Sign in to follow this  

Prince of Wales junction at Manor = bottleneck?

I'm new to Sheffield, so this is a speculative question: is there a bottleneck coming at the junction of Prince of Wales Road and City Road? (Actually, is there a bottleneck there now?)

In particular, if you're heading south down PoW Road and want to turn right onto City Road,... you can't. You get funnelled left and denied all chances to U-turn for a couple of miles. (I've done it.) So, a sensible option is to turn off early, burrow down Wulfric Road, and wait for a gap in the traffic.

I can imagine that this is currently a bit of a pain. The Parklands redevelopment is set to expand, and so I can imagine it might become a major pain. Any thoughts?

Ed

If you take the left turn, and get yourself into the right-hand lane, the road turns back on itself after only a few yards (round to the other side of Netto) and then you can turn right to get back on the Prince of Wales Road in the other direction, and immediately left onto City Road.

Welcome to the forum obscureed,and also to Sheffield. Just follow the advice of RichD, and you won't be travelling miles out of your way anymore. :thumbsup:

So which lane does he need at the lights then guys?

Does getting in the left hand lane mean he'll get squeezed over to Intake whether he likes it or not.

Does he actually need to turn left from a centre or right hand lane to carry this out?

Originally posted by Strix

So which lane does he need at the lights then guys?

Does getting in the left hand lane mean he'll get squeezed over to Intake whether he likes it or not.

Does he actually need to turn left from a centre or right hand lane to carry this out?

OK Strix, point taken......let's try it again.......

Travelling southbound (and uphill) on Prince of Wales Road, turn LEFT at traffic lights at junction with City Road.

Proceed through these traffic lights and move into right-hand side lane - Netto and the Elm Tree pub are on your right.

You are now in the correct lane to proceed RIGHT ONLY at the next set of traffic lights. Proceed through these traffic lights, and remain in the right-hand side lane, (which brings you past the rear of Netto and their car-park) and proceed to the next set of traffic lights, which is at the junction with Ridgeway Road.

You are now in the correct lane to proceed RIGHT ONLY. Proceed through these traffic lights, but now keeping to the left-hand side in order to move into the filter lane to turn LEFT at the next set of traffic lights to proceed down City Road.

Oops, I meant before he even turns left - in a 'proceed up PoW Rd, choose the ____ hand lane at the traffic lights and turn left, but bear right to take you behind Netto' sort of way

That stretch of road has to be one of the worst designed in Sheffield. The first few times I drove up it I always seemed to end up in the lane for turning left towards Intake. Plus at busy times you always end up having to make about 5 hill starts before you get through the lights. After passing your test in the flattest city in England this isn't easy.

Originally posted by cgksheff

Does this help?

Spot on cgksheff! Your technical skills are very impressive.

Originally posted by redrobbo

Spt on cgksheff! Your technical skills are very impressive.

I quite agree, but can you change the colour of the arrows? the last couple are lost in the orange road, just when things get complicated ;)

Originally posted by march

After passing your test in the flattest city in England this isn't easy.

I passed in Peterborough. Never had a problem. Having said that, the handbrake gets in the way of a Sheffield-rate get away, so getting the biting point early is paramount ;)