Retraining as a hairdresser - advice needed

Hello Forummers:) I'm probably not posting this is the correct place but hopefully someone will move it to its correct location.

I want to retrain as a hairdresser; it's something I've wanted to do for a long time but I really need some impartial advice. I'm 26 years old so I believe I'm 'past it' as far as getting an apprenticeship goes. I've seen some fast-track courses from various academies such as SAKS, Nicky Oliver, Toni & Guy etc & I've been considering taking one of these courses. They are quite pricey so I'd like a little advice if possible.

What I want to know is:

1. Has anyone taken these types of courses & if so what did you think about them?

2. Would I be considered for employment ater taking one of these courses?

3. Are there any ther routes into hairdressing for mature people/adult learners

Also any advice (the good, the bad & the ugly) from any hairdressers on the forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

My friend retrained at nightschool whilst still holding down her 'day job' as a mature student then got a job when she was fully trained .............. however, shes contemplating jacking it in and going back to her other job as the moneys not that good apparently

I'm 26 and went to college part time just over a year ago to do hairdressing. It was one day a week, 10am-4.30pm and had loads of clients in which was good. The prices are about £500 unless you are getting certain qualifying benefits but you can pay by installments. But that was North Notts College in Worksop.

During the course you also get a chance to do extra things for a small charge, I did ear piercing for £25 and 3 hours which included the kit and your qualification certificate but you can also do other things like spray tan and nails and tooth gems and stuff.

I'd get a job in a salon and do part-time training and part-time work.Nothing works as well as 'on the job' training,don't let anyone tell you otherwise.Plenty of salons are short staffed these days and would be sure to accomodate you.

I trained as a hairdresser and barber at castle college.I had a work placement in a salon working 9 till 6pm tues to sat and Monday 9am till about 8pm in college for 2 years . It was a fair few years back now!I know a few people including a past employer who did these fast track courses and they dont work ok if you have had previous training and want extra training.I changed careers as the pay was rubbish and my heart wasn't in it.Good luck :)

Edited by waddy

I'd get a job in a salon and do part-time training and part-time work.Nothing works as well as 'on the job' training,don't let anyone tell you otherwise.Plenty of salons are short staffed these days and would be sure to accomodate you.

You do get 'on the job training' at colleges as they have salons and paying customers. There are no tutors standing next to you telling you what to do, it is a real salon.

I also went to college,the salon there does not compare to a real salon in MY opinion.My college education taught me relatively little compared to working in actual salons.also on a recruiting front we tended not to bother with 'college only' applicants,we found people who worked hard and were really interested in their job came from salon's.

I also went to college,the salon there does not compare to a real salon in MY opinion.My college education taught me relatively little compared to working in actual salons.also on a recruiting front we tended not to bother with 'college only' applicants,we found people who worked hard and were really interested in their job came from salon's.

What college did you go to then? We had 3 salons always fully booked and it was exactly like working in a real salon. Having got family with their own salons I found it to be exactly the same.

I was taught more in the time i was in college than a friend of mine was taught in a salon, but I suppose when your tutor has done the hair for many shows and won awards you know your gonna get a high standard of teaching.

I was at Castle college,How can it be like a real salon if everyone is training,how can you draw from experienced stylists with paying clients if there aren't any.my recollection of my college clients is old people wanting a cheap haircut,not very discerning at all.

may be yours was a different experience

I don't want a silly debate on this I'm offering MY opinion to blueblossom,she can make her own conclusions.

Edited by nyala

Yep I did one of these fast track courses you are talking about. Have PM'd you. Good luck to you if you decide to do one!

I did two years full time at college many many years ago. Learnt a lot but still need to work in a salon to 'fine tune ' everthing!After leaving college was when I really started to learn...! Personally I think college is important for the basic so you learn to do things properly without picking up someone elses bad habits...which everyone will get over time.

For speed and experience you then need some time in a salon.

When I was at college there was someone who was your age...the only thing she found difficult was the classroom work...after being out of the school enviroment for so long.

good luck.