Sheffield Forum
Your message here

A Rare Bird Sighting in Sheffield.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

16-12-2008, 11:01   #1
Tets

Total Posts: 158
For those bird spotters that might be interested ,my wife and I spotted a flock of Waxwings in a berry laden Hawthorne hedge near to my garden in Sheffield,yesterday. A rare sight and I was able to get a few photos at 10x zoom but quite recognisable. Having had an interest in bird spotting for many years ,I must say this is one of my most interesting sightings.
16-12-2008, 11:06   #2
boutiquechoc
loony tunes

Total Posts: 2,772
Seen them in handsworth on the trees near the furnture unit before (dad pointed them out as he is a keen bird watcher too) There is some website he uses to write what he's seen and others have said they saw the waxwings near there too.
16-12-2008, 11:13   #3
Katya

Total Posts: 509
They usually come into our garden in February or March - perhaps that's on the way back from wherever they're headed now.... We've had over 100 of them twittering away and they are a very impressive sight.
16-12-2008, 11:31   #4
SheffBloke

Total Posts: 395
I thought this thread was going to be about the lack of female talent in Sheffield
16-12-2008, 12:13   #5
boutiquechoc
loony tunes

Total Posts: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffBloke View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about the lack of female talent in Sheffield
idiot
16-12-2008, 12:23   #6
six45ive

Total Posts: 2,881
These were taken recently in Hillsborough. Not by me unfortunately as some of us have to work.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roger/3...pool-sheffield
Apparently there are quite a few around this year as I saw on the weather report last night that so far we've had the coldest December since 1977.
_______
Campaign against archaic religious laws in the UK; http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/
Understanding atheism http://www.atheist-experience.com/
My Panoramio pictures of Shiny Sheffield on Google Earth.http://www.panoramio.com/user/1027207

Last edited by six45ive; 16-12-2008 at 12:26.
16-12-2008, 12:31   #7
Stan Tamudo

Total Posts: 5,106
They are stunning looking birds.I've only seen them once and that was in a relatives
garden in East Yorkshire about 8 years ago.They seem quiet placid and allow you get
close up.
Sponsored Links
16-12-2008, 12:59   #8
astrasri

Total Posts: 80
We usually get a lot of them around Charnock at the beginning of the year, cleaning out the trees of berrys. Had a lot of bird watchers on our road last time.
16-12-2008, 13:05   #9
Greybeard

Total Posts: 10,451
Not that rare in fact, they come over from Scandinavia most winters but move around a lot, a bit like Fieldfares do.

They were once considered to be an omen of a hard winter to come but have been regular visitors in even the mildest winters.
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
16-12-2008, 14:27   #10
LibertyBell

Total Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tets View Post
For those bird spotters that might be interested ,my wife and I spotted a flock of Waxwings in a berry laden Hawthorne hedge near to my garden in Sheffield,yesterday. A rare sight and I was able to get a few photos at 10x zoom but quite recognisable. Having had an interest in bird spotting for many years ,I must say this is one of my most interesting sightings.
Whereabouts are you?
16-12-2008, 14:32   #11
irenewilde
Account Closed

Total Posts: 5,502
There are a lot of waxwings in the area this year - Crosspool and Millhouses are just a couple of the areas they frequent. They are stunning birds. For anyone who's really interested in the comings and goings of birds & where you might see something unusual you can go to the Sheffield Bird Study Group Page

http://www.sbsg.org/

and click on "recent news"
16-12-2008, 15:25   #12
Tets

Total Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyBell View Post
Whereabouts are you?

Gleadless,not far from "astrasri" on Charnock. We have had Fieldfares and Redwings after the same berries,but a year or two ago. Occasionally we get herons after our pond fish. My wife saw one, two or three days ago.
16-12-2008, 16:40   #13
Twitcher

Total Posts: 1,288
I shall keep a look out then! They generally flock to hawthorn trees and bushes, the last time I saw any was many years ago at Meadowhead, I have also seen them at Heeley. They are amazing I would love to see some again.

I saw a flock of Redwings a week ago at the Bannerdale Centre, I was surprised as they're not normally here until February time, so that was a nice bonus!
16-12-2008, 17:30   #14
duckweed

Total Posts: 2,026
I see them in Meersbrook Park every year. They are usually there in the morning. I've also seen redwings and my husband saw a woodpecker yeaterday. There's often a kestrel which I saw take a sparrow in flight.
16-12-2008, 17:49   #15
Rich
DS,Xbox360 gamer

Total Posts: 29,497
Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
Quote:
*tut*

Just because YOU don't get any...
16-12-2008, 17:59   #16
Halibut
Hooked

Total Posts: 28,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by six45ive View Post
These were taken recently in Hillsborough. Not by me unfortunately as some of us have to work.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roger/3...pool-sheffield
Apparently there are quite a few around this year as I saw on the weather report last night that so far we've had the coldest December since 1977.
Lovely picture - thanks. I see you know Roger -if it's the Roger I'm thinking of, (Rivelin Valley Conservation Group) he's a lovely bloke.
_______
This machine kills fascists. Up the Roma!
16-12-2008, 18:17   #17
taxman

Total Posts: 18,219
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Lovely picture - thanks. I see you know Roger -if it's the Roger I'm thinking of, (Rivelin Valley Conservation Group) he's a lovely bloke.
Different Roger I believe, Roger B it says on the photo site, he taught me my Environmental Conservation NVQ, still a lovely bloke though

Most years I've seen the Waxwings near my office either on the way down Hanover Way near the Scottish Reform Church or the trees near Waitrose and Staples.

A couple of years ago there was such a big eruption they were sitting on the roofs and chimneys of Netherthorpe
_______
"I'm not arguing there are no decent people in the Tory Party...But they're like bits of sweetcorn in a turd" Iain Banks.

Discover your family tree
16-12-2008, 19:17   #18
roomsealed

Total Posts: 400
Quote:
pmsl.... how dare you!!!
16-12-2008, 19:20   #19
roomsealed

Total Posts: 400
Iv got a heron.... is that classed as great bird to see in ur back yard?? im not up on birds but getting into it after i saw the size of the beast! Off to get myself some nuts tommorrow...oh and a fish pond to keep the heron happy.
Reply To Topic