Your message here

Indian groceries shop in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

03-07-2008, 05:26   #1
akiras

Total Posts: 10
hi all,
i am new to sheffield and i need some help....im in search of indian groceries shop in sheffield city centre...does anyone know abt any indian shops in or around city centre...
03-07-2008, 06:30   #2
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,294
Ihere are a couple of stalls in the market that call themselves "continental" stalls, which sell spices and other stuff like mooli etc.

I think you may have to have a wander along London Road/Abbeydale road, near the Picture Palace for these, or up spital hill in Burngreave. (you'll probably also fnd these shops in darnall)
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
03-07-2008, 06:32   #3
samantha elw

Total Posts: 186
Try London Road, Abbeydale Road." Shars" (i think that is what they call it).
03-07-2008, 06:33   #4
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha elw View Post
Try London Road, Abbeydale Road." Shars" (i think that is what they call it).
that would be "Shahs", directly beside the Picture-palace.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
03-07-2008, 07:50   #5
spicey

Total Posts: 923
Depends what you need. If you want more variety, just take a trip to Leicester and get everything in one go.

I buy things like rice (Kohinoor) and mostly use whatever veg I can get in Tescos. Everything else, lentils, spices and chappati flour, I stock up when I visit my parents who shop in Kingsbury in London and buy 5-10kg of everything.

I have to admit, the section in Tesco gets bigger every time I go there, they even have some frozen veg like bhindi and ghuvar (Taj) which I have in my freezer for back-up veg.

Last edited by spicey; 03-07-2008 at 07:52.
03-07-2008, 11:02   #6
Yog Sothoth

Total Posts: 2,528
There's some good ones up London Road. There's one which is like a sort of open-fronted warehouse, in an old building up grimethorpe or Firth Park or Wincobank or somewhere that part of town, up above Brightside sort of area. They sell stuff in bulk. Really good place.
_______
When the stars are right, Yog Sothoth will open The Gate, and the Old Ones will return.
03-07-2008, 11:04   #7
Yog Sothoth

Total Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicey View Post
Depends what you need. If you want more variety, just take a trip to Leicester and get everything in one go.

I buy things like rice (Kohinoor) and mostly use whatever veg I can get in Tescos. Everything else, lentils, spices and chappati flour, I stock up when I visit my parents who shop in Kingsbury in London and buy 5-10kg of everything.

I have to admit, the section in Tesco gets bigger every time I go there, they even have some frozen veg like bhindi and ghuvar (Taj) which I have in my freezer for back-up veg.
Bradford's only an hour away. Tons of asian supermarkets (mainly pakistani). Pakeezah on Leeds Rd sell everything you might wish for, and are cheap! Actually, I think one of them is opening a Sheffield outlet soon.

http://www.pakeezah.com/
_______
When the stars are right, Yog Sothoth will open The Gate, and the Old Ones will return.

Last edited by Yog Sothoth; 03-07-2008 at 11:07.
Sponsored Links
03-07-2008, 11:07   #8
akiras

thnks for the replies!!! i shall try these shops during the weekend !!!
03-07-2008, 19:43   #9
JanP

Total Posts: 317
There are quite a few in Fir Vale and Page Hall.
03-07-2008, 19:44   #10
k.glover12

Total Posts: 3
parson cross
03-07-2008, 21:48   #11
Alastair

Total Posts: 4,286
Quote:

Tesco are the Evil Empire. They're now concentrating their efforts on ethnic shops and have Indo-Pakistani and Polish sections.

Don't let them take over everything and support your local shops. I always used Shah's on Abbeydale Road for my Indian cookery supplies. They have an amazing range and are cheap too. They've been there forever, well at least back to the 70's

One of my favourite Sheffield shops
04-07-2008, 05:25   #12
akiras

hi all,,
i searched for quite a few shops before posting this thread... and i finally ordered from itadka.com and got the groceries delivered to my home... need to try the shops mentioned in this thread this weekend...hope i find things cheaper then what i have ordered....
04-07-2008, 08:09   #13
spicey

Total Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Tesco are the Evil Empire. They're now concentrating their efforts on ethnic shops and have Indo-Pakistani and Polish sections.

Don't let them take over everything and support your local shops. I always used Shah's on Abbeydale Road for my Indian cookery supplies. They have an amazing range and are cheap too. They've been there forever, well at least back to the 70's

One of my favourite Sheffield shops
I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.
05-07-2008, 15:32   #14
Alastair

Total Posts: 4,286
No, Shah's is just groceries, no butchers section.
24-02-2010, 13:25   #15
megh55555

Total Posts: 20
I wouldnt really suggest Shah's considering expired products for sale and a really unhealthy place to buy stuff. I suggest Cash and Carry along Abbey Dale road (almost opposite Spar).. Another place is Yasmin around Eclessal Road.. Which I would say is the best place to buy indian masalas.
24-02-2010, 13:28   #16
Amaranthus
Missus Kong

Total Posts: 6,759
Spital Hill would be closer than London rd wouldn't it.
24-02-2010, 17:29   #17
nerosun

Total Posts: 120
Rehman`s just past the traffic lights at abbeydale rd and sheldon rd, opposite the Broadfield pub, spotless and stocks all breads, rice, flour, spices, fresh veg and excellent halal meat section.
24-02-2010, 17:32   #18
neeeeeeeeeek
Sumatran rat-monkey

Total Posts: 14,124
Walk down past the markets, along the Wicker, under the Wicker arches and up the hill. LOADS of shops which should sell everything you need.
_______
Peeple of zee wurl, relax!
24-02-2010, 17:43   #19
John X

Total Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog Sothoth View Post
Bradford's only an hour away.
And Leeds is even closer!

Maumoniats in Brudenell Grove are very good and their vegetarian samosas are fantastic!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...59.03,,0,-0.78

John X

Last edited by John X; 24-02-2010 at 17:45.
24-02-2010, 18:20   #20
Flowersfade

Total Posts: 4,621
Quote:
I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.
So is it just specifically halal meat which makes you puke?
Reply To Topic