Sign in to follow this  

Can you impose respect?

So the government has decided they are going to bring back a culture of respect (shades of 'back to basics' and 'return to Victorian values' perhaps?) however it seems that this is going to involve further restrictions on anything seen as 'bad' (e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4071848.stm). Now I have to ask a couple of questions here. Firstly given the failure in the past of banning handguns to stop fire-arms crime why should restricting knives and replica firearms be any more sucessful? Secondly is relying on more and more restrictive laws and generally treating people like children ever going to foster a culture of respect?

I fear not. The "educate, educate, educate" sentiments seem to have been changed to "legislate, legislate, legislate" with more and more restrictions being put in place. Personally, I'd rather parliamentary time was spent debating real issues rather than how best to ensure that I'm aware that a sharp knife can cut.

Many common sense issues seem to have been/about to be the subject of nannying legislation. Time to stop it I say.

The culture of respect and common sense needs to brought back, but legislation isn't the answer - decent education is the answer, and conducted in a system where teachers aren't afraid to (and have the power to) discipline children into listening to their lessons.

Originally posted by hotphil

legislation isn't the answer - decent education is the answer, and conducted in a system where teachers aren't afraid to (and have the power to) discipline children into listening to their lessons.

And for that, you'll need the support of the parents

I always thought respect had to be earned. It cannot be imposed.

It's difficult to see how passing new laws will make any difference at all.

It is quite possible to impose fear, even terror. However, respect is something quite different, and has to be earned. I think it is possible to respect and fear, but if one despises the source of fear, there can be no respect.

respect has to be earned.