Good Japanese restaurant in Sheffield?

Not a fan of East Ocean and I've heard Wasabi Sabi isn't the best... any tips, any hidden gems?

What about Waga Mamas in town ... Leopold Square I think.

We adore WasabiSabi and go regularly ... would recommend you try it for yourself :)

Is it good for teppan yaki? That's what we're looking for...

Is Wasabi expensive?

I've always found the teppanyaki excellent at Wasabisabi, it's not cheap though.

Afaik, Wasabisabi is the only teppanyaki place in Sheffield where you can sit round the teppan while the chef cooks your food. It's possible East Ocean Cafe have a single teppan you can sit round but I can't seem to remember for sure. Other than that you might find the odd place that does teppanyaki dishes but you sit at a normal table and they bring the food over like any normal dish.

here's a link to their site - you can download their menu - the Teppanyaki dishes are at the bottom with prices:

http://www.wasabisabi.co.uk/

Thanks for your responses - I have had a look at the website before but it seems a bit vague and there are no set menus.

Anyway, thanks very much for the advice :-)

Not a fan of East Ocean and I've heard Wasabi Sabi isn't the best... any tips, any hidden gems?

East Ocean is not strictly a Japanese restaurant. It is a SE Asian fusion restaurant which serves food from different region within SE Asia.

The only 3 supposed Japanese restaurants in Sheffield are the followings:

http://www.yamasushi.org.uk/

http://www.wasabisabi.co.uk/

http://www.sakushi.co.uk/

I have not tried yamasushi, but I have tried Wasabisabi, and Sakushi. I think depending on what it is that you are after, you will get a varied experience from each one. If you want the best of the taste, I would suggest Wasabisabi, for now. Their variations are not huge, but their taste and the sizes are spot on. I also like how they serve their unagi as well. However, they are maybe more expensive than Sakushi. Which is true in a way if you compare it by per sushi pieces. I like Sakushi's attempt to give different variations in its style and ingredients. As Wasabisabi only serve some of the more traditional and classic styles.

Tips are to order the ones which are just made fresh, and not necessarily the ones already pre-made and placed on the belt within the past hour. This will give you an indicator of how it all supposed to taste. Wasabisabi do a good tempura prawn handrolls. When the prawn is deep-fried quickly and rolled with the vinegared rice and crispy seaweed, then this gives a fantastic experience. It is still served warm. However, not every places will take this kind of time to make a sushi and serve it. Even in Japan, I think you have to pay for this kind of time spent on making the actual sushi.

Even if you serve conveyor belt type of sushi, you know it is a better place if they make sure that all the tastes and ingredients are that little bit strong, especially when the temperature that it is served at is nearer to room temperature. This will give a whole different experience of dining.

I don't think I have tasted roasted seaweed in either of these places. Which means they don't necessarily lightly roast the seaweed before using, to give that lovely crisp and aromatic smell of the seaweed. Which is a shame!

I am waiting to try yamasushi after 5pm today, as they say that they do a delivery service too. ;)

My recommendation of the authenticities are:

- go to sakushi if you want a proper Japanese noodle soup based on a fish stock

- go to wasabisabi if you want better imported unagi (eels) sushi

- go to wasabisabi for fresh salmon

- go to sakushi for better pricings

More reviews here.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=354224

Edited by Bago

Thanks for your responses - I have had a look at the website before but it seems a bit vague and there are no set menus.

Anyway, thanks very much for the advice :-)

you need to download the menu - its about as specific as it can get and yes, there are several set meals listed in the Tappanyaki section ... which, again, is at the bottom of the menu :confused:

Oh dear... looks like I missed a trick, haha!

Thanks a lot :)

Thanks for that Bago, much appreciated.

If you don't like Wasabi Sabi, Wagamama's will be vile!!!

I love Wasabi Sabi though - The campo lane one is a sushi bar? Is there a main restaurant part too?

Best Japanese in region is Little Tokyo at the back of the House of Fraser in Leeds... Only reason to go to Leeds :)

I went to Wasabisabi (or Wan Kenobi as per the OH) on Friday night and it was fabulous.

I really liked the food and the service was great.

We were in the normal restaurant part, but could hear all the chears coming from the tepanyaki side.