Your message here

Bands of the sixties

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

22-09-2006, 11:08   #141
Janet Olsen

Total Posts: 150
Hi Phil
So sorry to not have replied to your post....million & one excuses all good ones but would love to hear further from you. Can you post me to my private mailbox as I would love to catch up (Used to knock around with you).
_______
J Olsen
22-09-2006, 11:09   #142
Janet Olsen

Total Posts: 150
Sorry, that last quick reply is for Phil Claire.
_______
J Olsen
22-09-2006, 18:54   #143
Onej

Total Posts: 66
What about a band called Shape of the Rain?
23-09-2006, 06:44   #144
willo

Total Posts: 322
cant remember them,the 1 i remember most was called Jade,they used to do the club circuit & were always worth a trip to where ever they were playing.Ime digressing a bit but i always thought the working mens clubs were pretty darn good in the mid to late 70s for the local music scene[comedians too]does it still happen.Ime an expat here in sunny scarborough & as far as w-m-clubs go its eyes down 4 yer next number & some ole gent on the piano.[b4 i get kicked back 2 sheffield, i must add the local scarbro music scene is first rate:- beachfest-murrays & a good few bars]does any 1 remember the fiesta club[used 2 b next to the top rank i think] used to have some big names on there,what happened to it.
23-09-2006, 12:26   #145
willo

oops sry just realised this thread is bands of the 60s
26-09-2006, 15:06   #146
willo

hiall,sry know ime still in wrong thread,but jus remembered[i think]the basement club under mucky duck was called the buccaneer.
27-09-2006, 19:09   #147
Lostrider

Total Posts: 911
Send a message via Skype™ to Lostrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by willo
hiall,sry know ime still in wrong thread,but jus remembered[i think]the basement club under mucky duck was called the buccaneer.
The Bucc was under the Grand Hotel.
_______
AB Decorators
Painting, Decorating, Vinyl Vehicle Graphics.
http://www.abdecor.co.uk
Sponsored Links
27-09-2006, 23:03   #148
willo

n1,think i asked that in another post-lol-so what was the club under mucky duck called?.
28-09-2006, 17:30   #149
Lostrider

Total Posts: 911
Send a message via Skype™ to Lostrider
Quote:
n1,think i asked that in another post-lol-so what was the club under mucky duck called?.
Merry England Bar in the 70,s but it changed to other names, I cant remember what. Maybe Complete Angler?
_______
AB Decorators
Painting, Decorating, Vinyl Vehicle Graphics.
http://www.abdecor.co.uk
28-09-2006, 18:19   #150
willo

yeeeeeeeees,thnx m8,merry england it was, been try'in 2 remember that 4 yonx
30-09-2006, 16:23   #151
Drummerman

Total Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfil
I believe that Lynn Gillette used to be the lead singer of Nevada .They were very popular on the clubs in the seventies and eighties.She looked a lot like Kiki Dee and sang like her.
Can anyone remember the group Love and Confusion from the sixties,I believe they played the Mojo .
Just come across this post. Is this the same Lynne Gillette who sang in the Sue Darrel four around the Sheffield clubs in the early 70s?
01-10-2006, 08:29   #152
xSheffLyn

Total Posts: 5
I was around in the 60's and remember Tony Irvin and the Typhoons - anyone else remember them? I think Tony was a barber!
02-10-2006, 07:09   #153
desy

Total Posts: 920
Passed by one of the old clubland great lead singers on saturday in Pistol Creaks. It was Bitter Suites Barry Marshall, still looks the same curly hair but getting grey now.

Anyone know if he is still singing, Must admit I havn't seen anything of late.
15-12-2006, 17:25   #154
DLBANKER

Total Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerman
Just come across this post. Is this the same Lynne Gillette who sang in the Sue Darrel four around the Sheffield clubs in the early 70s?
Yes I am sure it is.Does anyone know where she is now ??? she had an amazing voice.I have a promo picture of the band from the late 70;s .Signed by the group

Terry Stewart --Drums
Mick Hobcraft -- Keyboards
Gary Clark -- Bass
Stan Day -- Guitar
Lynne Gillette -- Vocals

Me and the missus saw the loads of times around the Sheffield clubs and there was nobody to touch them, they were fantastic--Happy Days!!!!!
15-12-2006, 20:38   #155
Royston

Total Posts: 74
Anybody remember the Kenny Pete Quartet??? Great band around Sheffield in the early sixties, played at all the usual places - Blue Bell Hackenthorpe, Sicey Hotel etc etc. Also any one remember the band, whose name escapes me right now, led by Tony Oliver(I think!) ex Heeley Banker, he lost an arm in a motorbike accident, but again played all the usual haunts. We would meet up with him mainly at the old Arbourthorne Hotel - which I found out on a recent visit had closed down earlier this year.
16-12-2006, 18:05   #156
Timbuck

Total Posts: 578
In the Late Sixties and early Seventies....I was traveling around the country in a Sheffield Trio..and one of the bands we used to stay with in "Artiste digs" was "Mud" who became famous later on, we used to have some great fun with them in those days ..The lead singer "Les Grey" sadly died a couple of years ago aged 57..Now I've been informed the Drummer "Dave Mount" has also died on the 3rd of Dec aged 59.
_______
Any idiot can design a complex device; it's the man who designs a simple device to do the same job who's the real genius.
16-12-2006, 18:16   #157
Timbuck

Total Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Anybody remember the Kenny Pete Quartet??? Great band around Sheffield in the early sixties, played at all the usual places - Blue Bell Hackenthorpe, Sicey Hotel etc etc. Also any one remember the band, whose name escapes me right now, led by Tony Oliver(I think!) ex Heeley Banker, he lost an arm in a motorbike accident, but again played all the usual haunts. We would meet up with him mainly at the old Arbourthorne Hotel - which I found out on a recent visit had closed down earlier this year.
Yes I remember the "Kenny Pete Five" They were resident band at the Sicey Hotel for a while ..One lad was called Pete And his mate was Kenny ..They once won on "Opportunity Knocks" then they downscaled the band and I last remember them working the Clubs as "The Kenny Pete Duo"
_______
Any idiot can design a complex device; it's the man who designs a simple device to do the same job who's the real genius.
17-12-2006, 17:47   #158
Royston

Total Posts: 74
Hi Timbuck I'm pleased someone remembers them!! The other two guys in the band were the pianist Allan, and Norman Aistrop the drummer a very funny little guy - although I thought the Irish guy in the band who was a great singer, was called John (Glass??) I worked with Norman at the YEB where we were Electricians many moons ago. Anyway thanks for the response - Merry Xmas!!
04-01-2007, 01:24   #159
Electron

Total Posts: 1
Royston Asked about Tony Oliver.
I think that he is probably refering to Peter Oliver who fronted several bands in the 60's under the name Tony Gale. Tony Gale and the storms and tony gale and the Chains. Also the band I played with the Tony Gale 5. Tony gale did have an arm which he couldnt use and it was due to a motorcycle accident. He lived on Queens Road on the left hand side near the traffic lights. When we worked together he sang a lot of Carl Perkins and Jim Reaves songs.I cannot remember any of the line up in the storms or the chains but the Tony Gale 5 was Tony on vocals, Alan Marshall on lead guitar Colin Spence on rhythm Ann Strong on Bass and myself David Swain on drums.
Davis Swain
04-01-2007, 03:28   #160
skippy

Total Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Sorry willo, but I think you may have had your buccaneers boxed a bit too much in the past, only kidding.
Reply To Topic