Hallamshire Maternity Home Chapeltown

Can anyone enlighten me on history of Hallamshire Maternity Home and are there any old photos of the building

Many thanks Lorraine

I was born there in 1963.

• Like 1

I was born there in 1963.

Sorry off topic but my son was born there Sept 25th 1962, I'd love some pictures too. The matron was an angel she was a big part of the birth of my son, I'd love to know her name.:thumbsup:

hello again joto, i was born there on february 9th 1958. the next time i speak to my mum i will ask her if she remembers the matrons name. maybe its the same one. also i think my sister was born there sept 1960. im not sure if the originall building is still there,denis,s brother steven lives just round the corner, i will ask him.

hello again joto, i was born there on february 9th 1958. the next time i speak to my mum i will ask her if she remembers the matrons name. maybe its the same one. also i think my sister was born there sept 1960. im not sure if the originall building is still there,denis,s brother steven lives just round the corner, i will ask him.

It's not there now. It was demolished several years ago.

is that what was also known as chapeltown hospital? if so my brother was born there in 72 not long before they turned it into a nursing home for the elderly

is that what was also known as chapeltown hospital? if so my brother was born there in 72 not long before they turned it into a nursing home for the elderly

That's the one. When the Royal Hallamshire Hospital opened, it's name was changed to Chapeltown Maternity Hospital. Later it became a nursing home.

My first child was born there in 1970, not a very 'up to date place', nursing methods and attitudes were very old fashioned. Fathers were treat like an infection, to be kept as far at bay as possible. Our next child was born in NGH, we refused to agree to use the Hallamshire. Some people loved the place, but we did'nt. We found NGH maternity much more comfortable.

Where abouts in Chapeltown was it located?

Where abouts in Chapeltown was it located?

turn left just after where the flats used to be going up burncross road and it was a few hundred yards up there on the left or roughly behind the swimming pool,(roughly)

I remember it being in the Hunshelf Rd/Steven Crescent area of Burncross, on the council estate. I remember some pre-fabs around there as well.

I remember it being in the Hunshelf Rd/Steven Crescent area of Burncross, on the council estate. I remember some pre-fabs around there as well.
yeah thats right, there was quite a few of them, there still standing.