Sheffield Forum
Your message here

What is average mileage per year?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

17-05-2005, 20:57   #1
bostonaire

Total Posts: n/a
Does anyone know what the average milage per year is acceptable when selling a car..it used to be 12000 per year . ie if a car of 2 years old had done less than 24000 it was said to be less than average milage... ive been informed that due to , loops roads, ring roads etc making us travel a little more, that its now around 15000 per year ? can anyone shed any light on this please?
17-05-2005, 21:30   #2
Shiesh
Yummy mummy

Total Posts: 4,274
Car leasing firms usually allow 12,000 miles per annum then charge for excess miles....... if that helps...
_______
Behind every successful man is an exhausted woman!!
Shiesh in Action!!
♥ Don't cry because it's over! Smile because it happened! ♥
17-05-2005, 21:41   #3
Kristian
Bincing Beast

Total Posts: 4,594
You're correct Nightlife, the industry guidelines (for insurance) changed some years ago. I used to work for a large car insurer who classed average mileage as 12k per annum. They changed the definition to 12k to 15k per annum in about 1998 IIRC; this was to reflect the mileage done by Joe Public.

Something to bear in mind if you're considering how to classify a used car is the type and size of the kind you are considering. Average mileage on a 3 yr old Mercedes would normally be higher than a 3 yr old VW Lupo because of the kind of use those cars normally get.

Hope this helps

K.
17-05-2005, 21:45   #4
Cols

Total Posts: 792
Also the type of miles is important. Better to have 20,000 motorway miles than 5,000 short journey miles.
17-05-2005, 21:45   #5
venger
llordvenger

Total Posts: 2,811
No real evidence here but my guestimate would be that people perhaps do not travel much further on average, but spend more time in traffic.

Still increasing engine wear.
_______
"I used to talk about this stuff in comedy clubs until I discovered internet video. Now I get a lot more death threats, but I don't have to deal with drunks." ~ Pat Condell
18-05-2005, 05:39   #6
Ginner

Total Posts: 1,320
Last time I looked in a car price guide (ie Glass') average annual mileage was still classed as 10K.

This was a couple of years ago.

Given you need to know for selling purposes, not insurance, I would suggest you pop into a newsagents and take a look in one of the car price guides (Glass' is the industry standard, although you might only see one of these in a book shop). This is what a prospective private buyer should be using to calculate how much he/she wants to pay, and defiantely what a dealer will be using to price your car.
_______
Fundamentalist Christianity. Fascinating. You believe the world's 12,000 years old?... "That's right."
OK. I got one word for you. A one word question. Ready? "Uh-uh.".... Dinosaurs?
William Melvin Hicks
18-05-2005, 11:34   #7
Ginner

Total Posts: 1,320
Just had a nosey in Parker's guide (no pun intended).

They start their pricing on the basis of 10k per year and have a table that reduces/increases the price of the car depending on whether you've done over/under that.

What Car? price guide goes off 12k as being average.
_______
Fundamentalist Christianity. Fascinating. You believe the world's 12,000 years old?... "That's right."
OK. I got one word for you. A one word question. Ready? "Uh-uh.".... Dinosaurs?
William Melvin Hicks
Sponsored Links
18-05-2005, 12:49   #8
GimmeSomePK

Total Posts: 252
If it's for selling in something like autotrader just put the actual mileage and let Joe Public decide whether it's acceptable or not for the price, age of car etc. When i'm looking for cars it always annoys me when people don't say what the mileage is, makes me think it's going to be high or they've got something to hide.

"Good clean car inside and out, average mileage for age, first to see will buy."

This sort of thing really winds me up. It's told me nothing about the car.

-PK-
18-05-2005, 12:53   #9
venger
llordvenger

Total Posts: 2,811
Quote:
Originally posted by GimmeSomePK
If it's for selling in something like autotrader just put the actual mileage and let Joe Public decide whether it's acceptable or not for the price, age of car etc. When i'm looking for cars it always annoys me when people don't say what the mileage is, makes me think it's going to be high or they've got something to hide.

"Good clean car inside and out, average mileage for age, first to see will buy."

This sort of thing really winds me up. It's told me nothing about the car.

-PK-
lol

Get over it, some people look at other adverts just so they know what is the normal thing to write.

You are making a fair point though IMO.
_______
"I used to talk about this stuff in comedy clubs until I discovered internet video. Now I get a lot more death threats, but I don't have to deal with drunks." ~ Pat Condell
18-05-2005, 13:27   #10
BoppinBruce

Total Posts: 820
Look at other indications of hard wear such as wear on the pedals and on the carpet, assuming it has the original carpets in, same make tyres all round, spare not used, stuff like that. As said 30,000 kilometres of gentle driving is better than 10,000 of hard driving.
_______
Here Comes Summer, School is Out Oh Happy Day
18-05-2005, 13:29   #11
Skatiechik

Total Posts: 2,336
I would say average is 10-12k
18-05-2005, 14:51   #12
Cyclone

Total Posts: 53,621
Quote:
Originally posted by BoppinBruce
Look at other indications of hard wear such as wear on the pedals and on the carpet, assuming it has the original carpets in, same make tyres all round, spare not used, stuff like that. As said 30,000 kilometres of gentle driving is better than 10,000 of hard driving.
yeah, but who measures them in km's anyway?
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
18-05-2005, 14:54   #13
matsalleh

Total Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclone
yeah, but who measures them in km's anyway?
I think a well recorded service history is more important.
18-05-2005, 16:48   #14
robbie
Lil' Slugger

Total Posts: 4,255
a year ago Norwich Union classed it as 12k.
18-05-2005, 17:26   #15
bostonaire

Total Posts: n/a
reason i ask is ..........two cars for sale shortly .a renault clio dynamique extreme top of range manual diesel 2 years old done roughly 48,300..mostly motorway driving...another is a toyota starlet. 98 model done 65,000 all m1 trips. both cars lady owned and non smokers. have full service history .clio one owner. toyota starlet two owners. any interested folks pm me .
19-05-2005, 08:31   #16
Cyclone

Total Posts: 53,621
averages used for sales values are based on 10k/year.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
19-05-2005, 08:55   #17
BoppinBruce

Total Posts: 820
Sorry, I measure everything in kilometres I thought we all did.
_______
Here Comes Summer, School is Out Oh Happy Day
Reply To Topic