Ethics and morals- how do you feel about share trading?

Guest sibon
This is not a 'do you believe in God?' thread, or about muslims, nothing to do with evolution, nor atheism, erm...just questions.

First question: Is share dealing OK, ethically?

Yes.

What do I win?

For me, it would depend on what the shares are in, and where the profits from transactions are going.

For me, it would depend on what the shares are in, and where the profits from transactions are going.

I was thinking about it, in principle, but maybe it's not necessary. Thanks.

I have problems with it Metaphoria; as I see it share dealing allows a very limited nuber of people to make huge profit at the expense of the rest of the population. I've been following the latest wave of financial upsets in a not terribly commited sort of way and it appears to me to be entirely possible for those in this business to spread rumour seee shre prices fall and subsequently make enormous profit on the basis of lies.

That sits uneasily with me.

Share dealing in BAE Systems? They make things that kill and maim people. There is evidence that financial institutions make a 'killing' out of wars. How many contracts were awarded to American companies after the Iraq invasion?

I have problems with it Metaphoria; as I see it share dealing allows a very limited nuber of people to make huge profit at the expense of the rest of the population. I've been following the latest wave of financial upsets in a not terribly commited sort of way and it appears to me to be entirely possible for those in this business to spread rumour seee shre prices fall and subsequently make enormous profit on the basis of lies.

That sits uneasily with me.

Yes, I know what you mean. It's the ill gotten gains thing that sits uneasily with me. Still, I'd like to make a little more money than I earn at work, and saving doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere fast enough to be able to enjoy it whilst I'm still young-ish.

Need to invest. But where?

Yes, I know what you mean. It's the ill gotten gains thing that sits uneasily with me. Still, I'd like to make a little more money than I earn at work, and saving doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere fast enough to be able to enjoy it whilst I'm still young-ish.

Need to invest. But where?

I'd like to use some of my meagre savings to make a little more, but where indeed?

This is not a 'do you believe in God?' thread, or about muslims, nothing to do with evolution, nor atheism, erm...just questions.

First question: Is share dealing OK, ethically?

Most denominations nowadays have no problem with it but for centuries lending or borrowing money at interest was forbidden by the Catholic Church (iirc on the strength of a few OT verses) which for a strict/old fashioned Christian would make investing in pretty much any company (as they nearly all borrow or lend) problematic.

Share dealing in BAE Systems? They make things that kill and maim people. There is evidence that financial institutions make a 'killing' out of wars. How many contracts were awarded to American companies after the Iraq invasion?

Well, OK I once invested in Marconi, but they were just a name on this moving conveyer-belt at bottom of a TV screen, and I was only looking at numbers at the time. However, I'm not entirely certain that defense systems have the pure intention of killing people, but protecting their own. However, I'm not entirely sure if I'm right in that either.

Hmmmm. Don't know what to say really. :(