Your message here

How to bump start an automatic car

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

09-03-2009, 18:24   #1
callippo

Total Posts: 3,976
Send a message via Yahoo to callippo
just got a vintage automatic car for next to nothing. It's in good condition and just sailed through its MOT, starts first time and so on but I was wondering just now, if you have to, how do you bump start cars like this where you can't slip it into gear. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.
09-03-2009, 18:29   #2
depoix

Total Posts: 8,239
as i understand it you cant bumpstart an automatic car unless your being towed and doing around forty miles per hour, i
could be wrong though
_______
i am not a number, i am a man, a person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynT...eature=related
09-03-2009, 18:33   #3
NumbBum

Total Posts: 125
You don't bump start - there are many reasons why you should not even try. The best way is to jumpstart. Automatic cars should always have a set of jump leads in the boot.

Mike
09-03-2009, 18:35   #4
Missdan

Total Posts: 656
No you really can't bumpstart .
09-03-2009, 18:37   #5
walkertelecoms

Total Posts: 1,705
I bump start my automatic every morning.

No I don't really, you can't.

_______
Telephone Line & Data Engineer Sheffield & South Yorkshire
Line Extensions, Relocations, Repairs, Broadband, FreeSat & Sky Magic Eye, Data.
Tel: 07854 321024

www.walkertelecoms.com
09-03-2009, 18:38   #6
Crosser

Total Posts: 1,472
Dont even try it, it will almost certainly wreck the gearbox.
_______
"Not many other cities have a large web forum where people can join and discuss issues relevant to the local area. Unfortunately, Sheffield does."
09-03-2009, 18:39   #7
callippo

Total Posts: 3,976
Send a message via Yahoo to callippo
can you push start one, using another car to push it, or does it require too much speed to practicably get started in this way with an automatic?
Sponsored Links
09-03-2009, 18:43   #8
fozzybear210

Total Posts: 775
I used to know how to but I've forgot. If I remember Ill let you know
_______
You're boring me to death and I'm already dead....................you're boring me BACK to death.
09-03-2009, 19:01   #9
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,439
Even rolling an automatic without the engine running is potentially dangerous to the gearbox- the oil doesn't circulate around the gearbox without the engine running (which is why you can't tow an automatic without the driving wheels off the ground).

Get some jump leads and maybe a power pack instead.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
09-03-2009, 19:06   #10
walkertelecoms

Total Posts: 1,705
Eh? To tow an auto you just put the thing in neutral, the gearbox n engine are then fully disengaged, there's nothing moving apart from the wheels. An auto-box will only engage with a running engine.
_______
Telephone Line & Data Engineer Sheffield & South Yorkshire
Line Extensions, Relocations, Repairs, Broadband, FreeSat & Sky Magic Eye, Data.
Tel: 07854 321024

www.walkertelecoms.com
09-03-2009, 19:07   #11
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,439
So that's why the manual for the last 4 cars I've had said that they couldn't be towed then?

I'll take the manufacturers opinion thanks.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
09-03-2009, 22:20   #12
jasontsang

Total Posts: 322
auto have torque converters and not directly connected to engine, So you cant bump start a auto, While on a manual it is connected via clutch
09-03-2009, 23:20   #13
olorin

Total Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkertelecoms View Post
Eh? To tow an auto you just put the thing in neutral, the gearbox n engine are then fully disengaged, there's nothing moving apart from the wheels. An auto-box will only engage with a running engine.

Apart from the wheels and the entire drivetrain....including the sun, planet and ring gears. An autobox is always fully engaged with the wheels, it's just not engaged to the engine in N. Unless the lube pump is driven from the output shaft which is very uncommon it will trash the gearbox.

It is possible to bump one if you go fast enough but you are driving the impellor the wrong way and it is very inefficient to do so. Hence as people point out you can do it if you go fast enough, and 40mph is the sort of speed you need. It really really isn't advised.
09-03-2009, 23:48   #14
WallBuilder

Total Posts: 4,314
An automatic can be towed a short distance at low speed but to be ssafe it's probably better to make sure the drive wheels are lifted clear of the road.
I've never heard of an automatic being bump started and I'm sure my Haynes manuals said as such.
If anyone is going to invest in a set of jump leads don't go for the red one's usually under 5 with crocodile clips about the same size as clothes pegs they tend to be useless and can start melting. Far better to spend more cash and get a heavy duty pair that wouldn't look out of place in an AA van.
Old automatics in cold weather can be a pain to start which is why I usually carried a fully charged spare battery in the boot along with my jump leads of course.
_______
Life, don't talk to me about life
10-03-2009, 09:09   #15
foxy lady

Total Posts: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallBuilder View Post
An automatic can be towed a short distance at low speed but to be ssafe it's probably better to make sure the drive wheels are lifted clear of the road.
I've never heard of an automatic being bump started and I'm sure my Haynes manuals said as such.
If anyone is going to invest in a set of jump leads don't go for the red one's usually under 5 with crocodile clips about the same size as clothes pegs they tend to be useless and can start melting. Far better to spend more cash and get a heavy duty pair that wouldn't look out of place in an AA van.
Old automatics in cold weather can be a pain to start which is why I usually carried a fully charged spare battery in the boot along with my jump leads of course.
I have an automatic. My OH got me a "Power Pack". It has a built in battery, an air pump and a pair of jump leads. It can be used to do emergency starts. If it doesn't work first time you can recharge it whilst having lunch and try again.

I have never used it. My prefered emergency start technique is to call Green Flag and have lunch whilst they start the beast.
10-03-2009, 09:46   #16
alternageek
LI Moderator

Total Posts: 6,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
So that's why the manual for the last 4 cars I've had said that they couldn't be towed then?

I'll take the manufacturers opinion thanks.
Ive had plenty of automatics towed and didnt need to be on the back of a flatbed tow truck. Car went into neutral and towed from the back wheels. Though Ive never had a car be towed for more than 45 minute drive or so.
10-03-2009, 10:01   #17
JoeS
Liaison Officer

Total Posts: 765
Bump starting a car is typically only possible in manual transmission vehicles, as automatic transmissions often rely on hydraulic transfer of power from the engine to the gearbox for their operation.

Thankyou Google.
10-03-2009, 11:14   #18
gazza61

Total Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by callippo View Post
just got a vintage automatic car for next to nothing. It's in good condition and just sailed through its MOT, starts first time and so on but I was wondering just now, if you have to, how do you bump start cars like this where you can't slip it into gear. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.
no dont try you cant one reason being the torque convertor can be damaged and is expensive to replace.
10-03-2009, 11:16   #19
Indiana Lee

Total Posts: 6
Automatic Transmission
1. Easier to drive.
2. Faster off the line acceleration.
3. Less components to replace. (such as clutch)
Manual Transmission
1. Better Fuel efficiency
2. Better power control.
3. Lighter weight.
4. More power due to lack of drive line components
10-03-2009, 11:58   #20
Aries22

Total Posts: 2,871
Send a message via MSN to Aries22
l have had lots of automatic cars, and never had to jump start them, get a new battery in.
_______

Its not what l was, or what l am, it's what l am going to be
Reply To Topic