Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Centertainment Parking - New Regulations

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

07-04-2008, 13:09   #1
Drewy

Total Posts: 1
The new parking regulations went into enforcement today in the Centertainment car park, i.e. using metal railings to block off the whole car park to tram users apart from 250 spaces at the back.

I think this came about because people were abusing it and parking on cross-hatched areas or up curbs when the car park was full. This of course is unacceptable, but do that many people actually go to the cinema during a week-day? The number of spaces left empty in a morning must be in the hundreds!

I was conscientious enough to heed the warnings regularly plastered on my windscreen for the last couple of weeks and get up half an hour earlier than I usually would to secure a space for myself. However, in the future, as tram-users become more wise to the situation, I'm not sure it's going to be that easy.

Is there an alternative nearby that doesn't involve having to get the tram before 08:00 or pay extra for parking?

If it doesn't work out I'll just have to drive into Sheffield - so much for reducing emissions and congestion!
07-04-2008, 13:14   #2
ptigga

Total Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewy View Post
The new parking regulations went into enforcement today in the Centertainment car park, i.e. using metal railings to block off the whole car park to tram users apart from 250 spaces at the back.

Is there an alternative nearby that doesn't involve having to get the tram before 08:00 or pay extra for parking?
What specifically are the new regulations? Do the regulations say that you have to be parked before 8am or is that when you think the 250 spaces will be full by?

Given that there is already a park and ride at Nunnery square, and one at Meadowhall, I can't see how there are going to be more than 250 cars needing to park and ride from Centertainment. Are those 250 spaces reserved specifically for park and ride, or can cinema customers use them too?
07-04-2008, 13:15   #3
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,529
Meadowhall Park&Ride?
07-04-2008, 13:17   #4
Daven

Total Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewy View Post

I think this came about because people were abusing it and parking on cross-hatched areas or up curbs when the car park was full. This of course is unacceptable, but do that many people actually go to the cinema during a week-day? The number of spaces left empty in a morning must be in the hundreds!

I was conscientious enough to heed the warnings regularly plastered on my windscreen for the last couple of weeks and get up half an hour earlier than I usually would to secure a space for myself. However, in the future, as tram-users become more wise to the situation, I'm not sure it's going to be that easy.

If it doesn't work out I'll just have to drive into Sheffield - so much for reducing emissions and congestion!
Where do you live ?
07-04-2008, 13:22   #5
HotPhil
Curry Craver

Total Posts: 8,711
Send a message via MSN to HotPhil Send a message via Skype™ to HotPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptigga View Post
Are those 250 spaces reserved specifically for park and ride, or can cinema customers use them too?
Last time I was there the owners seemed very keen to state that the car parks are for customers whilst using the facilities only. Certainly not a Park & Ride facility.
_______
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them....
07-04-2008, 14:14   #6
theripsaw

Total Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post
Meadowhall Park&Ride?
usually full by 7.30
07-04-2008, 14:15   #7
Heyesey

Total Posts: 12,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotphil View Post
Last time I was there the owners seemed very keen to state that the car parks are for customers whilst using the facilities only. Certainly not a Park & Ride facility.
Correct, but I believe there is another car park, behind the Centertainment, which is a Park & Ride facility. I think the 250 spaces to which he refers are that bit, not the main bit. The main bit only ever has been open to Centertainment customers, and anyone using it for any other purpose was liable to a fine for trespass and/or a wheelclamp.
08-04-2008, 11:02   #8
jazza

Total Posts: 92
The Meadowhall one is usually full by 7.00 am. Centertainment have enforced this before during school holidays but this is the first time (that im aware off) during non school holidays. I went to park there Yesterday and got one of the last parking spots at 7.50. So its a case of getting there 30 mins earlier i think from now on. Iv also heard on radio sheffield that meadowhall has now (or going to) enforced a 3 hour max parking in all their carparks except park & ride but i dont know how true this is. This will be a problem for my missus as when she says shes going to meadowhall for an hour. She actually means 3-4 hours, LOL
_______
Smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
08-04-2008, 11:46   #9
Trouble10

Total Posts: 10
Does anyone know what time the car park at Centertainment is now full in a morning? Do you have to pay to park at Nunnery Square? I live in Conisbrough and work in Sheffield and it's getting harder to get to work! Is there other park and ride car parks available?
08-04-2008, 11:50   #10
Dizzyblonde

Total Posts: 1,541
There is one at middlewood road and one at halfway. Tescos on Abbeydale Road is also a Park and Ride, but not with a tram (which is probably blindingly obvious to anyone in Sheffield) I think the bus is the 505 which goes up to the Hallamshire and other places.
_______
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom too?" (Douglas Adams)
08-04-2008, 12:17   #11
tracysmith21

Total Posts: 120
the park and ride at middlewood always has spaces at 8am, and they have also increased the carpark size since Dec.This also has a bus which is free to tram users-(included on your stagecoach pass) from outerbridge stocksbridge and deepcar.

