Your message here

Morrisons,Ecclesfield cash machine "warning"

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-07-2009, 20:56   #1
SV500

Total Posts: 672
Just found my HSBC account has been "cleaned out"
The only place I ever use the HSBC card (now cancelled) was the atm at morrisons at Ecclesfield (the 3 side by sides),
Obviously its been reported to the fraud office and Ive been told "it'l be alright",but Ive not felt as sick in years
The scum have taken everything Ive saved over the last 5 years (from ATM''s down south) and Im clinging to the hope I'l get it back,

Its the first time this has happened to me,but its obviously been happening for a while around the city,

Just be carefull,and keep an eye on your bank ballance,

JJ..
13-07-2009, 21:10   #2
djelibeybi

Total Posts: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV500 View Post
The only place I ever use the HSBC card (now cancelled) was the atm at morrisons at Ecclesfield (the 3 side by sides),
Obviously its been reported to the fraud office and Ive been told "it'l be alright",but Ive not felt as sick in years
The scum have taken everything Ive saved over the last 5 years (from ATM''s down south) and Im clinging to the hope I'l get it back,

Its the first time this has happened to me,but its obviously been happening for a while around the city,

JJ..
Thanks for the "head's up", JJ, and hopefully you'll be protected in some shape or form as the withdrawals were made so far away.

Are you able to give us an idea of roughly when your account details were stolen?
_______
www.dizzytimes.com supporting sufferers of balance disorders
13-07-2009, 21:15   #3
AndyLonsdale

Total Posts: 99
There must be a spate of this in Sheffield this week. Mine was cleaned out last wednesday, got some of it back today, but not all of it.
13-07-2009, 21:20   #4
barrywhite

Total Posts: 191
Can't understand how this happens!

Look at the cash machine, does it look different in any way?

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org...re/-/page/498/
13-07-2009, 21:27   #5
SV500

It went during the first part of this month,but I only just checked the account today,

JJ..

Last edited by SV500; 13-07-2009 at 21:40.
13-07-2009, 21:30   #6
Stockers

Total Posts: 6,311
Same happened to me with HSBC, i don't know where they got my card number from but 2500 was cleared out on a mobile phone website.

I was treated like a thief by HSBC but got my money back after about 2wks.
13-07-2009, 21:33   #7
Lady Star
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,642
Quote:

JJ..
The bank will just give you your money back - that's why the people who do it say it's a victimless crime - trouble is it puts you at an inconvienience whilst the bank close your account for a few days in order to investigate, and you often have to change your account number so have to wait for a new card!!! What I don't get is how you only use your account at one cash point???
13-07-2009, 21:36   #8
Stockers

Total Posts: 6,311
I think my card details were nicked from a petrol station in london, i never found out for sure though.
13-07-2009, 21:43   #9
Lady Star
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
I think my card details were nicked from a petrol station in london, i never found out for sure though.
I lost mine in Manchester in 1993 - t'was a curry house that took most (but not all) of my cash - I was a student, and I think they underestimated how much cash I had (I worked 3 jobs) so only went for 300! Still a pain waiting for investigation and getting a new card!!!
13-07-2009, 21:45   #10
SV500

Il get a new card in a few days,but as said its the inconvinience of having no money,
I always cover the pad when I put in the code,and never use the atm unless someone is with me,but I still got done

Don't think Il be using morrisons atm's again,

JJ..
13-07-2009, 21:50   #11
d71146

Total Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Il get a new card in a few days,but as said its the inconvinience of having no money,
I always cover the pad when I put in the code,and never use the atm unless someone is with me,but I still got done

Don't think Il be using morrisons atm's again,

JJ..
I never ever use a cash machine unless its inside the bank branch even then I cover the pad when I key in numbers I usually get cash back at the supermarket.
I always use the same little garage for my petrol.
13-07-2009, 22:11   #12
DYKWIA

Total Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLonsdale View Post
There must be a spate of this in Sheffield this week. Mine was cleaned out last wednesday, got some of it back today, but not all of it.
Just wondering why did you only get some of it back ?
13-07-2009, 22:30   #13
The Manager

Total Posts: 4,667
I asked at the bank about this card thing going on , and they stated where you can please use cash machine inside the banks or inside shops etc it seems its a on-going thing across sheffield
13-07-2009, 22:52   #14
watchcoll

Total Posts: 927
a pcso today told us to have a good look at any cash machine we use and cover our pin as a cash machine in stocksbridge was found with a card reader and camera on it. dont know where tho.
i will go to a bank from now on....

and check my account online
13-07-2009, 23:45   #15
iansheff

Total Posts: 4,029
I never use the machines these days I go in my local agency and draw cash over the counter.
14-07-2009, 00:06   #16
JJRB

Total Posts: 151
I agree, use ATMS inside banks as would be a great risk to a thief to install a skimmer on an internal ATM as they will be on camera. Use cashback at supermarkets as well.
14-07-2009, 06:48   #17
AndyLonsdale

Total Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Just wondering why did you only get some of it back ?
because it was my debit card that was cloned, anything that has been spent is sat in some mysterious "maestro account" somewhere, waiting for the retailer to claim the cash. when they can't claim it as my card details have now been cancelled etc, it automatically bounces back into my account. it can be anywhere between 1-3 weeks for this to happen.

this is the explanation from someone at the bank, wether i'm being spun one , i don't know.
14-07-2009, 06:53   #18
missflirtuk

Total Posts: 3,972
This happened to my OH's aunty. She was telling me, that the bank had cancelled her card as her card had been scammed, so when she needed money she had to go to her branch to get it out and not just the cash machine. Think these people have been watching too much Real Hustle. Knowing how to scam bank cards like that. What happened to the days when Ecclesfield was a nice safe crime-free area. Seems like it is just crime central these days. It was the HSBC cash machine she had used as well.
_______
X My little Princess took her 1st steps on Mon 17/08/09:D such a proud mummy moment X!
14-07-2009, 08:46   #19
Cynic

Total Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by missflirtuk View Post
What happened to the days when Ecclesfield was a nice safe crime-free area. Seems like it is just crime central these days.
To be honest this type of crime doesn't really indicate an area of high crime. The people who install the devices just pick ATMs that are suitable (location, CCTV etc) . Usually in areas where there are likely to be wealthy people using the ATM so there is more money to steal. Not quite sure the last bit applies to Ecclesfield though!
14-07-2009, 11:46   #20
EmilyM

Total Posts: 1,451
One of my colleagues was only saying to me yesterday that he has had some unusual activity on his bank account, he'd assumed it was his wife, but it was not.
Reply To Topic