No alcohol outdoors!

Just read this on The Times website. Basically, it appears that “controlled drinking zones” have been set-up which prohibit alcohol within them. Fair enough in some circumstances, but confiscated un-opened alcohol from someone as they leave an off-license?! Sounds more like theft, in my opinion!

It annoys me already that it's illegal to sit in the park in the sunshine with acold beer or a glass of wine. Current legislation already covers excessive alcohol, littering, anti-social behaviour et al, so why is additional legislation deemed necessary? Given the government (and council) eagerness to build tiny flats with no outside space under the guise of "city living", many people have nowhere to sit outside in good weather, so have to go to parks.

:rant: Rant over.

I can't see it being a problem to be honest, yes it theory it's well out of order to the normal non-trouble causing folk, but come on, how many police do you see at the park in the first place, let alone rummaging around in your bags for alcohol.

Unfortunately, I've seen Police confiscating alcohol from people in Endcliffe Park. Not massive groups either - two couples having a picnic with a single bottle of wine between four of them. They were made to pour it away; the equivalent of a small glass of wine each. Sadly, I can see the Police loving legislation like this - easy to enforce as the people they'll target are the ones who aren't used to being approached by the Police.

There's 2 young guys on the feild across from Myrtle Rd right now blotto with a bottle of sherry and a 3ltr of cider,my dog didn't like the look of them and neither did i.

There's 2 young guys on the feild across from Myrtle Rd right now blotto with a bottle of sherry and a 3ltr of cider,my dog didn't like the look of them and neither did i.

I don't blame you. But surely adequate laws already exist to enable the Police to take action - if they're not busy pestering generally law-abiding citizens.

this is like the brown bag law in america,all intoxicating drinks have to be covered up,usually in a bag provided by the store

Unfortunately, I've seen Police confiscating alcohol from people in Endcliffe Park. Not massive groups either - two couples having a picnic with a single bottle of wine between four of them. They were made to pour it away; the equivalent of a small glass of wine each. Sadly, I can see the Police loving legislation like this - easy to enforce as the people they'll target are the ones who aren't used to being approached by the Police.

That's MASSIVELY unfortunate and even MASSIVELIER uncommon (i suspect).

I wouldn't be so silly to crack open in say, the peace gardens or anywhere else with a brown paper bag brigade, although I'd more likely get it knicked than confiscated, but Endcliffe Park??? Anyhow I continue to stand by what I said in my earlier post, chances are there isn't going to be extra police force employed to monitor the parks.

If you fancy drink in a public place then make sure you consume one these concoctions;Carlsburg special brew,Tennants super,Lynx super or White lightning.I don't drink any of these lovely beverages but I've not failed to notice that they seem invisible to the police.

That is exactly who the ban is aimed at. Unfortunately the people who picnic in the park suffer too. We all know that there are people who abuse alcohol in public places and cause a nuisance and intimidate people. Maybe you could find a pub with a beer garden?

bad news for the chavy gangs of teenagers on the street corners ,with their white lightening of an evening :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bad news for the chavy gangs of teenagers on the street corners ,with their white lightening of an evening :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't think the police will bother these people,if you read brianthedogs post he says that the police will pick on the easy targets ie;law abiding citizens who if they are drinking in public spaces will be doing so sensibly.I totally agree with him.

Really? the controlled/no drinking zone is only around the town centre, anything from waitrose roundabout - uni roundabout to the edge of the city etc is OK, or so I was told, have they extended these zones now? I always have a drink with my BBQ down endcliffe park and have never had any probs.