Restaurants on Ecclesall Road

Taking my GF out for a meal on saturday want to know of any nice BUT cheap-ish places to eat.

Im a student please be kind

Last time I checked there was Cafe Uno near the Hunters Bar roundabout, which is nice and pretty cheap.

edit:

Sticking with the chains, there is also a Cafe Rouge further down the street (about half-way between Hunters and Safeway roundabouts).

edit 2:

Welcome to the forums - tell your mates :thumbsup:

i went to la luna (at banner cross, eccy rd) earlier on in the week and was mightily unimpressed. it was the first time i've ever left 3/4 of my meal on the plate at the end of the main course.

the menu was nothing special or different from all the other average italian restaurants in sheffield and it was generally £2 per course more expensive than the rest.

my company enjoyed the meal so maybe judgements depend on expectations and experience. my fat belly can testify the amount of lovely restaurants i've been to! maybe i'm being a snob, i'm lucky to have eaten in some of londons top italians. but i expect fresh ingredients when paying for food! some fresh basil and vine tomatoes could have easily changed my mind about my bland dolmio sauce dish.

on the plus side it is bring your own wine and the waiters were attentive and accommodating and theres always the banner pub next door for a bag of crisps!

Cafe Rouge is nice but I consider the food relatively expensive (particularly for a student).

Cafe Uno is a good choice.

Originally posted by tinajones

i went to la luna (at banner cross, eccy rd) earlier on in the week and was mightily unimpressed.

... it was generally £2 per course more expensive than the rest.

on the plus side it is bring your own wine and the waiters were attentive and accommodating

I've been a couple of times and not been disappointed. I've certainly had better Italian but I've paid more for it. If you know where there's better and cheaper Italian in Sheffield please tell us where.

The mark-up on wine in restaurants is usually enormous - as they don't have a license La Luna can't benefit from that so I guess a slight weighting on the food prices compensates.

I like to be able to take a 10 quid bottle with me and know it's not the cheapest paint-stripper with the massive mark-up some restaurants will provide for 10 quid. And when I go somewhere where the food is £20 a head and pay £30 for a bottle that would cost £10 elsewhere I feel robbed (so I pay them £10 for the stuff I know is really going to be £3 battery acid).

yes, even the bbc sheffield greedy cow restaurant guide slagged off la luna. but i understand that restuarants quality can vary depending on the chef/management on the night.

for cheaper italian food that is also tasty you could try BB's (also is BYO wine) next to the forum in town - you would think with that location they could jack up the prices with no questions asked.

Taking my GF out for a meal on saturday want to know of any nice BUT cheap-ish places to eat.

Im a student please be kind

nonna is quite cheep and very nice i took my wife ther for are wedding aniverary i loved the focattica

nonna is quite cheep and very nice i took my wife ther for are wedding aniverary i loved the focattica

nice? yes

cheap? hell no!

The thread is 7 years old - I reckon he's graduated by now ...

Haha!!

Sorry! didnt even look at the op date! duh!