Kerry's Bicycle Ltd..cant find it on the internet at all

I have discovered an old bike, the Emblem on the front says KERRY'S Great Britain Ltd London E1... I was going to put it on eBay as a possible collector's restoration project so I searched online for details. I couldn't find anything anywhere relating to it .. except the question I have posed on Yahoo Answers myself !!

All I know is that it has a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub .. on the Sturmey site, the hub dates back to 1936.

Does anyone know where I may be able to find more info on the bike..especially as an online search doesn't come up with anything?

My first thought would be JE James; if there's nobody there who can tell you about the bike, there's probably someone there who can find someone who can tell you about it.

It might not be much help, but a quick search reveals this, in which it's stated that "In the early years of the century Saroléas were sold in Britain under the “Kerry” brand.."

And when you say "bike" do you mean cycle or motorbike?

And when you say "bike" do you mean cycle or motorbike?

Good point. To me, bike always means bicyle; if it's a motorbike, JE James would be useless.

Why can't I get the Iceland promoting cake enthusiast out of my head after reading the words Kerry and bike. :help:

Well the bike didn't sell on eBay .. maybe because no one would be looking for something that didn't exist eh .. ??

I had a message from someone else who had an Identical bike .. and likewise she was unable to find anything online about hers either. Strange.

The Kerry bicycle company was based at Warton Road, Stratford, London, E.15 and subsequently imported small mopeds between 1960 and 1968, but these were not a success and the company disappeared.

Looks like you're "saddled" with the memory :)

That joke is getting a bit tyred.

Kerry's had a large showroom/store where MFI used to be on St Mary's Gate, bicycles were displayed in the large front windows; they also sold tools and other accessories. As the OP says, hardly any information is given on the internet.

I worked there around 1966/7, can't remember when the store closed.

I have recently been looking into the history of Kerry's bicycles and found this old thread. If anyone is still interested there are downloadable catalogues on the Veteran Cycle Club's site :

As it's my first post I can't include the link but it should be straightforward to Google search for Veteran Cycle Club and East London Rubber Company.

The East London Rubber Company made a wide range of bicycles for tradesmen and retail brands. In 1903 the ELRC began using the Kerry's brand on children's bikes and sidecars, and the Kerry brand on motorcycles. Sometime post WW2, the ELRC changed it's name to Kerry's.

During the 1960's they produced a 3 speed rival to the 'shopper' style bikes that were being made by Dawes and Raleigh - the 'Cob', but it's difficult to find any evidence of bikes being made into the 1970's.

carosio, I was hoping a search for pictures of St Mary's Gate during the 1960's would reveal the premises but so far I've not found anything.