Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Postmen - not posting letters correctly

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-08-2008, 08:59   #1
D_Money

Total Posts: 93
Does anyone else have problems with their postman not posting correctly.

I have a dogbox on the back of my door to stop the postmans fingers getting nipped and also to protect my post from if the dog decides to rip it up. The postman can not be bothered to post the post through into the box and leaves it hanging out.

I left a note and the post man thought it would be funny to post the note through my door screwed up. I then had to have a word and it seems to be less, but some letters that can easily be posted through are still left protruding

Has anyone else experienced this and what else can be done? and anyone got any advice
21-08-2008, 09:10   #2
alex3659

Total Posts: 23,748
oh my god , you should not be treat like this , write to the head office and if you get no satisfaction see your mp or take it to strasburgh .
21-08-2008, 09:13   #3
poppypoppy

Total Posts: 814
yep we too have had post left hanging outside the letter box...but just recently we have had loads of different potst men and women..used to have a regular postman..but now they just push post thru yr door even if its not yr address!! 3times last week i had to return post back to the postman/woman cos it was same house number as us but completely different road..not even similar names!! all they did was laugh at me and then tell me someone off of our road had complained cos the post wasnt arrivin until 3.30 in the afternoon!!! they thought this was hilarious...i bet they thought it was me who had complained!! i think as long as they get it out of their hands they're not bothered whose door they push it thru....oh and they tried to blame the office staff for sortin the mail!! thats a laugh...they evidentally dont read the whole address..prob just lookin at the number of the house/flat and pushing it thru the door....so in my eyes its prob both lots to blame...certainly aint my fault....
21-08-2008, 09:24   #4
bellis
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,819
Send a message via AIM to bellis Send a message via Yahoo to bellis Send a message via Skype™ to bellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Money View Post
Does anyone else have problems with their postman not posting correctly.

I have a dogbox on the back of my door to stop the postmans fingers getting nipped and also to protect my post from if the dog decides to rip it up. The postman can not be bothered to post the post through into the box and leaves it hanging out.

I left a note and the post man thought it would be funny to post the note through my door screwed up. I then had to have a word and it seems to be less, but some letters that can easily be posted through are still left protruding

Has anyone else experienced this and what else can be done? and anyone got any advice
have the same problem myself started a thread on this a month or 2 ago

and the postman still cant be botherd to push the letters through
21-08-2008, 09:34   #5
alex3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda79 View Post
have the same problem myself started a thread on this a month or 2 ago

and the postman still cant be botherd to push the letters through
perhaps he's not on sf
21-08-2008, 09:43   #6
blondie-blue

Total Posts: 1,554
I have complained to Royal mail numerous times about this problem but it doesn't seem to make a difference, often my mail is left hanging out the letterbox and alot of mail is confidential like bank statements etc, we have loads of people on our estate posting fliers etc and although i haven't experienced it YET it is a prime opportunity for someone to steal mail...
21-08-2008, 09:47   #7
bellis
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,819
Send a message via AIM to bellis Send a message via Yahoo to bellis Send a message via Skype™ to bellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-blue View Post
I have complained to Royal mail numerous times about this problem but it doesn't seem to make a difference, often my mail is left hanging out the letterbox and alot of mail is confidential like bank statements etc, we have loads of people on our estate posting fliers etc and although i haven't experienced it YET it is a prime opportunity for someone to steal mail...
i had mail stolen from my letterbox a cheque for 250 quid

if flyers can be pushed right through a letterbox why cant letters be ?
Sponsored Links
21-08-2008, 09:52   #8
salmonbones

Total Posts: 1,193
Send a message via MSN to salmonbones
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3659 View Post
oh my god , you should not be treat like this , write to the head office and if you get no satisfaction see your mp or take it to strasburgh .
Sarcasm isn't needed! Haven't you ever got home to find a letter half way through the letterbox.................and its rained.

