Sheffield Forum

Wicker Camp Championship Muay Thai Boxing

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Sport & Activities

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 12:10   #1
stussonicos
Registered User
stussonicos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: just on the edge
Total Posts: 310
Sheffield Muay Thai Gymnasium Wicker Camp will be holding a day of championship Muay Thai Boxing at the Octagon Centre on Sunday March 29th March.
Helene Garnett, undoubtedly one of the UK's greatest female fighters, will be facing Letitia Bakissey for a World Title.
Mehdi Firoozi and local fighter Shaun Lomas will be back in the ring together in a grudge match with the winner taking a Commonwealth Title.
Thomas McCormick will be fighting in a British Title Eliminator bout (opponent TBC).
There will also be a full under card show casing many of Wicker Camps up and coming fighters alongside fighters from some of UK's greatest Thai Boxing camps.
Tickets cost 25.
Doors open at 12. First fight at 1pm.
Tickets can be ordered by contacting Sheffield Thai Boxing Gym on 0114 2795470
_______
You can't quit me baby...
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2009, 12:51   #2
chefkicker
Registered User
chefkicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussonicos View Post
Sheffield Muay Thai Gymnasium Wicker Camp will be holding a day of championship Muay Thai Boxing at the Octagon Centre on Sunday March 29th March.
Helene Garnett, undoubtedly one of the UK's greatest female fighters, will be facing Letitia Bakissey for a World Title.
Mehdi Firoozi and local fighter Shaun Lomas will be back in the ring together in a grudge match with the winner taking a Commonwealth Title.
Thomas McCormick will be fighting in a British Title Eliminator bout (opponent TBC).
There will also be a full under card show casing many of Wicker Camps up and coming fighters alongside fighters from some of UK's greatest Thai Boxing camps.
Tickets cost 25.
Doors open at 12. First fight at 1pm.
Tickets can be ordered by contacting Sheffield Thai Boxing Gym on 0114 2795470
Hi West
When you say "grudge match" there isnt really a "grudge" is there?
Last time out they fought for the was it a WMTO or ISKA British title?
Do you think it will go all 5 rounds this time? Whats your prediction?
_______
SHEFFIELD KICKBOXING CLUB
Get Fitter , Meet new People , Learn New Skills!!!
07775 914155
www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2009, 15:10   #3
stussonicos
Registered User
stussonicos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: just on the edge
Total Posts: 310
Don't know if Grudge (in the true meaning of the word) is the right word to used to be fair, but there certainly is a fair bit of bad blood between the two of them. Shaun actually trained at Wicker for a very short time, having left there were then claism that he woudl willingly fight and beat several of the lads from Wicker.Mehdi was really annoyed with the way he performed last time and is determind to make ammends this time. Think it was for an ISKA title?
I don't really like to make predicitions as anything can happen - take the last fight they had for example. All I know is I have trained and sparred with both, and I don't see Shaun troubling Medhi in this fight, however Medhi is the only person that can prove me right.
_______
You can't quit me baby...
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2009, 17:35   #4
chefkicker
Registered User
chefkicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussonicos View Post
Don't know if Grudge (in the true meaning of the word) is the right word to used to be fair, but there certainly is a fair bit of bad blood between the two of them. Shaun actually trained at Wicker for a very short time, having left there were then claism that he woudl willingly fight and beat several of the lads from Wicker.Mehdi was really annoyed with the way he performed last time and is determind to make ammends this time. Think it was for an ISKA title?
I don't really like to make predicitions as anything can happen - take the last fight they had for example. All I know is I have trained and sparred with both, and I don't see Shaun troubling Medhi in this fight, however Medhi is the only person that can prove me right.
Hi West
One thing you have to remember, is that Shaun fights not for pride or to be the best he can be but that is how he earns his $$$ for the most part.
Now claims that he would fight and "beat" most of Wicker? I seriously doubt shaun made those claims himself. Mind you, Shaun fights frequently in boxing as well as Thai or even K-1 . Again he takes a lot of fights on short notice for the $$$.
When asked if he would willingly fight the lads from the Wicker the answer is bound to be Yes with pleasure. For Shaun a fight is a fight.
Dont read too much into it would be my advice.

