Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

24-09-2004, 12:36   #41
katrina

Total Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally posted by fuddyduddy
Anyone remember The Our Clubs booklet in the sixties and seventies it held all the concert nights of the clubs in the Sheffield area.There were the big clubs ial House ,Smithywood,Manor,
Arundel,St Phillips and the small ones: La Plata,Hartley House.
A group could have a full diary for the year and never go out of the area there was so many.
I remember seeing Bitter Suite at the Dial House when they had the brass section,wow what a full sound when they played numbers such as "Breaking Down theWalls of Heartache" .At the
Hillfoot Club I remember the "Vantennas" coming on to the high stage such an unassuming bunch of lads far different from the pop star image of the Suite but boy what a sound they dished out from "Penny Lane" to the vocally testing "Good Vibrations".
One incident I remember was one Saturday night in 1967
at Tinsley WMC .The concert room was full to bursting at 8:00pm
but the group had not arrived from the Birminghamarea,Suddenly they arrived for some reason brought the gear through the audience pushing and knocking the audience about .By this time the audience had taken an intense dislike to their would be entertainers and the chairman was in two minds whether to let them on or not.Anyway by 08:30 they were on .An unusual group
who decided to utilize the clubs grand piano but adding a small keyboard of there own underneath.The keyboard player proceeded not to play but to explain to the audience that the small keyboard was called a "Mellotron" consisting of loops of tape and pressing the keys a string sound was heard this was to prove they hadn't a tape recorder under their sleeve.The audience was not impressed familiar cries of "get on with it" were
heard around the room and I feared the worst for the group.Then they at last started to play ,for all the world it sounded like Mantovani and his orchestra was up there not four lads the tune was "Theme from a Summer Place" .I looked around the room it was just like that film "The Producers" with the musical Spingtime for Hitler. Jaws dropped audience aghast.When they finished the number there was total silence then as one the audience were on there feet clapping and shouting for more ,all was forgiven Musical technology had arrived in Tinsley!!
24-09-2004, 12:46   #42
katrina

Total Posts: 39
I remember hillfoot WMC. we used to go on daytrips to cleethorpes as my father was a member. i also remember a few club turns from the late 60s. frankenstein and the munsters (Ray Stuart) who has since died. the daisies. johnnie calendar group, the O'haras playboys, the new formula. frank White Band, and many more. I also used to go to the black swan to see club acts when Terry Steeples had it and before that in 1968 to the canon hall and the warncliffe at firth park
24-09-2004, 14:40   #43
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,058
Quote:
Originally posted by katrina
I remember hillfoot WMC. we used to go on daytrips to cleethorpes as my father was a member. i also remember a few club turns from the late 60s. frankenstein and the munsters (Ray Stuart) who has since died. the daisies. johnnie calendar group, the O'haras playboys, the new formula. frank White Band, and many more. I also used to go to the black swan to see club acts when Terry Steeples had it and before that in 1968 to the canon hall and the warncliffe at firth park
I thought that Ray Stuart was the brains behind 'Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers?' (the group who did "The Monster Mash")

I remember Ray Stuart's jingle on the radio,It used to make me smile every time I heard it

It consisted of the opening bars of "the crazy world of Arthur Brown" 's song "Hellfire!". (or "Fire" or whatever it was called)
it went

{song}" I am the god of hellfire and I bring you........."

{ordinary voice}"Ray Stuart"
PT
25-09-2004, 15:13   #44
rocklobster

Total Posts: 15
Anyone remember Octopus from the 70's.they were really heavy for working mens clubs ,but had a massive following.Used to play a lot of Yes stuff as well as there own,also brought an album out.When they packed up, the drummer joined Mungo Jerry,but the singer Paul Giggs who was the driving force behind the band changed direction completely and joined Guys and Dolls,how naff was that .
27-09-2004, 13:47   #45
pitsmoorlad

Total Posts: 1,845
Me and my mates used to go to the Philadelphia club to see the strippers.(at 18 you do these things). Most memorable was one who started in a cat suit, complete with tail, and near the end of the show pushed both boobs into a bowler hat and sang " I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts". The image has stayed with me all these years. Talent like that should always be appreciated.
29-09-2004, 14:15   #46
poppins

Total Posts: n/a
MY DAD USE TO GO TO SHEFFIELD LANE TOP PUB, IT WAS HIS SECOND HOME, TOOK BETS FROM THERE ON THE HORSES, HAD A NICE LITTLE BUISNESS FROM THAT, TILL HE GOT CAUGHT !
THEN DEVENSHIRE ARMS BECAME HIS NEXT HOME, ONLY SAW HIM WHEN WE TOOK BOTTLES BACK, HAD TO BE 50 YEARS AGO.
02-10-2004, 17:05   #47
Timbuck

