How do new passports arrive ?

Today I have all the original documents back from a passort application, the letter with them said the actuall passports will arrive soon. Do the passports arrive via a courrier or with the royal mail?

I am a little concerned because there have been a few issues with our postal deliverys of late and do not want our postman to deliver them to the wrong place. What's the timescale for the passports to come after the supporting documents have been deliverd?

Mine came the day before the documents were returned, they must send them at roughly the same time, although quite why they can't use the same envelope is beyond me.

Mine came the day before the documents were returned, they must send them at roughly the same time, although quite why they can't use the same envelope is beyond me.

I would guess that they avoid putting them in the same envelope for security reasons.

I think the docs are sent via royal mail's recorded delivery system. I believe it can take up to 5 working days to be delivered under that system.

They come by recorder / registered post, you will have had to pay for delivery at time of application.

It seems to vary. Sometimes they come and you have to sign for them, but our two were just dropped through the letter box - the documents which we paid to have returned by recorded delivery came back on their own and were signed for.

However I don't think it was royal mail, probably some special courier, as they didn't have a normal royal mail post mark on them.

I had mine done 3 weeks ago. They come separately by a company called "Secure Mail". They send your old one back by standard post because its invalid. Your new one is hand delivered, by a (uniformed & badged) Secure Mail employee in an unmarked car and you sign for it. Its purely for security so your passport cant be intercepted, identity stolen etc. They usually try and deliever it a day or so after your old one turns up, if not you'll get a text/call to rearrange delivery.

Well, they call it secure, they lost mine in the post the week before I went away, after applying a good 4 months earlier for a new one. Ended up driving to Liverpool to get a new one the night before I left - Not much fun. God knows where my original passport is now, probably helping some immigrant cross the border :hihi:

Cos if all documents and passport got lost together you'd have no proof of ID.

Cos if all documents and passport got lost together you'd have no proof of ID.

God I can be a der-brain at times.

Also, forgot to say in last post, mine came by normal postal service, or I assume it was because it was put through the letter box.