Bad Blood between them??? All because he trained at Wicker then left and founded his own gym?
Fair enough each to their own.
_______
SHEFFIELD KICKBOXING CLUB
Get Fitter , Meet new People , Learn New Skills!!!
07775 914155
www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
06-03-2009, 22:11   #5
stussonicos
Registered User
stussonicos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: just on the edge
Total Posts: 310
No Farhad, you misunderstand. Obviously there are no hard feelings for him having left Wicker Camp (to be honest he was only there a few months) and starting his own gym, how childish would that be - I mean, over the years many people have done that, Russ Connor, Cristian DiPoalo, Lee Chesters, Paul Timmins and there si no bad blood there - some of them are still very much involved at Wicker.
It's more to do with the outcome of the last fight to be honest.

I think it was actually Shaun that called for both fights, whether it be money or pride he strives for I couldn't comment but we all know there's no living to be made fighting in this country, in martial arts at least. That makes me think he's certainly craving some sort pride or sense of achievement - other wise why woudl a 'journeyman' ask to figth a specific opponent?
_______
You can't quit me baby...
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2009, 17:48   #6
chefkicker
Registered User
chefkicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussonicos View Post
No Farhad, you misunderstand. Obviously there are no hard feelings for him having left Wicker Camp (to be honest he was only there a few months) and starting his own gym, how childish would that be - I mean, over the years many people have done that, Russ Connor, Cristian DiPoalo, Lee Chesters, Paul Timmins and there si no bad blood there - some of them are still very much involved at Wicker.
It's more to do with the outcome of the last fight to be honest.

I think it was actually Shaun that called for both fights, whether it be money or pride he strives for I couldn't comment but we all know there's no living to be made fighting in this country, in martial arts at least. That makes me think he's certainly craving some sort pride or sense of achievement - other wise why woudl a 'journeyman' ask to figth a specific opponent?
West,
Theres not many people out there that actually would fight Shaun. Believe it or not , yes he is what you would term a "journeyman" and Shaun likes to share the ring with high profile names. If anything Mehdi should see it as flattery.
I know Shaun personally so i know how his mind works. Shaun has been known to fight twice in a weekend at totally different weights as well (dont ask LOL). He Boxed (Boxing) on saturday in london at 81 Kg, lost then Thaiboxed in newcastle against one of the Jones Brothers (those lads from beastmasters) at 77kg on the sunday and KO'd him!!!
Crazy eh?
_______
SHEFFIELD KICKBOXING CLUB
Get Fitter , Meet new People , Learn New Skills!!!
07775 914155
www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2009, 19:15   #7
Protekt
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Total Posts: 213
I don`t care if its a grudge match or not, I just want Mehdi to give him a good paggering and drop him with his trademark head-kick.
_______
Never argue with an idiot--they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2009, 19:31   #8
chefkicker
Registered User
chefkicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protekt View Post
I don`t care if its a grudge match or not, I just want Mehdi to give him a good paggering and drop him with his trademark head-kick.
Loving it !!!
On a serious note mate, I have heard all about Mehdis High kicks
To quote Mr T " I pity the fool!!!" LOL

Is Daniel Hudson fighting on the bill? Sounds like a good line up. The last one was cracking.
_______
SHEFFIELD KICKBOXING CLUB
Get Fitter , Meet new People , Learn New Skills!!!
07775 914155
www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
08-03-2009, 22:00   #9
BJJMAN
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Total Posts: 230
Mehdi's a monster. He's really down to earth, technically sound and all round great guy.

I'll go public saying i want Mehdi to win!
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 12:01   #10
farangkiinok
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 13
poster for the show on here,

wickercamp.co.uk/2009/02/world-championship-thai-boxing-octagon-29th-march-2009/
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 12:38   #11
farangkiinok
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 13
jus to add

ticket prices

25 for adult
35 for vip (includes food and drink)
15 junior

tickets still available from gym, or any fighters.

line up as i know,

helene garnett vs. jorina baars(holland) i.s.k.a world title
mehdi firoozi vs. shaun lomas i.s.k.a commonwealth title
thomas mccormick vs. colm gillane
jamie shepard vs. scottish
james ogden vs. mark holmes (bad co)
jamie woodward vs. russell warry(scotland)
lewis hill vs tba
and 2 junior fights jaz meates and james pierce
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 12:47   #12
bladesufc1
Registered User
bladesufc1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Chapletown
Total Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJMAN View Post
Mehdi's a monster. He's really down to earth, technically sound and all round great guy.

