Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Diabetics: Can a cup of tea with sweetener raise your blood sugar levels?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

11-07-2008, 10:34   #1
sTaGeWaLkEr

Total Posts: 5,712
As thread title.

This morning I accidentally forgot to test my blood sugar levels before eating or drinking. Normally I'm pretty good, but due to being distracted early this morning, it kinda got missed.

I only had one cup of tea with sweeteners before testing. When I did test, my levels were 11.5! This is abnormally high for me (I tend to be anywhere between 5 and 8 first thing in a morning)

I didn't have anything sweet yesterday - and ate dinner about 7pm last night.

Confused.com

_______
If you're sad, then I'm sad. If you cry, then I'll cry. If you bleed, then I bleed. If you jump off a bridge, I'll miss our chats.
11-07-2008, 10:36   #2
Suffragette1

Total Posts: 15,072
Sweetners can't raise you BMs as far as I'm aware as they're not sugar based.

It could just be a rogue reading, when was your machine last callibrated?
_______
Anyone who is triggered by the rape apology on this forum & elsewhere, you can contact: Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90; Rape Crisis: 0808 802 9999; NAPAC: 0800 085 3330 (men and women); Survivors UK: male rape or sexual abuse: 0845 122 1201. You will not be judged. You can speak in confidence & be believed.
11-07-2008, 10:40   #3
Thunzi
Lion King

Total Posts: 5,671
No, milk has carbohydrate in it so that can raise your blood sugars, sweetners have no affect at all.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh sTaGeWaLkEr. Have you been diabetic long? You'll soon learn that even if you do exactly the same things day in, day out, your blood sugar levels will be different. It frustrates a lot of 'new starters' as it's not something that can be regulated to a high degree.
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
11-07-2008, 10:40   #4
sTaGeWaLkEr

Callibrated?

Que?

_______
If you're sad, then I'm sad. If you cry, then I'll cry. If you bleed, then I bleed. If you jump off a bridge, I'll miss our chats.
11-07-2008, 10:45   #5
sTaGeWaLkEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazE View Post
No, milk has carbohydrate in it so that can raise your blood sugars, sweetners have no affect at all.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh sTaGeWaLkEr. Have you been diabetic long? You'll soon learn that even if you do exactly the same things day in, day out, your blood sugar levels will be different. It frustrates a lot of 'new starters' as it's not something that can be regulated to a high degree.
Was probably the milk then.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not worried - it was just unusual. But then again, I don't normally have a cuppa at 6am before testing half an hour later.

I've been diabetic since Oct last year - and by and large, I'm doing pretty ok with it. My HSBC (sic) test is good anyway.
_______
11-07-2008, 10:46   #6
sTaGeWaLkEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffragette1 View Post
Sweetners can't raise you BMs as far as I'm aware as they're not sugar based.
I thought that too. Although Lizz hates me using them because she tells me they're likely to fry my brain or something...

I gave up sugar - I'm damned if I'm gonna give up sweeteners!
_______
11-07-2008, 10:47   #7
Suffragette1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTaGeWaLkEr View Post
Was probably the milk then.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not worried - it was just unusual. But then again, I don't normally have a cuppa at 6am before testing half an hour later.

I've been diabetic since Oct last year - and by and large, I'm doing pretty ok with it. My HSBC (sic) test is good anyway.
Was it full fat milk? Are you stressed? This can affect BMs. With women, hormonal fluctuations can also affect their readings, but I am assuming this doesn't apply to you.
_______
Anyone who is triggered by the rape apology on this forum & elsewhere, you can contact: Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90; Rape Crisis: 0808 802 9999; NAPAC: 0800 085 3330 (men and women); Survivors UK: male rape or sexual abuse: 0845 122 1201. You will not be judged. You can speak in confidence & be believed.
11-07-2008, 10:50   #8
Suffragette1

Quote:
I thought that too. Although Lizz hates me using them because she tells me they're likely to fry my brain or something...

I gave up sugar - I'm damned if I'm gonna give up sweeteners!
That's Lizz for you!! All very well, but diabetics have no choice in the matter, so thank heaven for sugar substitutes.

If you're stressed though it can affect your blood sugars. Adrenalin is an antagonist to insulin.

You should be eating breakfast though naughty to try and maintain your blood sugar levels rather than having hypos and hypers.

I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy and ended up on insulin at 28 weeks gestation. It cleared up aftewards though.
_______
11-07-2008, 10:55   #9
Thunzi
Lion King

Total Posts: 5,671
Quote:
Some people seem to think that aspartame (one of the ingrediants of sweetner) is a dangerous chemical and should be banned. There was a thread about it causing cancer and mood swings.

Tests took place on mice, they had to drink the equivalent of 8 litres of coke a day for the cancer to start. I can honestly say I've been drinking diet drinks for at least 25 years (been diabetic for nearly 26 now) and I'm extremely healthy and don't suffer from any side affects that I'm aware of.
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
11-07-2008, 16:00   #10
teddie

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 3,349
Quote:
As thread title.

This morning I accidentally forgot to test my blood sugar levels before eating or drinking. Normally I'm pretty good, but due to being distracted early this morning, it kinda got missed.

