Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Renting a licensed kitchen to start my catering business?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Business & Employment

Reply To Topic

17-05-2008, 20:45   #1
japanpooo

Total Posts: 9
I am looking into starting a small catering business and need a licensed premise to use for a few hours every week. Does anyone know where I could rent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? a cafe or a community hall or something?

Thankyou
17-05-2008, 20:59   #2
Whatif wewin

Total Posts: 2,705
What exactly do you mean by licensed, do you want to sell/ serve liqour, or do you simply mean registered to use as a catering outlet?
18-05-2008, 09:23   #3
japanpooo

sorry, I mean registered as a catering premise. My idea is to use some kitchen space to prepare and cook, then deliver the goods myself to my customers.
18-05-2008, 10:26   #4
Whatif wewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanpooo View Post
sorry, I mean registered as a catering premise. My idea is to use some kitchen space to prepare and cook, then deliver the goods myself to my customers.
There are many community centres under used, that might rent you a space for minimal cost, but make sure that you inform SCC Environmental health dept. The will be helpful, but if you go ahead without; and break any health or safety legislation they will be less so.
18-05-2008, 10:38   #5
japanpooo

I thought I would try community centres, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any in particular. I will endeavour to research it. Thank-you for your help.
18-05-2008, 11:26   #6
lyndix
forum trumper

Total Posts: 8,670
Quote:
I am looking into starting a small catering business and need a licensed premise to use for a few hours every week. Does anyone know where I could rent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? a cafe or a community hall or something?

Thankyou
I used to do catering vans on building sites.
If you approach building firms such as whites, henry boots etc. and say your interested in doing on site catering. They provide the basics in a large portakabin. They supply the electrics, gas etc. so you have no bills.
The only rule is you have to keep your prices low for the workers.
A great starting point if you don`t have premises.
18-05-2008, 11:41   #7
japanpooo

thanks for the tip!

Amy
18-05-2008, 12:00   #8
Tony

Total Posts: 22,414
Send a message via MSN to Tony
From what I remember, and unless things have changed you don't need 'licensed premises' though the councils Environmental Health Inspectors might give you a hard time to encourage you to meet their 'standards'. You need to do some stuff, but your home kitchen might well be ok and will probably be better than any village hall.

Good luck with the new venture !
_______
It's the devil's advocaat innit
Otherwise, occasionally gone.
18-05-2008, 15:31   #9
shullie

Total Posts: 498
we have had the same problem looking for somewhere suitable. Can't afford to set up our own kitchen as yet... re using your own home kitchens' that's fine as long as you don't have any pets etc..
_______
best wishes
Shullie
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
18-05-2008, 15:37   #10
foxforcefive

Total Posts: 3,910
So, to clarify, it is okay to use your own kitchen for cooking things to sell? What about insurance, hygiene inspection etc?
_______
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.”
18-05-2008, 15:45   #11
S6 D.I.Y

Total Posts: 1,881
theres not only the place of cooking but also what ever transport you use to move the food once coked needs to be checked by EHO officers .

best to keep on the right side of them and they are normally pretty good at advise and suport.

maybe a pub may let you rent there kitchen
_______
garryhallows@hotmail.comtel07786268829
your frendly handyman.no job to small or big.
if a job worth doing worth doing it right
10% discount to all sheffield forum members
18-05-2008, 15:54   #12
Whatif wewin

Quote:
I thought I would try community centres, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any in particular. I will endeavour to research it. Thank-you for your help.
It will depend on exactly what type of operation you want to carry out.
What I mean is will you be doing outside catering i.e taking prepared food/ sandwhich buffets, hot/ cold out to venues for such as weddings anniversary parties etc ?

I know that Upperthorpe Community Centre has a half decent kitchen that is under used, the building is half used by SCC.
18-05-2008, 15:57   #13
shullie

Total Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxforcefive View Post
So, to clarify, it is okay to use your own kitchen for cooking things to sell? What about insurance, hygiene inspection etc?
I thought it had to be inspected and you had to have a seperate fridge for the food you are producing? as well as product and personal libility insurance.. plus a cert from EHO
_______
best wishes
Shullie
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
14-06-2008, 17:51   #14
Fancie

Total Posts: 104
You must have your kitchen registered by EHO if its to be used for producing any food for a business.

The standards for registering for a catering business (as apposed to just cakes) are much higher as there is high risk food involved. Get in touch with them for advice, they'll come round and discuss it with you, I found them to be really helpful.

And yes, then you have to look into the transportation etc... they can advise you on that too though.

Good luck!!
_______
For people who like cake.
www.fancie.co.uk

check out our blog to see what's cookin'!
Reply To Topic