Sheffield Forum

Opticians Withholding PD (Pupillary Distance) Reading

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

23-03-2009, 10:36   #1
MTheo

Total Posts: 4,286
Send a message via MSN to MTheo
Iíve just had a recent eye test (speccy all my life) and when I mentioned I was going to look around for a couple of weeks before buying new glasses this prompted them to tell me that they would not be able to give me my PD (Pupillary Distance) reading which could effect any glasses I get elsewhere.

This sounds like scare tactics and a way to bully you into buying from a high street branch, ok fair enough they have 2 for 1 offer on and maybe I could find some specs there, but Iím wondering if they are allowed to withhold this information? Iíve paid for an eye test and itís my own personal information so it seems a little odd they can do this?

I do not doubt this reading is important and I do have quite bad eyesight so obviously I donít want to take any risks in getting cheaper ones that will damage my eyesight further.

Anyone have any more in-depth knowledge or ideas on this?
_______
Don't do as I do, do as I say

Singers Required for Recording only
23-03-2009, 11:01   #2
andyrad29

Total Posts: 3,209
they cannot hold this from you. tell them you have paid for the eye test and you are well within your rights to demand it.
23-03-2009, 11:02   #3
feargal
bitterly caustic

Total Posts: 2,497
Tell them you're going for a consultation for laser vision and need your full prescription. My opticians have never witheld info. The tinkers!
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
23-03-2009, 11:06   #4
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,777
PD is not an element of the obligatory prescription.
They could have just given you a copy of your prescription which would not include PD and said nothing.

It is extremely easy to measure, however. You can do it yourself and any other optician would have checked this measurement without charge.
They just hold a ruler up to your eyebrows!

However, if your optician has been so petty as to say they with withhold this measurement, I would take my custom elsewhere and let them know why.

Last edited by cgksheff; 23-03-2009 at 11:57.
23-03-2009, 11:41   #5
MTheo

Total Posts: 4,286
Send a message via MSN to MTheo
It was Dollond & Aitchinson by the way.
_______
Don't do as I do, do as I say

Singers Required for Recording only
23-03-2009, 14:03   #6
alankearn

Total Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTheo View Post
I’ve just had a recent eye test (speccy all my life) and when I mentioned I was going to look around for a couple of weeks before buying new glasses this prompted them to tell me that they would not be able to give me my PD (Pupillary Distance) reading which could effect any glasses I get elsewhere.

This sounds like scare tactics and a way to bully you into buying from a high street branch, ok fair enough they have 2 for 1 offer on and maybe I could find some specs there, but I’m wondering if they are allowed to withhold this information? I’ve paid for an eye test and it’s my own personal information so it seems a little odd they can do this?

I do not doubt this reading is important and I do have quite bad eyesight so obviously I don’t want to take any risks in getting cheaper ones that will damage my eyesight further.

Anyone have any more in-depth knowledge or ideas on this?

I have never bought specs from this website but it does give a good discription on how to measure your Pupillary distance

http://www.onestopglasses.co.uk/faqs...-distance.html

I have bought specs from here three times and found them OK

http://www.specsonthenet.com/

The first time I bought them I did not know my Pupillary distance and I used the average distance of 63, by the time bought my second pair I new my proper distance (61) but I could not see any difference in the two pairs so i think you don't have to be absolutely spot on with your measurement

Last edited by alankearn; 23-03-2009 at 16:18.
23-03-2009, 14:06   #7
Berberis

Total Posts: 8,485
Tell D&H to go forth and multiply.
Sponsored Links
23-03-2009, 14:42   #8
andyrad29

Total Posts: 3,209
I have used www.glassesdirect.co.uk and found them to be brilliant! cant beleive i have paid full whack prices all my life. i got some for just over £20 from them
03-05-2010, 10:57   #9
Simon young

Total Posts: 7
Hi Mtheo,

I am an optician and I can tell you that they legally are required to give you information that was found in your eye test. As part of the eye test they will record the PD - which is pupillary distance - eg distance between your pupils. If you have a high prescription this measurement is very important. It will not damage your eyes if you get the PD wrong - but it may result in eye strain and headaches.

What is your prescription and I will be able to help you further?

Thanks

Simon
06-05-2010, 07:04   #10
Metsuki.com

Total Posts: 2
Opticians are NOT obliged to provide your PD measurement following an eye test in the UK, even when you've paid for it. In fact the College of Optometrists and the General Optical Council are advising their fee paying members only to provide the PD when glasses have been purchased in store.

"Give Me My PD" is an active campaign aimed at changing the law to require the PD to be added to your prescription following an eye test and making it easier for you to buy your glasses wherever you choose.

This is my first post on your forum so I cannot post any links.

However you can sign the petition by adding the usual www prefix to this address: givememypd.epetitions.net you can also learn more and read the debate on the issue at pupillary-distance.net

Ewan McFarlane
MD Metsuki.com
06-05-2010, 08:20   #11
auto98uk
Lost the Game

Total Posts: 10,857
However, if you send them £10 and a letter stating that you want a copy of all information they hold on you under the FoI Act, they cannot refuse to send it to you. Not that it is worth £10 obviously.
24-08-2010, 22:16   #12
libuse

Total Posts: 1,553
Just wondered if anyone has had an update on this? I have contacted Scrivens, who did my last eye test a couple of years ago, and they have said that they will not supply PD measurement as there is "no legal obligation to do so". I will not be giving Scrivens the money for my eyetest again due to this response, so wondered if anyone had found an optician that does supply PD measurement?
24-08-2010, 22:44   #13
Obelix

Total Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto98uk View Post
However, if you send them £10 and a letter stating that you want a copy of all information they hold on you under the FoI Act, they cannot refuse to send it to you. Not that it is worth £10 obviously.
Since when did the FoI act apply to D&H?
24-08-2010, 22:51   #14
libuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Since when did the FoI act apply to D&H?
Possibly the poster meant the DPA? I'm not sure that the FoI applies to D+A either
24-08-2010, 22:53   #15
Obelix

I don't think that your PD is classified as personal info - so they wouldnt have to supply it either.
24-08-2010, 23:01   #16
Nagel

Total Posts: 4,843
I suppose the way forward is to ask in advance of the test if they will supply the PD measurement and if they won't then go to another optician.

I was thinking of doing this then buying glasses online from Glasses Direct. I can see that the regular offline opticians feel protective towards their trade and in many cases won't want to supply the information, but this is all part of a wider conflict between offline and online shops thats happening right now. People will use a shop's showroom to look for what they want then go back home and look for a better price online.

What's the solution for the future?
24-08-2010, 23:03   #17
libuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I don't think that your PD is classified as personal info - so they wouldnt have to supply it either.
What a shame as it just makes some opticians look like self-serving profiteering monopolistic bandits really doesn't it. Actually I think the PD measurement could be classed as personal data given the description within the DPA, so I might try that route next
24-08-2010, 23:07   #18
Obelix

It's not personally identifying info.

My PD is 64mm. Try and ID me from that....
25-08-2010, 06:27   #19
Metsuki.com

Total Posts: 2
Have a listen to the debate about pd measurements on last weeks Radio 4 Your and Yours programme bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009fnxz

and sign the petition to change the law givememypd.epeititions.net
there are almost 2000 signatures now.

Alternatively get a FREE PD Ruler from metsuki.com metsuki.com/pupillary_distance-free_pd_ruler.php and measure your pd yourself
25-08-2010, 11:18   #20
Nagel

Total Posts: 4,843
That's handy, but the correct link is:

http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_dis...e_pd_ruler.php
Reply To Topic