Total Posts: 578
Is there anyone who used to go to the A.E.U. Club on audition nights and see the new act's Auditioning for the Concert Sec's trying to get work on the Sheffield Club circuit..Some were awfull and some were great..I remember the club was a bit of a dump no carpets just sawdust, and beer was served with a rubber hosepipe.
07-05-2005, 13:03   #48
desy

Total Posts: 920
I use to go to Midhill club around the mid 60's and went out with one of the comittee members daughters he was Fred Widgoose and his daughter was Susan she moved somewhere on Norfolk Park I think! Seen her brother John on the odd occasion.
07-05-2005, 17:16   #49
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,058
Quote:
Originally posted by desy
I use to go to Midhill club around the mid 60's
the Midhill Club is now "The Earl Marshal".

My dad used to take me and my sisters to the Midhill Club when we were younger, on a sunday lunchtime as a treat.

I also remember going to The Park and Arbourthorne Club, (the "Top Club") with my parents and grandparents.
I remember the tombola games, and how everyone used to have to be silent whilst the game was played, nad woe betide anyone who made the slightest noise "whilst t' numbers wuz bein' called! " lol

PT
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
07-05-2005, 17:36   #50
frenchfrie

Total Posts: 141
Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.
_______
If a man says something in the middle of a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?
07-05-2005, 18:29   #51
jami

Total Posts: 15
what about the spa club ron delta tony white JHONNY CALENDAR an old friend of mine who is still working abroad god bless him
dad was on the committe and mum worked behind the bar

GOOD TIMES WAS HAD BY ALL
07-05-2005, 19:45   #52
Albatross

Total Posts: 284
Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.
07-05-2005, 21:05   #53
desy

Quote:
Originally posted by Albatross
Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.
I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.

Not knocking Johnny use to know him when he was a kid in the days round upperthorpe decent bloke

Last edited by desy; 14-05-2005 at 10:29.
08-05-2005, 04:55   #54
Albatross

Total Posts: 284
It wasn't as I found him. I was in a group myself and know the guys I mentioned and it was just like old times.
08-05-2005, 09:21   #55
tosh13

Total Posts: 4,374
Quote:
Originally posted by frenchfrie
Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.
My Mum worked behind the bar at the Upper Heely WMC In the 70s & my Dad was a regular as well.
12-05-2005, 18:34   #56
GJ2004

Total Posts: 164
Send a message via Skype™ to GJ2004
Quote:
Originally posted by desy
I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.
my wife and i used to go out with johnny and his wife in the eighties when he lived in hiilsborogh we always found him great fun and good company we met him in benidorm about 10 years ago he was still the same
_______
Friendship is not an unshakable bond, itís like a gigantic sand dune seemingly huge and permanent but one day you get up and it's gone.
13-05-2005, 19:54   #57
roughy101

Total Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally posted by Hal9001
I remember going to see Johnny Calendar Band at the Woodhouse West End WMC. Everyone was over 40 and they were singing stuff by Styx and other rock bands. They all looked bemused, but the band was very good. This was about 1980, if my memory serves me right.
we go and see him at talk of the coast benidorm looking a bit weatherd now but still got a cracking voice
15-05-2005, 17:56   #58
depoix

Total Posts: 8,240
Quote:
Originally posted by Timbuck
Ron Delta..I knew Ron..he was a very clever and funny entertainer and he should have been one the top comedians in Britain on theaters and Television..but whenever he went to auditions or he knew that someone from some top line agency was there to vet him the pressure used to be too much for Ron to handle, so he would have a Drink or two to steady his nerves..and this was his downfall co's he always seemed to lose his edge when he had drink...but for me, when he was in top form he could be the funniest man in the world..On or off stage he never stopped entertaining..I rememeber one night in the Dial House Club bar he was chatting away to a well known glamorous Lady vocalist in front of dozens of onlooking people ..a normal sort of thing to do if you are in the entertainment business..but the young lady was unaware that Ron's trousers were dropped round his ankles.

He had a friend called Bobby Warner (a drummer resident at the Marples six day licence Pub) who was just as mischieves as Ron and some of the exploits they performed together are ledgendary.
bobby is still around,goes in the masons ,infirmary road,used to live near him on kelvin flats
24-05-2005, 12:25   #59
deelightful3

Total Posts: 1,541
just heard that the dial house club is locking its doors for the last time next friday.
24-05-2005, 12:44   #60
desy

Have they finally decided they are going to build on the land. Suprised there hasn't been another outburst. Similar to when planning application was turned down last year.
Reply To Topic