Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Dimmer switch for floor lamp advice please

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

07-10-2008, 16:49   #1
lafemme51

Total Posts: 266
My Mum has a floor lamp with about 6/7 halogen lights on it - when its on the room is floodlit and its way too bright for her room. I thought she could put a dimmer switch on it.

Does anybody out there know if you can fit a dimmer switch for a lamp to a lamp which does not have one fitted already and if so, where do I get one from. When I have googled for dimmer switches all my results are those which are fixed to the wall which, of course, are not what I am looking for.

Any advice gratefully received.
07-10-2008, 16:52   #2
poppins

Total Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemme51 View Post
My Mum has a floor lamp with about 6/7 halogen lights on it - when its on the room is floodlit and its way too bright for her room. I thought she could put a dimmer switch on it.

Does anybody out there know if you can fit a dimmer switch for a lamp to a lamp which does not have one fitted already and if so, where do I get one from. When I have googled for dimmer switches all my results are those which are fixed to the wall which, of course, are not what I am looking for.

Don't think you can do that, might have to be a 3 way switch.
07-10-2008, 16:55   #3
lafemme51

I do not know what a 3 way switch is? Will Google it though and see if its something we can do. Ta
07-10-2008, 16:55   #4
honeyb35

Total Posts: 4,453
lower watt bulb?
07-10-2008, 17:00   #5
Dozy

Total Posts: 15,279
One solution would be a plug-in dimmer.

I've got a vague idea that some lightbulbs are not suitable for use with a dimmer switch, but can't remember why!
07-10-2008, 17:02   #6
poppins

Total Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozy View Post

I've got a vague idea that some lightbulbs are not suitable for use with a dimmer switch, but can't remember why!
I think I'd be afraid of something like that Dozy, specially at that cheap price
07-10-2008, 17:09   #7
Dozy

Total Posts: 15,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppins View Post
I think I'd be afraid of something like that Dozy, specially at that cheap price
I didn't actually notice the price! Mind you, it must comply with the necessary safety regs or they wouldn't be able to sell it.
07-10-2008, 17:13   #8
lafemme51

Quote:

My Mum has a smaller table lamp exactly same as the floor lamp she wishes to dim and the bulbs/everything are identical, and this came with a dimmer fitted - irony is that does not need really need dimming, would have been handy if they had fitted it onto the larger lamp. I am assuming if the smaller one which also has halogen bulbs has a dimmer fitted the bulbs on the floor lamp should in theory be dimmable to

I have contacted those people re the plug-in dimmer as frankly that would be perfect as we'd not have to mess around with the cables! (I did suggest we could possibly take the dimmer switch off the smaller lamp and connect it to bigger one as she is not fussed about smaller one not being able to be dimmed! You don't know if you don't try!)
07-10-2008, 17:19   #9
lafemme51

Have had a look online and those plug-in dimmers are suitable for halogen lamps so I think we may as well go down this route and try that out first, they are cheap so nothing to lose if it does not work.

http://price-less.co.uk/priceless/in...roducts_id=116

Thanks
07-10-2008, 19:29   #10
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 41,161
How about removing some of the light-bulbs from the fitment?
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

There are 1.7 billion Muslims. Don't you think that if Islam really promoted terrorism, we would all be dead?
07-10-2008, 20:07   #11
the_rudeboy
ruder than you

Total Posts: 9,601
Send a message via MSN to the_rudeboy
Have a look at this floor dimmer switch
_______
TOP TIP: Recreate your very own version of the Hungry Hippo’s game by going along to a Weight Watchers meeting and emptying a box of Maltesers on the floor.
08-10-2008, 06:14   #12
cloudforest

Total Posts: 158
Ikea do one;

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20069079
15-01-2011, 23:29   #13
MWRMWR

Total Posts: 1
Ikea is a little cheaper - but these might better match existing fitted units

H t t p:/
/w w w.mr-resistor.co.uk
/controls.aspx?t=603
(sorry but I am not making 5 dummy posts just to make that a clickable link)

...and yes google is (unusually) a real disappointment on this one

- and why don't Maplin stock any ? Someone pop by and tell them:
Head Office Address...
Maplin National Distribution Centre
Maplin Electronics Ltd
PO BOX 534
Manvers
Rotherham
UK
S63 3DH
15-01-2011, 23:58   #14
sidbobs

Total Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Dimmer switch + energy saving light bulb = D.I.Y strobe
16-01-2011, 00:02   #15
brus

Total Posts: 618
Quote:

Yes a dimmer switch can be fitted. I have a halogen floor lamp fitted with a sliding dimmer switch, dont know where you live but there is a shop on Fitzwilliam Road, Rotherham called All Types Electric who will most probably fit you up with a switch at a very reasonable price. Telephone number is 01709370254, open 7 days (Sunday 10am to 1pm)
16-01-2011, 00:31   #16
Max the Cat

Total Posts: 143
Quote:

Has she tried getting the same type of wattage bulb but energy saving? I had a bulb in my bedroom and it was very bright but when I replaced it with an energy saving one it was much, much dimmer.
16-01-2011, 08:07   #17
brus

Total Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Cat View Post
Has she tried getting the same type of wattage bulb but energy saving? I had a bulb in my bedroom and it was very bright but when I replaced it with an energy saving one it was much, much dimmer.
Halogen lights a totally different fitting to energy saving bulbs, also energy bulbs and flourescent tubed lights are not suitable for use with a dimmer switch.
Reply To Topic