I only had one cup of tea with sweeteners before testing. When I did test, my levels were 11.5! This is abnormally high for me (I tend to be anywhere between 5 and 8 first thing in a morning)

I didn't have anything sweet yesterday - and ate dinner about 7pm last night.

Confused.com

Is 11.5 a high reading then? Mine is 22 and I'm not diabetic
_______
Do I love you? Indeed I do.
. http://www.missingamy.net
11-07-2008, 16:02   #11
Suffragette1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddie View Post
Is 11.5 a high reading then? Mine is 22 and I'm not diabetic
The normal fasting one (ie first thing in the morning) is between 2.5 and 4.5 (I think). Anything above 7.5-8.0 is considered as diabetic. 22 is very high. How do you know what it is btw?
_______
11-07-2008, 16:06   #12
ladyacademic
bluestocking

Total Posts: 819
The body produces a natural early-morning sugar dump from the liver (called the "dawn effect"). So a blood sugar test in the morning at a slightly different time to usual might have picked this up.
_______
posh bird
11-07-2008, 16:33   #13
anniec

Total Posts: 2,158
Quote:
The normal fasting one (ie first thing in the morning) is between 2.5 and 4.5 (I think). Anything above 7.5-8.0 is considered as diabetic. 22 is very high. How do you know what it is btw?
If your blood sugar is below 4.0 then thats classed as a Hypo and you should have some sugar. Your fasting reading (when your just up) should be between 4.0 - 6.0 mmols and after food it should be between 6.0-8.0 mmols.

If you have a reading of 22 you should speak to a Dr as it's likely your diabetic.

I started as having gestational diabetes and it hasn't gone away
11-07-2008, 16:36   #14
Suffragette1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniec View Post
If your blood sugar is below 4.0 then thats classed as a Hypo and you should have some sugar. Your fasting reading (when your just up) should be between 4.0 - 6.0 mmols and after food it should be between 6.0-8.0 mmols.

If you have a reading of 22 you should speak to a Dr as it's likely your diabetic.

I started as having gestational diabetes and it hasn't gone away
Sorry to hear that. As having had gestational diabetes, I am at risk of developing Type II.

The readings I quoted are the ones I was given when I was pregnant. I think they give narrower margins to pregnant women, well that's what I was told at the time.

I agree, 22 is a very high reading.
_______
11-07-2008, 16:49   #15
teddie

Forum Helper
Quote:
I had a medical for an insurance policy, my cholesteral is high also, but no one said see a doctor or anything. I had to have a blood test (fasting) then eat a cake than an hour later have another blood test, that's how I found out. Chuffing Hell are there any other symptons for diabeties? Looks like I'll be in a diabetic coma if you lot are right, before long?
_______
11-07-2008, 17:41   #16
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 41,152
Quote:
I had a medical for an insurance policy, my cholesteral is high also, but no one said see a doctor or anything. I had to have a blood test (fasting) then eat a cake than an hour later have another blood test, that's how I found out. Chuffing Hell are there any other symptons for diabeties? Looks like I'll be in a diabetic coma if you lot are right, before long?
If you are as high as 22s, then you urgently need to get seen by a medic. (likewise for the cholesterol reading) 22 is frighteningly high.

A reading of 22 after eating something sweet shows that your body is certainly not dealing at all effectively, with the carbohydrate you ingest, as it should be doing.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

There are 1.7 billion Muslims. Don't you think that if Islam really promoted terrorism, we would all be dead?
11-07-2008, 17:50   #17
anniec

Total Posts: 2,158
your unlikely to go into a coma, however I suggest you see a Dr regarding the blood sugar. They will take some blood and check you.
11-07-2008, 18:06   #18
teddie

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniec View Post
your unlikely to go into a coma, however I suggest you see a Dr regarding the blood sugar. They will take some blood and check you.
So arethere no symptons for diabities?? How would anyone know if they had it (apart from a blood test)?
_______
11-07-2008, 18:26   #19
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 41,152
Quote:
So arethere no symptons for diabities?? How would anyone know if they had it (apart from a blood test)?
Thrush, is a big sign, (frequent attacks of...) in both men and women
Boils:- again, frequent clusters of them, mostly "down-below"
Cuts and wounds being slow to heal
Blurry eyes (ie strong change in your prescription
Unquenchable, massive thirst (my friends little girl supped a full 2 litre bottle of pop in an hour just before she was diagnosed)
Very strong sweet smell of honey in the urine (smells like sugar puff cereal)
Frequently and urgently needing the loo, (pee-ing much more often)
Getting up in the night, lots of times for a pee
tiredness

In older people, there are signs like white marks on chaps' trouser fronts where the sugar has dried on splashes of pee, also similar marks round the loo/ on the loo seat.

Not all of these symptoms, in isolation automatically means that you are or are not diabetic, but a number of them, together, could be a strong indication that you may possibly be.

a very simple, quick and easy blood test, at your doctor can tell you virtually in an instant if you are or are not.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

There are 1.7 billion Muslims. Don't you think that if Islam really promoted terrorism, we would all be dead?
Reply To Topic