Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Taking a child abroad without parents - do I need permission?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

15-07-2008, 11:41   #1
gem1987

Total Posts: 318
Send a message via MSN to gem1987
hi i wondered if any one could help me , my son who is 23 is taking his sister who is 12 on holiday with him , do i have to give permission and if so how do i go about it.

looked on internet but cant seem to find owt out?

they do have diff surnames too.
15-07-2008, 11:45   #2
Powerage

Total Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem1987 View Post
hi i wondered if any one could help me , my son who is 23 is taking his sister who is 12 on holiday with him , do i have to give permission and if so how do i go about it.

I have taken my daughters friend on holiday last year who is 13 we didnt have to do anything and no one questioned us about her. She is coming with us again this year.

I think the only time there would be a problem if the parents had not given permission and contacted the police (which in your case is not likely to happen).
_______
gone shootin
15-07-2008, 11:48   #3
Gripper Stebson

Total Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem1987 View Post

Assuming you are her mother, does her father have any objection?
_______
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
15-07-2008, 11:54   #4
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,993
It will depend upon the countries to which you intend to travel.

Some (but not many) will require varying levels of authorisation from a parent.
15-07-2008, 11:57   #5
foxforcefive

Total Posts: 3,910
When my ex took the kids skiing in Italy earlier the year the Travel Agent told him to get a letter from me giving my permission for them to go, even though he is their father. Funny cos I didn't need a letter from him when I took them to Spain
15-07-2008, 12:00   #6
Gripper Stebson

Total Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxforcefive View Post
When my ex took the kids skiing in Italy earlier the year the Travel Agent told him to get a letter from me giving my permission for them to go, even though he is their father. Funny cos I didn't need a letter from him when I took them to Spain

Looks like yet another instance where the law is on the side of the mother!
_______
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
15-07-2008, 12:02   #7
heavenlyarts

Total Posts: 2,389
I'd provide a letter anyhow, authorising the holiday AND and authorising your son to allow neccessary medical treatment
15-07-2008, 13:56   #8
gem1987

Total Posts: 318
Send a message via MSN to gem1987
cheers, there going to benidorm,
15-07-2008, 16:24   #9
boyfriday

Total Posts: 30,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyarts View Post
I'd provide a letter anyhow, authorising the holiday AND and authorising your son to allow neccessary medical treatment
Absolutely agree, it'll take you 2 minutes to do a letter and hopefully avoid any problems in a foreign country with customs people interrogating your boy!

I'd also attach a copy of your passport, something with your signature on it, so they can see you are who you say you are. Sure there'll be no difficulties though.

Ps..sounds like your son is a bloody good lad, taking his sis on holiday with him!
15-07-2008, 16:49   #10
nosy nellie

Total Posts: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfriday View Post
Absolutely agree, it'll take you 2 minutes to do a letter and hopefully avoid any problems in a foreign country with customs people interrogating your boy!

I'd also attach a copy of your passport, something with your signature on it, so they can see you are who you say you are. Sure there'll be no difficulties though.

Ps..sounds like your son is a bloody good lad, taking his sis on holiday with him!
Just returned from Majorca after a holiday with my grandaughter, when coming through customs the officer warned me to always obtain a letter from my grandaughters parents before taking her abroad again.
15-07-2008, 18:41   #11
teddie

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 3,350
Depends on which country you are leaving from. My son had to have a sworn affidavit, from a notary republic from myself and hubbie so he could leave Portugal on his own. But he could leave the U.K. on his own no prob. Best check out which county is is leaving from in all of the journey (if it is more than one)
_______
Do I love you? Indeed I do.
. http://www.missingamy.net
15-07-2008, 18:51   #12
squeakyclean

Total Posts: 1,275
when we took my son's friend away with us, we had to take a letter from one of his parents, giving their permission. We got asked to produce it too. earlier this year my daughter (then 16) travelled to Holland with her boyfriend. I got a phone call from the port police asking if it was ok for her to go, yet last year she flew out to Spain on her own, to join us, with no questions asked.
15-07-2008, 19:26   #13
RozeePozee

Total Posts: 1,646
I understand that America requires both parents to sign a letter of authority
18-08-2010, 13:42   #14
jorednails

Total Posts: 1
My partner & I are just back from a mini-cruise and stay in Amsterdam taking his daughter and her sister (8 & 11 yr old). Fortunately their mum prepared letters confirming her consent to the trip as we were asked for evidence at every passport control both in the UK and on arrival in Holland. We plan on taking them further a field next year and will certainly make sure we have consent letters with us. We also had a bit of a problem getting insurance as we don’t all live at the same address, or have the same surname, we managed to get a family annual policy from Insureandgo.
18-08-2010, 20:50   #15
dazaston

Total Posts: 128
My sister is taking my son to Turkey in September the travel agent said it was ok for him to go but she had to take out a different insurance policy because they said he is technically traveling alone.She has the same surname as him aswell.He is 13 years old.
Daz
18-08-2010, 21:39   #16
Darth Vader

Total Posts: 6,697
Yeah, I wrote a letter for mine, with my passport copy attached and my partner's, signed by us both and had a professional witness it and sign and asked the professional to write a contact number so that they may be contacted to verify, even out of working hours, just in case!!
18-08-2010, 22:37   #17
MonkeyLover

Total Posts: 4,270
We took my daughter's friend to Majorca a few years ago - had not problems at all!
_______
Monkey Mad!
18-08-2010, 23:03   #18
the_rudeboy
ruder than you

Total Posts: 9,642
Send a message via MSN to the_rudeboy
How do kids of mothers who have remarried go on?
_______
TOP TIP: Recreate your very own version of the Hungry Hippo’s game by going along to a Weight Watchers meeting and emptying a box of Maltesers on the floor.
18-08-2010, 23:07   #19
rubydazzler

Total Posts: 20,437
It's two years since the OP. I wonder whether they actually needed any of the documentation suggested?
_______
"Queen of spin"
Reply To Topic