Sheffield Forum

Noisy pipes after flushing toilet?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

08-05-2009, 14:52   #1
nicelady

Total Posts: 107
when i flush my loo, after the tank has filled up again....the pipes make a dreadfull sound,, shaking and banging.. this goes from the toilet down to the mains pipe under the cellar. I have already tried turning down the flow on the main water pipe but it doesnt make any difference, and if i turn anymore, then the water is gonna just trickle out of the taps....
Any ideas??
08-05-2009, 14:56   #2
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 74,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelady View Post
when i flush my loo, after the tank has filled up again....the pipes make a dreadfull sound,, shaking and banging.. this goes from the toilet down to the mains pipe under the cellar. I have already tried turning down the flow on the main water pipe but it doesnt make any difference, and if i turn anymore, then the water is gonna just trickle out of the taps....
Any ideas??
Its the ball tap that is boucing when it comes to shut off, or its the washer on one of the cold household taps or stop tap. Send for a plumber!
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
08-05-2009, 15:35   #3
Sheffnewb

Total Posts: 257
Could be something called "water hammer". A plummer will sort it. We stoped ours by gettin a plumber to replace the normal ballcock type arrangement in the systern with a "flomaster". They sell them in wicks and B&Q type places
08-05-2009, 17:22   #4
Crosser

Total Posts: 1,471
Yep! It looks like you have "Bouncing Ballcock Syndrome" (Nasty!)
_______
"Not many other cities have a large web forum where people can join and discuss issues relevant to the local area. Unfortunately, Sheffield does."
08-05-2009, 17:33   #5
carosio

Total Posts: 2,666
Replace with a "Fluidmaster", cheapest I think at Homebase-easy to fit and you can see videos of job on internet. It is best to keep your stoptap fully open or your household cold water system may not flow as it should; open tap up to max. and then back off a bit to prevent future jamming.
08-05-2009, 20:48   #6
adamcarr123

Total Posts: 38
replacement of the balltap would be the best option also the pipes need to be clipped to the wall this stops any water hammer. easy and cheap job i would charge aroung 30

glad to help

adamcazzy123@hotmail.co.uk
Reply To Topic