Sheffield Forum

Connecting to Virginmedia (Blueyonder) Email on iPhone

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

23-07-2008, 13:35   #1
Grahamfff

Total Posts: 814
Send a message via MSN to Grahamfff
I have a new phone which has email and web capabilities.

Most net functions work fine, but I cannot get email (either incoming nor outgoing) to work.

I'm pretty sure I've entered the right settings for smpt and pop3 servers, bu the phone says that both are unavailable or unable to connect.

Anyone else have this problem and (better still!) a solution. I suspect that the VM tech support will tell me they can't advise about connecting phones!
23-07-2008, 13:39   #2
Carl_Malibu

Total Posts: 1,159
Do they use non-standard ports for mail retreival? What phone is it? Do you have the right GPRS/3G settings?
_______
"Whatever you are be a good one"

Gracie Barra Sheffield BJJ recruit
23-07-2008, 13:44   #3
Grahamfff

It's an iPhone.
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the first and last questions! I imported the settings directly from iTunes.
23-07-2008, 14:09   #4
steev

Total Posts: 2,092
Generally with mobile devices IMAP is the way to go rather than POP3, try setting the account up as IMAP if you can?
23-07-2008, 14:15   #5
Grahamfff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev View Post
Generally with mobile devices IMAP is the way to go rather than POP3, try setting the account up as IMAP if you can?
Yes, I think you may be right... Would this account for the problems with both incoming AND outgoing mail?

I'll give this a try and will put another message on here if I'm still having trouble.

Thanks for your help.
23-07-2008, 15:43   #6
steev

Total Posts: 2,092
Now you mention it I'm not sure if IMAP uses SMTP for outgoing or not... More ISPs seem to be blocking the normal SMTP port (port 25) to cut down on spam. Do you get any error message on sending?

Assuming that you're connecting by wi-fi then the settings you use in your normal mail client should work for any device's mail account, however without specific error messages to google then it's all speculation really. No outgoing mail may simply be server authentication (most common "I can't send" fix with people who ring with problems using Outlook)

Last edited by steev; 23-07-2008 at 15:47.
23-07-2008, 19:01   #7
Grahamfff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev View Post
Now you mention it I'm not sure if IMAP uses SMTP for outgoing or not... More ISPs seem to be blocking the normal SMTP port (port 25) to cut down on spam. Do you get any error message on sending?

Assuming that you're connecting by wi-fi then the settings you use in your normal mail client should work for any device's mail account, however without specific error messages to google then it's all speculation really. No outgoing mail may simply be server authentication (most common "I can't send" fix with people who ring with problems using Outlook)
Still no joy. I'm using both Wifi and 3G, depending what's available.

I think the iPhone should handle either imap or POP3 just fine. I think the problem may be due to trying to use email from outside the Virginmedia network - so this is an authentication issue? I'm don't really understand authentication, and which settings to use - but doesn't this apply to SMTP only, so doesn't effect incoming mail?
Sponsored Links
23-07-2008, 19:24   #8
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 12,053
Send a message via ICQ to Ghozer Send a message via AIM to Ghozer Send a message via MSN to Ghozer Send a message via Yahoo to Ghozer Send a message via Skype™ to Ghozer
You should configure your incoming to "mail.blueyonder.co.uk" and your username and password the same as your outlook express uses (assuming you use your blueyonder email)
the outgoing would be whatever 'open' smtp server you can find, OR contact your mobile provider (assuming O2) for thier outgoing SMTP server details, this would work for WAP/3G, for WiFi it would depend on the connection you are using at the time.
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
23-07-2008, 19:31   #9
Grahamfff

I've tried both pop3.blueyonder.co.uk and mail.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming mail without success. (My computer uses the former).

How do I go about finding an open smtp server? On my computer this is set to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

(Incidentally I use Entourage on a Mac rather than Outlook on a PC, but I guess that doesn't make any difference.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozer View Post
You should configure your incoming to "mail.blueyonder.co.uk" and your username and password the same as your outlook express uses (assuming you use your blueyonder email)
the outgoing would be whatever 'open' smtp server you can find, OR contact your mobile provider (assuming O2) for thier outgoing SMTP server details, this would work for WAP/3G, for WiFi it would depend on the connection you are using at the time.
23-07-2008, 20:05   #10
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Send a message via ICQ to Ghozer Send a message via AIM to Ghozer Send a message via MSN to Ghozer Send a message via Yahoo to Ghozer Send a message via Skype™ to Ghozer
upon further research..
pop3.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming pop3, not secure (no SSL), and login required. mine works fine using this setting.

As for outgoing, I stand by what I said, Your PC uses smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing because they are your ISP, you can only use the BY SMTP if you are on a BY connection, thats why you need to use O2's, Set outgoing to smtp.o2.co.uk
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

23-07-2008, 20:15   #11
Grahamfff

Still nothing.

The iPhone has an automated system for setting up a new account. You just put in your email address and password and it's supposed to do the rest.

It comes up with imap4.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming mail (and then can't access it) and smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing (ditto). Is the smtp setting was wrong, wouldn't you expect the pone to be smart enough to know that it's already on an O2 connection?

Quote:
upon further research..
pop3.blueyonder.co.uk for incoming pop3, not secure (no SSL), and login required. mine works fine using this setting.

As for outgoing, I stand by what I said, Your PC uses smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for outgoing because they are your ISP, you can only use the BY SMTP if you are on a BY connection, thats why you need to use O2's, Set outgoing to smtp.o2.co.uk

Last edited by Grahamfff; 23-07-2008 at 20:30.
23-07-2008, 20:32   #12
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
im sure you can set it manually, if not, thats just one more reason not to get an iphone,
_______

23-07-2008, 21:08   #13
Grahamfff

You can set it manually too. I'm seeing a friend tomorrow who also has an iPhone - I'll have a look at the settings on hers - she's not a Blueyonder customer, so far as I know, but it might give me a clue.

Apart from this email glitch, the iPhone s great!

Quote:
im sure you can set it manually, if not, thats just one more reason not to get an iphone,
24-07-2008, 15:11   #14
Cynic

Total Posts: 2,875
I have seen some ISPs restrict access to their SMTP servers so that only people connecting from their network can access them.

Last edited by Ghozer; 24-07-2008 at 16:28.
24-07-2008, 16:28   #15
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
I have seen some ISPs restrict access to their SMTP servers so that only people connecting from their network can access them.
exactly, thats why im saying not to use blueyonders SMTP but to use smtp.o2.co.uk
_______

25-07-2008, 11:33   #16
martin_f

Total Posts: 107
Send a message via MSN to martin_f
I set mine up in under five mins to work with blueyonder.

Did you make sure that you clicked the pop3 tab and not the smtp tab?
27-06-2010, 05:45   #17
monet208

Total Posts: 3
hi
A friend set op my iphone ( from T Mobile ) up so that my blueyonder.co.uk emails were pushed through from my virgin webmail to my iphone
He used pop3.blueyonder.co.uk as incoming server and smtp blueyonder.co.uk as outgoing.I think port 110 for the smtp but do not know the port for the pop3-and would not know how to find it !
Anyway everything worked fine until I went to Tenerife then only the odd email came through and I could send none out.On movistar network-only other one was orange but no better.
Had blackberry curve before and it worked and emails worked abroard-wherever
So endless time on phone with t mobile techs –given different smtp’s to try and different port settings
To cap it all phone stopped turning off and has to go back !!
Can anyone tell me the settings that work for them in UK and ABROAD with a blueyonder email ,including port settings and how to set ,if needed,incoming port settings on the iphone ?
Reply To Topic