Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Under the Stars,learning disability friendly Disco etc

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Disability & Carers Group

Reply To Topic

14-11-2008, 13:44   #1
tara

Total Posts: 1,813
Has anyone been to one of these, theres one on 11th dec .
Thinking of going with my son who has learning disabilities. Any info.
_______
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
16-11-2008, 00:26   #2
tara

Total Posts: 1,813
Has no one heard of this then?
_______
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
16-11-2008, 15:16   #3
TYPS

Total Posts: 792
Nope never heard of it sorry!

Where can i get more information please?
_______
NEAD, PNES, NES, Non Epileptic Attack Disorder, Non Epileptic Seizures, Pseudoseizures, Pseudo-Epileptic Seizures, Dissociative Convulsions, Psychogenic Non Epileptic Seizure, Dissociative Seizures, Dissociative Convulsions, Hysterical Seizure, NEAD Trust is a UK Charity for sufferers, family and carers
16-11-2008, 15:36   #4
marie riley

Total Posts: 109
sounds a good thing wouldn't mind find out a bit more info on it
18-11-2008, 21:00   #5
underthestar

Total Posts: 46
Hello Thanks for posting about us. We are a 6 monthly nightclub for the over 18's in sheffield. we are a learning disability friendly nightclub run by people with learning disabilities and their friends at the hubs, the old national centre of pop. We are all volunteers and are a partnership project between Sheffield mencap, red tape music workshops, soul and fame, actions space mobile. People with learning disabilites dj and compere the night and we normally have an open mic and bands but we're not for the christmas special. Tickets are 4.50 in advance and 5 on the door available from Sheffield Mencap in person or by posting a cheque made payavble to Sheffield Mencap and sent to Under the stars, norfolk lodge park grange road, sheffield s2 3qf. Or you can email us on underthestarsnightclub@hotmail.co.uk.

Let us know if you want to know anything else, over 600 people came last time its a great night. Hope to see you there
19-11-2008, 11:22   #6
jennyru

Total Posts: 32
hey

can i just say this is a great night for people of all ages, everyone I work with always has a really good time!- and the people who work there volunteer, so thanks so much for all your hard work, it really is worthwhile going.

jenny x
20-11-2008, 15:03   #7
Rich
DS,Xbox360 gamer

Total Posts: 29,498
Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
It's an event at The HUBS in Town (former Pop Museum on Paternoster Row), they keep sending me invites and free tickets to it but I never go, I just don't care for Discos and being in a "Nightclub" kind of environment, even if it is specifically for disabled, also contrary to popular belief, Asperger's is NOT a "learning disability" so why the Council are pestering me to attend an LD event, God only knows.
15-02-2009, 16:23   #8
andrewvideo

Total Posts: 20
Under the Stars Night Club is really good. Lots of people go. The staff are very nice and they well support you any way passable. I am go very time and I take the pictures for them.

Here is a link

www.myspace.com/underthestarsnightclub

copy 'n' pase it in to IE for Firefox

The next one well be in April sometime I think not sure.

Rich you should go. You will like it. A few people with Aspergers go the Under the Stars. My Friend Anna she gos and she loves it.

Last edited by andrewvideo; 15-02-2009 at 16:32.
17-02-2009, 12:47   #9
amyamymay

Total Posts: 80
The next under the stars is on 16th April...at the hubs...am looking forward to it! amy x
10-04-2009, 23:38   #10
andrewvideo

Is anyone going to the Under the Stars?

See you on 16th April at the Hubs.

Tickets 5 per person (Carers must pay as well)
Contact Under the Stars for more information and tickets on
Telephone : 07942230249,
Email: underthestarsnightclub@hotmail.co.uk

Coming soon Under the Stars website. Keep a look out for it in here

Last edited by andrewvideo; 16-04-2009 at 09:23.
16-04-2009, 09:23   #11
andrewvideo

Who coming tonight?
16-04-2009, 19:43   #12
Ruthie*

Total Posts: 76
Half of our staff team supporting loads of the people the support...stating as late as they want to and going for a kebab after as well on the drunken walk home!! as it should be, if thats what they want
17-04-2009, 15:41   #13
amyamymay

Total Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie* View Post
Half of our staff team supporting loads of the people the support...stating as late as they want to and going for a kebab after as well on the drunken walk home!! as it should be, if thats what they want
thats good to hear..i really enjoyed it and the bands were great!..again a disapointing amount of people leaving at 9.30 to get back for shift change over at 10, i can't say whether the people they were supporting wanted to leave or not but did overhear someone saying "time to go now, its time for bed..."
17-04-2009, 18:50   #14
Ruthie*

Total Posts: 76
As predicted some of the people we support did walk home after that kebab and yes we do also support some who will have gone home in a mini bus and bed by maybe 11pm but that is at thier say so.

I have worked in this area of support for a long time and we provide support when ever people want to be supported, at the end of the day they pay for it....

The local authority and CSCI, would be interested in knowing if that wasnt how it was...If we get paid to provide 25hrs a week, we also get told when they want the support, what ever the hrs a week the same applies.

The feedback was good as ever and they are already talking about the next one.
18-02-2010, 09:26   #15
natalie H

Total Posts: 4,715
Hi,

I am really interested in volunteering for this. I currently work with adults with learning disabilities in a supported living environment. I did send an email a while ago, but didn't hear anything back.

Please could someone send me a PM or email me : natalie.harris@live.co.uk if there are any volunteering opportunities.

Thank you.

Natalie
_______
We're all Wednesday aren't we............

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...e&id=575890126
22-02-2010, 19:21   #16
underthestar

Total Posts: 46
Have emailed you, sorry didn't get your first attempt. Join our group on face book too!
25-03-2010, 16:55   #17
andrewvideo

Under the Stars tonight. Who Coming?

Please check for more information at http://www.underthestars.org.uk
11-04-2010, 22:32   #18
andrewvideo

The next event is on the 15th April 2010 at the hubs. You can now buy tickets now online here http://www.underthestars.org.uk/shop/

See you there!!!
01-02-2011, 11:17   #19
TheFletch

Total Posts: 50
hi just wondered if you're still having the disco,s as I am looking to do a spot of voluntary work just drop me a line @
fletch07944481899@googlemail.com
02-02-2011, 08:43   #20
Rubycare

Total Posts: 10
Some of our service users have attended the disco, and have really enjoyed themselves

Last edited by Rubycare; 02-04-2011 at 13:15.
Reply To Topic