NHS Career, how much wages

I and a few friends are thinking about a career move to the NHS, does anyone know what the wages are and what sort of training we would need, bareing in mind that we have day jobs.

as what, doctors, nurses, orderlies, support staff of various persuasions?

Originally posted by Cyclone

as what, doctors, nurses, orderlies, support staff of various persuasions?

Yes all careers please.

Originally posted by micksheff

I and a few friends are thinking about a career move to the NHS, does anyone know what the wages are and what sort of training we would need, bareing in mind that we have day jobs.

Most NHS posts are going through "Agenda For Change" at the moment, which means that grades are being matched to particular jobs. At the moment, there seems to be a lot of downgrading of jobs, so it may be worthwhile checking with your local NHS Authority to see at what stage they are at in Agenda For Change.

Originally posted by micksheff

Yes all careers please.

are you qualified for all their careers? It may look all well and good to decide to be a surgeon and earn (guessing) 60 - 100 k/year, but the training will take a long time and you'll need to support yourself in the meantime.

Originally posted by Cyclone

are you qualified for all their careers? It may look all well and good to decide to be a surgeon and earn (guessing) 60 - 100 k/year, but the training will take a long time and you'll need to support yourself in the meantime.

No we are not qualified but then neither were surgeons, doctors, porters, nurses, denticians, etc before training.

Yeah I wonder what sort of training is available, i.e home study, open university. We need to keep our day jobs to support our selves.

I know of someone at 40 whom was accepted for training as a doctor after doing some open uni study.

Originally posted by Ann_x

Most NHS posts are going through "Agenda For Change" at the moment, which means that grades are being matched to particular jobs. At the moment, there seems to be a lot of downgrading of jobs, so it may be worthwhile checking with your local NHS Authority to see at what stage they are at in Agenda For Change.

Thanks for that Ann, some really good information.

I actually know someone at the moment who has decided to go into medicine (he's a safety engineer at the moment).

He's currently sitting A-levels whilst keeping his current job (day release to college I believe).

Once he's got his A-levels he's provisionally been accepted onto a medicine degree (pending results). I think it's then 4 years degree and 2 or 3 years practical experience as a junior Dr before being fully qualified.

It's not the sort of path you commit too lightly and the salary should certainly be only a part (small part) of the consideration.

I can probably get you the information you require if you ask something specific. 'Agenda for Change' is, as already mentioned, very relevant and more information can be found here

doctors and consultants are exempt from agenda for change (a4c), they are negotiating their own new contracts, which of course will be very benificial to them

nurses and related staff are going through a4c in phase 2 which will end in the next few months

profession supplementary to medicine radiology. pharmacy will be in phase 3 starting in oct 05

biomidical scientists have been put back 4 years as of oct 04 to sort out the thorny problem of out of hours payments as they will be the most affected by a4c

the rates of pay you will be given in some jobs may be only provisional until the gradings are sorted out. your local hospitals human resource dept will be of great help as some jobs have been graded