On top of that, we all get told to shred documents to stop fruad these days, what if someone comes and steals a bank statement half way through your letterbox???
21-08-2008, 10:04   #9
whitewitch
hotlipshoulihan

Total Posts: 8,841
I dont get some of my post and i keep getting my neighbours
_______
Heard that counting sheep helps you sleep... It's bloody freezing in this field! AND I'M STILL WIDE AWAKE!! :-(
21-08-2008, 10:07   #10
beansforyou
Warped

Total Posts: 5,423
Had it ever occured to you that it might be your fault for putting a cage onto the back end of the letterbox that makes it difficult to push letters through the whole way?

Did you ask the postmans permission to get a dog?
21-08-2008, 10:11   #11
alex3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbones View Post
Sarcasm isn't needed! Haven't you ever got home to find a letter half way through the letterbox.................and its rained.

On top of that, we all get told to shred documents to stop fruad these days, what if someone comes and steals a bank statement half way through your letterbox???
no........but I threatened legal action when my gazette got wet .
21-08-2008, 10:24   #12
price

Total Posts: 353
Perhaps they couldn't care less wether you got your post in good condition or not.I believe many posties are on short term employment for only a few hours a week. Not an incentive to deliver a good service.Some maybe just using the job to bring some money in until they can get more permanent employment. Perhaps someone from the P.O. can put me right on that?
21-08-2008, 11:02   #13
Laddo

Total Posts: 177
We keep getting other peoples mail and the postman dumps his red elastic bands on our doorstep and drive.
21-08-2008, 12:30   #14
seibu

Total Posts: 39
Let's face it, the casual employment of posties has been a disaster. I still get the wrong mail, mail screwed up, opened mail etc. and it's no big deal. But a few years ago it was common for my post and parcels to have been opened and thieved from. I'm not sure how they've put a stop to that, but I'm glad they have.

The post is something that we all have to rely on. So aggressive cost cutting, low wages and zero job security for posties was obviously a pretty stupid idea. It's another example that "free market" principles don't automatically work everywhere!
21-08-2008, 12:39   #15
alex3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddo View Post
We keep getting other peoples mail and the postman dumps his red elastic bands on our doorstep and drive.
who gets his blue elastic bands ?.
21-08-2008, 15:17   #16
D_Money

Total Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansforyou View Post
Had it ever occured to you that it might be your fault for putting a cage onto the back end of the letterbox that makes it difficult to push letters through the whole way?

Did you ask the postmans permission to get a dog?
why would I ask a postmans permission before getting a dog? Surely I am making sure that the postman does not get a nip from my dog.

If you do not have any value to add to this then don't write anything
21-08-2008, 15:43   #17
Vanos

Total Posts: 348
Its actually a tell tale sign that someone is out / away on hols if mail is sticking out the box.
21-08-2008, 15:48   #18
gal-tray

Total Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanos View Post
Its actually a tell tale sign that someone is out / away on hols if mail is sticking out the box.
i thought it was a general rule that the post had to be put all the way through for that very reason
21-08-2008, 15:57   #19
Vanos

Total Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal-tray View Post
i thought it was a general rule that the post had to be put all the way through for that very reason
It is which is why the op has a valid point complaining.
22-08-2008, 21:49   #20
Rob_1

Total Posts: 1,175
Boxes on the back of doors are useless, only small thin letters will go in properly. Anything thicker or larger hits the back of the box and wont go in fully, so it gets left sticking out.

Letters should be pushed all the way through, however when people have brushes, stops etc behind the box the mail often wont go right through unless you push your fingers through as well - and as I work next to a guy that has 9 fingers due to one being bitten off by someone's dog, that isn't going to happen.

There are things called 'push pegs' that are supposed to be used for this purpose, but the fact is they are useless and bend too easily.

Obviously some do leave mail sticking out when theres no reason for it, if this keeps happening then make a complaint and the postie will be spoken to, to see if there are any problems.

If you have anything on the back of your letterbox, just try pushing a single thin letter (because they are the most common and awkward) through it with one hand, without pushing your fingers in. If you can't do it then thats why your mail gets left sticking out.
Reply To Topic