Who drills holes for extractor fans?

About 12-14 months ago a guy called Chris drilled a hole in an outside wall for me to accommodate an extractor fan.

Unfortunately I've lost his number so I need him or someone else again.

Seem to remember it was his missus who read my plea last year & suggested him.

Anyone know what sized holes are required for a cooker hood with extractor?

I'm thinking of just putting in an extractor this year and hopefully fitting a hood (with same hole) next year when we re-vamp the kitchen.

Cheers!

Most extractor holes are stitch drilled from what i have seen over the last couple of years. Just measure the diameter of the extractor pipe. Stitch drill trough the wall using a 10mm coaxial drill bit and chip out the hole with a hammer and bolster.

If you want one perfect circle drilling it will probably cost you a fortune.

Thanks Vidster, but the last one cost me £20. I think he had a diamond tipped drill.

I'm hoping for a good one as i have a coating (tyrolean?) on the outside.

most trade people have a core drill in there kit, plumbers and electricians and the price of the kit has dropped considerably so usually quite competitive.

i would think 50/60 would be a more realistic price for a hole to be drilled if its a second floor room you need it drilling into there are ladders needed etc.

if you did stitch drill it the cowl to the extractor would cover it anyway but a core would be a better option.

the last new house i worked on the electrician charged 100 a hole which i thought was a little excessive so there is a difference in cost depending who you ask.

depending on the bricks in can be easy or very hard.

i drilled a hole for a forum member last year and it took 2 hours and no i am not exaggerating.it was 4 bricks thick and no cavity. :(

most trade people have a core drill in there kit, plumbers and electricians and the price of the kit has dropped considerably so usually quite competitive.

i would think 50/60 would be a more realistic price for a hole to be drilled if its a second floor room you need it drilling into there are ladders needed etc.

if you did stitch drill it the cowl to the extractor would cover it anyway but a core would be a better option.

the last new house i worked on the electrician charged 100 a hole which i thought was a little excessive so there is a difference in cost depending who you ask.

depending on the bricks in can be easy or very hard.

i drilled a hole for a forum member last year and it took 2 hours and no i am not exaggerating.it was 4 bricks thick and no cavity. :(

£100 a hole isnt too bad for a qualified sparky to charge.

A core drill suitable for the job is £50+

What people dont factor in is tool wear. Core drills will only do a finite amount of holes before needing replacement.

This is ground floor, 2 bricks thick, with no (or an apology of) a cavity.

I take your point that drills only last so long, but unless I find a willing contact I may buy one myself.

Any of you know what size is required for a cooker hood?

100 mm core is 55 pound from screw fix.

drill is maybe 200 i have a makita,

adapter to fit to the drill is 14 pound.

pilot drill is maybe 4.99 ish.

you can hire them from champion hire maybe 30 pound a day plus 150 deposit.

check the extractor size before you buy a core as some are 5 and 6 inch depends on size of room and type of extractor used.

Post up what area you are in, your more lightly to find someone local to you rather than get someone to drive across town for such a small job.

I can stich drill it for you reasonably.

I can do you this , it will be £60 and I can do it this week as I have a delayed kitchen that isn't coming untill Wednesday.