-anna.com
27-10-2009, 11:12   #6
Sid Umpley
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoes View Post
well i dont mind domestic animals been used, but think zebras are a wild animal and thats why i wont go.
All animals where wild once.

there is a real possibility that the Zebra is 5th generation bred and is no more a wild animal than a puppy.

i just find it hypocritical how people can justify the use of one animal. but not of another.
27-10-2009, 19:11   #7
ab6262

Total Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPig View Post
Just been to the Mondao Circus at Jordanthorpe/Dronfield (opposite Bowshaw pub) but had to come away as the missus refused to go in as they had Camels and Zebras, which I understand. (That doesnt mean that I understand Camels and Zebras)

To be honest I never gave it a thought as I assumed that circuses had done away with animals years ago.

So if you arent happy with circus animals, be warned!
oh please get over it ! its a circus for gods sake circuses have had animals in for hundreds of years its called tradition, the animals are well looked after and fed and if they wernt then it would be closed! protesting is just another excuse for the hand wringers, the unemployed animal protesters and liberal do gooders to moan about something!
Sponsored Links
27-10-2009, 19:25   #8
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Total Posts: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskater View Post

there is a real possibility that the Zebra is 5th generation bred and is no more a wild animal than a puppy.

i just find it hypocritical how people can justify the use of one animal. but not of another.
But if you had any intelligence, you would be able to compose a sentence that is gramatically correct.
27-10-2009, 19:27   #9
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Total Posts: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab6262 View Post
oh please get over it ! its a circus for gods sake circuses have had animals in for hundreds of years its called tradition, the animals are well looked after and fed and if they wernt then it would be closed! protesting is just another excuse for the hand wringers, the unemployed animal protesters and liberal do gooders to moan about something!
Does your arguement apply to slavery then? People have done it for years and it is even sanctioned in the bible.
27-10-2009, 20:31   #10
ab6262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
Does your arguement apply to slavery then? People have done it for years and it is even sanctioned in the bible.
er no humans versus animals i dont think so!
27-10-2009, 21:21   #11
WarPig

Quote:
What is there for me to 'get over'?

I havent complained about the use of animals. In fact I like nothing better than to watch a blindfolded monkey riding on the back of a lion

I was letting folk know about it in case they werent aware. My wife didnt want to go inside so we left, having lost our entrance fee. Just didnt want anyone else to make the same mistake.
27-10-2009, 21:47   #12
ab6262

Quote:
What is there for me to 'get over'?

I havent complained about the use of animals. In fact I like nothing better than to watch a blindfolded monkey riding on the back of a lion

I was letting folk know about it in case they werent aware. My wife didnt want to go inside so we left, having lost our entrance fee. Just didnt want anyone else to make the same mistake.
oops sorry my apologies
27-10-2009, 23:44   #13
WarPig

Quote:
oops sorry my apologies
No probs

I refused to talk to the protesters stood at the entrance, they looked typical 'jobless swampy' types, if you know what I mean. The type that go around attending any protest, just for the sake of it.

I must admit, I never even thought about whether they had animals when I booked the tickets. I assumed they had been banned from circuses ages ago.

Did anyone go to this circus? Was it any good?
28-10-2009, 20:19   #14
craigpugh

Total Posts: 621
For modern, human-only circus try the cabaret's at Greentop- next one is this saturday with a halloween theme. www.greentop.org for info.
29-10-2009, 09:04   #15
pinkytoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskater View Post

i agree, thats why i have not gone to the circus. but i know that dogs enjoy doing things like agility and flyball which is fun for them, but im not so sure the zebra who is a naturaly timmid animal would get so much enjoyment but n other hand that dont mean the ill treated. thats why i have mixed feelings.
29-10-2009, 09:10   #16
boutiquechoc
loony tunes

Total Posts: 2,772
I don't agree with animals in a circus!! and I would've thought this had been banned some years ago?

I was secretly happy to see that an 'ice skating bear' had mauled a worker at a circus. I was happy but then I got sad when I thought that the bear will have probably been shot after that.
_______
Sheffield Forum: A place where if you have nothing remotely interesting to say, you will pick on spelling and grammar.
03-12-2009, 12:16   #17
Sid Umpley
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
But if you had any intelligence, you would be able to compose a sentence that is gramatically correct.
ah, the old defence of those with nothing to contribute.

critisise the spelling!
03-12-2009, 12:25   #18
sedith

Total Posts: 2,933
Its out there in the back of beyond because Sheffield won't allow animals in circuses.
03-12-2009, 12:47   #19
RobbyBrown

Total Posts: 1,197
[QUOTE=WarPig;5557127]Just been to the Mondao Circus at Jordanthorpe/Dronfield (opposite Bowshaw pub) but had to come away as the missus refused to go in as they had Camels and Zebras, which I understand. (That doesnt mean that I understand Camels and Zebras)

So if you arent happy with circus animals, be warned![/QUOTE]

To be fair, if you are unhappy with the circus, you can't blame the animals.

They are merely doing what they have been trained to do
03-12-2009, 21:46   #20
WarPig

[QUOTE=RobbyBrown;5699112]
Quote:

So if you arent happy with circus animals, be warned![/QUOTE]

To be fair, if you are unhappy with the circus, you can't blame the animals.

They are merely doing what they have been trained to do
I think the animals have to share some of the responsibility. Take the tigers for example, they are capable of doing more than just jumping through 'firey hoops'. The tigers should use more imagination!
Reply To Topic