I'll go public saying i want Mehdi to win!
he sure is. cant wait for this fight, if he fights like he trains then god help anybody in the ring with him
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 14:05   #13
Jimbobnakap
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 14
Just to add to Tom's post.... you can also sponsor a fight for 350 and in return you get 10 ringside tickets with buffet and wine and the opportunity to advertise as much as you like in the octagon and aslo have an A5 advert printed in the programme.
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 14:16   #14
farangkiinok
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 13
tom hu's tom? im farangkiinok me!!
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 14:40   #15
Jimbobnakap
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 14
5555 sorry i blown your cover slint eastwood
  Reply With Quote
24-03-2009, 21:09   #16
stussonicos
Registered User
stussonicos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: just on the edge
Total Posts: 310
Ahem, back to topic.

Rather than answer all the indidual private messages, yes tickets are available although they are limited.
You can either purchase tickets directly from one of the fighters (if you know them) or get them directly from Wicker Camp by phone or by dropping into the gym.

This is promising to be a very exciting event, miss it and I think you'll be missing some of the greatest fights and fighters Sheffield has seen this year.

Thanks
_______
You can't quit me baby...
  Reply With Quote
26-03-2009, 12:54   #17
carloslechef
Registered User
carloslechef's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Total Posts: 166
way on the flyer it says opens at half 1 and fights starts at half 2 ?????????
  Reply With Quote
27-03-2009, 10:55   #18
farangkiinok
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslechef View Post
way on the flyer it says opens at half 1 and fights starts at half 2 ?????????
yea doors open 1, 1.30ish and first fight at 2.30pm duno what time it will finish, just depends on how many ko's there are
_______
To infinity, and beyond!
  Reply With Quote
27-03-2009, 11:47   #19
chefkicker
Registered User
chefkicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussonicos View Post
Ahem, back to topic.

Rather than answer all the indidual private messages, yes tickets are available although they are limited.
You can either purchase tickets directly from one of the fighters (if you know them) or get them directly from Wicker Camp by phone or by dropping into the gym.

This is promising to be a very exciting event, miss it and I think you'll be missing some of the greatest fights and fighters Sheffield has seen this year.

Thanks
Hi West
Im so gutted i am missing this show. The last one you did at the octagon was really good (even though i spent most of it in the backroom LOL).
Im at Frankie Hudders interclub on that day. I commited to that well in advance. The 29th of march is very busy day for thaiboxing in general!
_______
SHEFFIELD KICKBOXING CLUB
Get Fitter , Meet new People , Learn New Skills!!!
07775 914155
www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
30-03-2009, 13:28   #20
beachec
Registered User
beachec's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Stannington Sheffield
Total Posts: 131
Results 29th March 2009 World Championship Thai Boxing The Octagon

James Pierce (Wickercamp) v Aaron Robinson (Thanapron) James WINS as Aaron withdrew 1st rnd.
Jaz Meates (Wickercamp) v Dan France (Thanapron) Jaz WINS Points
Jamie Woodward (Wickercamp) v Kieron Woods (SMTC Scotland) Jamie WINS Points
Jamie Shepherd (Wickercamp) v Mathew McDonnel (SMTC Scotland) Jamie WINS Points
James Ogden (Wickercamp) v Dougie Clarke (Fighting Fit Scotland) James WINS Points
Lewis Hill (Wickercamp) v Darren Wellwall (Andy Kaufman) Lewis WINS No Contest. (Opponent Injured)
Rajesh Sallen (Team Fearless) v David McIntosh (Bad Company) David WINS Points
Helen Garnett (Wickercamp) v Jorina Baars (Rob Schrijber Holland) Jorina WINS Points (ISKA World Title 66kg)
Thomas McCormick (Wickercamp) v Colm Jillane (Cambridge Freefighters) Thomas WINS Points (ISKA Eliminator)
Mehdi Firoozi (Wickercamp) v Shaun Lomas (BCA) Mehdi WINS Points (ISKA Commonwealth Title 78kg)

A DVD will be available from the Gym .

Wes will give you a full fight report, no pressure Wes
_______
Ten Thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

www.wickercamp.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014