Sheffield Forum
Your message here

What fresh meat should i feed my kitten?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Pet Owners

Reply To Topic

16-11-2008, 20:38   #1
jojomarmite

Total Posts: 255
i wanna start feeding my kitten fresh warm meat, but as a veggie, i dont know what would be best. anyone have any advice?
16-11-2008, 20:49   #2
DiamondGirl

Total Posts: 770
Warm meat? Only time I fed my cat warm meat is the odd titbit of beef or chicken from a roast dinner. Not sure about feeding warm meet regularly? Is it for health reasons or just as a treat? Normal cat food is the best thing
16-11-2008, 20:53   #3
jojomarmite

it doesnt have to be warm, just fresh meat like fish. i just want her to be nice and healthy and also want her to enjoy it. she doesnt have any health issues
16-11-2008, 20:56   #4
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,349
If you're feeding her the most nutritionally complete meat then you need to feed her a meaty complete kitten food like Nature Diet or similar. Fresh warm meat is not nutritionally complete unless you include all of the internal organs of the animals which you feed her (which I would consider most horrible if you are a veggie!).

Chicken breast or other cuts of meat that humans like to eat only contain parts of what cats need. Things like taurine (which cats don't make for themselves so they have to ingest with their food) are missing from lean meat cuts. Without taurine cats risk heart disease and other major problems, which means that everyone who thinks they are doing the best by only feeding their cats chicken and fish are actually mistreating their animals.

Fresh meat as a treat is fine- kittens usually like all sorts of fresh meat and fish- but please do this only as a treat and feed with a really good quality kitten food the rest of the time.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
16-11-2008, 20:58   #5
jojomarmite

yeh thats fine, wasnt sure if meat was better than cat meat. il just give it her as a one off now and again as a treat! she has good meat and biscuits everyday so thank you all for your advice!!! just want the best for her.
16-11-2008, 21:34   #6
Squiggs

Total Posts: 6,476
She'll love some meat that was intended for human consumption as a treat.

Mine love cheap nasty reconstituted "cooked ham". It's not a diet in itself, a look at the ingredients shows that, mainly water and heavy in salt. But as an occasional treat, its convenient, pre-packed so no cooking of meat required (like you I don't eat meat myself).

Like cake, it's not for everyday consumption for every meal but "a little of what you fancy does you good" applies to cats as well as people.,

Mine also enjoy mildly smoked turkey but only in small amounts as it's a bit "dry"
16-11-2008, 21:38   #7
MARY POPPINS

Total Posts: 1,898
My little kitten quite likes bouled ham and chicken slices the kind you have for sandwiches but doesn't like roast chicken
_______
Practically perfect in every way
Sponsored Links
16-11-2008, 23:08   #8
Bilbo Baggin

Total Posts: 606
Mine has raw mince beef every now and then, seems to enjoy it ..Never give tuna, my father was a vet and cats get addicted to it
Reply To Topic