Anyone have a copy of Crosspool Clarion to hand?

Im wanting to find out the number for the guy who puts it all together and unfortunately our last one was read and went in the recycling this week.

Thanks

Oh!

I just may have one to hand. Let me wipe the sweat from my brow while I smooth it out, scan it and render it into a viewable format for you.

HERE you go!

You are a star - thank you!

Interesting mag. Used to live on Stephen Hill Rd 1947-1962. I don't think we had all the burglaries then or maybe they weren't publicised. The greengrocers then were Brooke Brays and Sandersons. Turners and Wards for groceries. Seniors and Wallers for newspapers. Forgotten the name of the butchers. There was a fish and chip shop early 50's but this was replaced by a sweet shop - Charles I think. Another shop was Davy's I think. All changed last time I was there 2004. Our house overlooked the allotments on Marsh Lane. Sad about the burglaries there. Oh - Darwins fish shop. And a little shop that sold paint and decorating stuff.

mikeG - I think that the butcher was Frank Mabbott.

I remember a Mabbotts from somewhere. That could be it. Cant remember the shop next to Darwins fish shop or the one next to Seniors. Age is a terrible thing. There was a little bread shop on Lydgate Lane, no doubt long gone. Also a place on Watt Lane where you could buy excellent ice cream.

very interesting MikeG. I can also remember all those shops you mentioned. I used to stay most weekends with my grandparents at Crosspool from 1960 - 1966. In fact, my grandmother was the lady who sold the icecream from one of the dairies at their house (corner of Watt Lane and Cairns Road. I used to help her make it sometimes.

My mother and father in law used to run a newsagents on the corner of lydgate lane i think it was in the 70s. Their surname is Chittenden.

My grandparents were Gwen and Bill Fisher.

Fishers dairy. Remember them. Its all coming back now. Friend of mine - Mick Twigg used to live on Manchester Road not far from off licence at the bottom of Vernon Terrace (Jenkinsons?). Will see him and a few other 60 plusses at Chester races May 7th. Hope its a darn sight warmer than it has been of late.

In the 60s, that off licence at the bottom of Vernon Terrace was the only local place open on a Sunday evening to buy anything. My mum used to call there on the way back home after picking me up from grandparents. We were allowed a treat. I always chose 'grown up' chocolate .... a pack of Mintola's. In those days, all the pubs round there were thriving. The Crosspool Tavern, Kings Head, Sportsman, and the Plough at Sandygate, which my granddad Wilson ran. Different affair nowadays!

I have mentioned this earlier Old Trout but before you joined. The pianist in our group - Barry Holmes had his 21st at the Plough on November 18th, 1960 so I've no doubt I saw your grandparents then. It was my first night out on the ale as I was 18 on the 14th so the end of the evening was a little bit blurred. We finished up at Chez Brion in Broomhill, then had to walk back to Crosspool in the rain. All I had was 3 pints of lager and lime but I hardly noticed the rain.