There is also a park and ride at malin bridge think this is a pound a day. and it is always advertised on the trams so i am guessing it is not used very often. best checking web site for info

www.supertram.com
08-04-2008, 14:48   #12
Heyesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble10 View Post
Does anyone know what time the car park at Centertainment is now full in a morning? Do you have to pay to park at Nunnery Square? I live in Conisbrough and work in Sheffield and it's getting harder to get to work!
Why on earth would you want to get from Conisbrough to Sheffield by car? You're bang on the train line.
09-04-2008, 11:44   #13
Trouble10

Do you know how much the train costs??? It's so expensive to get the train to Sheffield and then the tram to where I work. It's actually cheaper to drive. Plus the train at Conisbrough rarely turns up on time and is absolutely packed on the way home. Plus I have to wait around for 45 mins as they aren't that regular.
09-04-2008, 12:41   #14
feargal
bitterly caustic

Total Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysmith21 View Post
There is also a park and ride at malin bridge think this is a pound a day. and it is always advertised on the trams so i am guessing it is not used very often. best checking web site for info

www.supertram.com
Malin Bridge park and ride is hardly ever full! In fact, I don't think its ever had more than 20 cars in at any one time.
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
09-04-2008, 13:11   #15
Heyesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble10 View Post
Do you know how much the train costs???

I do. You apparently don't, since you think it's cheaper to drive.
_______
Give a man a fish, he'll pester you tomorrow for another one.
Teach him to fish, and he'll be out of your hair for life.

Answers to Google-search questions work the same way.
09-04-2008, 15:18   #16
Trouble10

How much would it cost then to get from Conisbrough to Sheffield and then the tram up to the University per week then?
09-04-2008, 16:42   #17
Greybeard

Total Posts: 10,451
There seem to be parking possibilities close to the Carbrook tram stop on the other side of the canal (opposite the end of Lock House road) - have a look on Google Maps. There's a public footpath link to Shepcote lane via a footbridge.
_______
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. Plato - (429 to 347 BC)
16-07-2014, 12:54   #18
Mike G

Total Posts: 2
Why have a park and ride policy and not provide adequate parking? Absolute crash stupidity. If Sheffield City Council do not own the Centertainment site they need to purchase adequate parking from the owners. Or make it a conditional term of the licensed usage that adequate spaces must be provided.
I am forced to travel in from Leeds because my employer moved the admin part of their business to Sheffield. It takes two and a half hours for me to get into the city centre by public transport in Leeds and then train. I get to Meadowhall at about 9:00 am now and have used Centertainment for neatly two years since they made less parking spaces at Meadowhall for non-disabled parking bvy making nearly 30 bisabled spaces that require disable people to climb two flights of steps to get to the trams and trains. Clever eh? If I cannot find a space when I arrive at Centertainment in a morning where do I go????
16-07-2014, 13:03   #19
Cyclone

Total Posts: 52,325
Crass, you mean?

The council don't own it, it's private land. And under what legislation could they require the owners to provide space for park and ride?

You might equally ask why your employer doesn't provide parking space...

Where do you go? If you've been using it for 2 years it must have happened once or twice? (And are you saying that the park and ride at meadowhall is no good, so you use centretainment?)

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...ield/#section2
Meadowhall - 328 spaces
Centretainment - 200 spaces

Actually, from Leeds, could you not drive to the middlewood P&R? Not whilst the rail replacement works are going on, but when that's done.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
16-07-2014, 13:04   #20
dhs1

Total Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Why have a park and ride policy and not provide adequate parking? Absolute crash stupidity. If Sheffield City Council do not own the Centertainment site they need to purchase adequate parking from the owners. Or make it a conditional term of the licensed usage that adequate spaces must be provided.
I am forced to travel in from Leeds because my employer moved the admin part of their business to Sheffield. It takes two and a half hours for me to get into the city centre by public transport in Leeds and then train. I get to Meadowhall at about 9:00 am now and have used Centertainment for neatly two years since they made less parking spaces at Meadowhall for non-disabled parking bvy making nearly 30 bisabled spaces that require disable people to climb two flights of steps to get to the trams and trains. Clever eh? If I cannot find a space when I arrive at Centertainment in a morning where do I go????
Why are you responding to an eight year old thread? If you've had no problem for two years what has changed?
Reply To Topic