Sheffield Forum
Your message here

A good product to stop cats scratching wallpaper

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Pet Owners

Reply To Topic

15-09-2008, 14:56   #1
PoddingtonP

Total Posts: 360
hiya can anyone recomend a good product that actually works to spray on wallpaper to stop my cats from scragging it. i tried squirting jif lemon on it but that only worked for a few days
15-09-2008, 15:49   #2
katkin

Total Posts: 5,640
Provide an alternative scratching post (hessian backed carpet is a good one) Bitter bite doesnt seem to have any effect - our bengal Alfie chews for hours on my fancy string curtain - it's only been up a month and a bit and already it's got a fine frilly stepped effect where he's bitten clean through the strands!
15-09-2008, 16:53   #3
hatter

Total Posts: 371
Don't know a product sorry but you reminded me of when I used to live in a flat with spongey wallpaper and my kittens used to run right up the walls! They used to get stuck so far up and I would have to unhook them to get them down. Mind you it gave me a chance to eat my dinner in peace if I didn't get them down straight away It looked amazing but they ended up shredding the walls and I had to completely redecorate.
15-09-2008, 18:05   #4
katkin

Total Posts: 5,640
Ha - we had the contour wallpaper in my first house - had only just decorated the kitchen then acquired kittens and quickly watched it go from pristine to frilly.
16-09-2008, 11:05   #5
PoddingtonP

we cant move for scratchy posts , they have a big huge one and 2 smaller ones , one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs but everyday im having to repaint the wallpaper ( it wasnt ment to be painted but they scragged it that much it was easier to keep repainting than to replace ripped parts)
16-09-2008, 20:04   #6
Strix

Total Posts: 32,523
You could laminate all your walls to dado level

Tell the cats you'll have them de-clawed if they don't stop?

Isn't orange peel supposed to be more effective than lemon? (don't quote me on that coz I'm not sure)

and they're not supposed to like vinegar either, but would white vinegar be best?

where's medusa when you need her?
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
16-09-2008, 20:09   #7
puddinburner

Total Posts: 4,213
Send a message via AIM to puddinburner
You could try placing a square piece of carpet where he/she is scratching or if you don't want to notice it that much put a square of perspex up?
Hard one as my cat used to do it, no spray's lemon scented keep off things used to work. You re-decorate, cat waits a few days then does it again, can't win.

Has he got a scratch post? Another idea, if you can get him out of the habit of scratching that particular bit of wallpaper.
_______
Tomorrow is another day!
17-09-2008, 16:17   #8
PoddingtonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
You could laminate all your walls to dado level

Tell the cats you'll have them de-clawed if they don't stop?

Isn't orange peel supposed to be more effective than lemon? (don't quote me on that coz I'm not sure)

and they're not supposed to like vinegar either, but would white vinegar be best?

where's medusa when you need her?
ill end up with dado rail laminate before much longer

well the wallpaper was a very pale creamy colour to start with so the orange peel would have stained but they made that much mess that its no painted beige... so i could get away with it i recon.

ohh beleive me iv tried the vinegar the house reaked and the wallpaper still got shredded , iv even tried deoderant

they are gremlins pure and simple ...
17-09-2008, 16:21   #9
PoddingtonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinburner View Post
You could try placing a square piece of carpet where he/she is scratching or if you don't want to notice it that much put a square of perspex up?
Hard one as my cat used to do it, no spray's lemon scented keep off things used to work. You re-decorate, cat waits a few days then does it again, can't win.

Has he got a scratch post? Another idea, if you can get him out of the habit of scratching that particular bit of wallpaper.
its from the bottom of the stairs all the way up so patches of carpet or perspex isnt going to really work, its from the skirting boards to as far up as they can stretch
yep they have a big scratchy post and also 2 on the stairs to try and keep them off the walls

ohh dear i suppose im just going to have to keep the tub of paint and paint brush handy so i can keep re painting the scragged parts
17-09-2008, 17:34   #10
Strix

oh well - you'll just have to have them de-clawed then Poddington
_______
17-09-2008, 18:37   #11
puddinburner

oh dear sounds extreme.....you could try the old spray bottle trick?, each time you catch em at it, a quick spray with the water, they may get the idea not to do?
_______
Tomorrow is another day!
18-09-2008, 08:35   #12
kankel

Total Posts: 195
First of all spray them with, spray flea stuff. Then give the are a spray with the same stuff. They will then associate the smell of the spray with the experiance of being flea sprayed, which they hate.
18-09-2008, 09:03   #13
puddinburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kankel View Post
First of all spray them with, spray flea stuff. Then give the are a spray with the same stuff. They will then associate the smell of the spray with the experiance of being flea sprayed, which they hate.
I like That one, it's very devious..lol They absolutely hate being flea'd and will definitely avoid at all cost's.....hopefully
_______
Tomorrow is another day!
18-09-2008, 13:23   #14
PoddingtonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
oh well - you'll just have to have them de-clawed then Poddington
noooooo, i cant it just seems way to cruel.

the flea spray thing sounds very promising but i havent flea sprayed a cat for years cos last one i did it to started foaming at the mouth i thought id poisend him. i use the drops now. but i am going to give this ago

ill let you know how i get on
18-09-2008, 15:25   #15
Strix

Actually - declawing seems to be an american cure for the problem - I don't think it's easy to find a vet that'd do that here
_______
19-09-2008, 10:29   #16
PoddingtonP

tut, it like chopping a kids fingers off for pickin its nose and wiping it on the furniture

im off at the weekend to get some flea spray to see how that works
19-09-2008, 12:02   #17
PoddingtonP

strix i cant reply to pm cos ya box is full
19-09-2008, 13:56   #18
Strix

I know

I've just deleted all the offers for dog transport for this weekend so you'd be able to get me now... if you weren't offline
_______
19-09-2008, 23:18   #19
Hobbit

Total Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoddingtonP View Post
im off at the weekend to get some flea spray to see how that works
Just make sure you only spray the cats once - you don't want to overdose them with the sort of chemicals that go into that stuff. Also, it's quite likely that the spray will take the paint off the wall.

From experience, the only way you can stop cats scratching something is to a) block off access to the thing in question and / or b) provide them with something more interesting. Unfortunately stairs are prime targets as cats like angled bits of wall and carpet. When we moved house (about 18 months ago) I got a couple of scratching panels from Pets at Home and screwed them to the wall at cat stretch height in inconspicuous places - the moggies have steered pretty clear of the 'old favourites' since.
21-09-2008, 13:16   #20
jellybellybean

Total Posts: 935
I bought a spray from pets at home called "pet behaving spray" by CANAC it was only a few pound and I spray it on the arms of my leather setee as Ruby's made a right mess using them as a scratch post!

I bought her loads of scratch posts, provided her with carpet wrapped round wood and she just ignored them and carried on using the sofa!

That spray does work provided you remember to use it every few days but I will warn you for the first 10mins after you've sprayed it the whole room smells absolutely foul!
Reply To Topic