Sheffield Forum

Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-02-2008, 15:24   #41
ellielambert
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Total Posts: 368
You seem to think you have received poor customer service but from what you've said it doesn't seem you have.
The cashier would lose her job if she didn't ID you and it turned out you were underaged. With make up etc nowadays it is easy for someone to look 30 when they're really 16. Everyday we have to do things we don't like to comply with the rules eg sticking to one way systems even if it adds 10 mins to our journey, carrying around ID is just another minor inconvenience that on the whole makes the world run more smoothly.
If some 15 year olds were stoked up on lager and vandalising your car or garden you would be complaining and saying more should be done to stop this.
Rules and routines, like ID anyone who may possibly be under age, are what allow us to live in a civilised society. Stop the whinging and play along.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 15:24   #42
iamthemoon
Registered User
iamthemoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Up a big steep hill
Total Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution200 View Post
I think this thread is getting off the point.

The point about it is, Asda are now beginning to implement a policy whereby if you look under 25, you should be asked for ID.

My point is that the current law states that they should 'challenge 21'. All of the notification around the Asda stores also state that if you look under 21, you will be asked for ID.

Why are they not advising that you will be asked for ID if you look under 25?
anyone who retails alcohol can at any time implement restrictions as to who buys it.

just like having entry refused to club 'because you have white socks on' or being barred in a pub. buy it somewhere else
_______
big and bright, shiney white, everybody look at the moon, everybody look at the moon!!!!!
www.bjjselfdefence.com
www.ekbjjnorth.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 15:36   #43
kieran_grund
Registered User
kieran_grund's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: City Centre (S3)
Total Posts: 505
Send a message via Skype™ to kieran_grund
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution200 View Post
I carry ID. I carry things with my name, address and place of work. The only thing I don't carry is photographic ID. The only photographic ID I have is my passport, and I can't justify carrying that around to go to Asda
Well i can justify it......

The next time you want alcohol from ASDA.
Or are you going to come on here a rant about it saying "oh they stopped me for I.D agin, and wouldn't serve me!"

The Cashier is right
The company does everything in there power to make sure that they don't lose there licence (and righly so).
You are warned before you make the purchase that you may be asked for I.D, and if you don't you may be refused sale.

So it is YOU who is in the wrong
_______
http://kierankast.podbean.com/ for 30mins.... free Techno/Tech-house/House & Trance Podcasts....
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 15:51   #44
RiffRaff
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Total Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran_grund View Post
Well i can justify it......

The next time you want alcohol from ASDA.
Or are you going to come on here a rant about it saying "oh they stopped me for I.D agin, and wouldn't serve me!"

The Cashier is right
The company does everything in there power to make sure that they don't lose there licence (and righly so).
You are warned before you make the purchase that you may be asked for I.D, and if you don't you may be refused sale.

So it is YOU who is in the wrong
Spot on.
If caught serving to underage, the store manager, the duty manager, the beer, wines and spirits manager and the cashier involved are ALL liable to be fined : from memory, up to £10 grand each. Add to that the fact that the store might lose the drinks licence, and you can see why the rules/regs exist.
This kind of thing doesn't just apply to alcohol sales : for obvious reasons, fireworks, adhesives, tobacco all carry similar regulations.
Did you know that "party poppers" are also covered?!
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 15:55   #45
lyndsayx
Registered User
lyndsayx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: ♪♫♪ ♪♫♪ ♪
Total Posts: 1,411
I am almost 26 myself and have noticed i'm getting IDd a lot more recently. Even in Poundland when buying chocolate liquors
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 16:29   #46
Exarkun
Registered User
Exarkun's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Total Posts: 22
I Worked in HMV for a while and used to ask lots of people to prove that they were over 18 to buy an 18 Rated dvd. Why you ask? Because if i got it wrong and was caught i stood to get a £6000 fine and upto a 6 month prison sentance. So form my point of view i ask anyone where i was not sure cause i did not have a spare 6k, i suspect its the same.

I had people like you that would moan about it and refuse to show me id. Guess what the store manager backed me up and they left with out the items they wanted. More so when you get the idots being abusive becasue you have dared to ask to see id.

The shop is entitled to have there policy and are totally correct for enforcing it, my wifes friend was in asda recently and asked for id, she didn't spit her dummy out and stamp her feet.

With everything else thats going on in the world, you choose to moan about having to prove how old you are. GROW UP!
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 16:48   #47
undz
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Total Posts: 158
I can't say I agree with you on any level and I think the best advice I would give is "Put yourself in their shoes". You were offended because you got asked for ID... jeeez... I work in the industry of selling alcolhol and I can tell you without a doubt if I was unsure enough to ask you for ID and you didn't produce it there is no way I'd risk a fine. You could stand there all day if you liked...
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:00   #48
teebee
Registered User
teebee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: somewhere out there
Total Posts: 253
speaking as a cashier, do you think we want all the hassle that comes with having to ask people for id, if i had a quid for everytime i had been called a "fat slag" for refusing to sell alcohol to someone with no ID i would be very rich.

Last edited by teebee; 15-02-2008 at 17:02. Reason: punctuation (or lack off it)
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:11   #49
sheff_girl
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 46
I've been id'd in Asda, made my day tbh. I'm 32!!
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:15   #50
danielle1
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 238
Send a message via AIM to danielle1
i was 19 when i got asked for I.D in HOME BARGINS on the moor in sheffield so i pulled out my CITIZEN CARD with the pass logo on it, but they refused to serve me and told me they didnt accept it as I.D. i only bought the card because it said it was accepted by all shops as I.D. and it was photographic, i was stood complaining for at least 30mins but the assistant wasnt interested i found her to be rude and clever.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:19   #51
kieran_grund
Registered User
kieran_grund's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: City Centre (S3)
Total Posts: 505
Send a message via Skype™ to kieran_grund
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle1 View Post
i was 19 when i got asked for I.D in HOME BARGINS on the moor in sheffield so i pulled out my CITIZEN CARD with the pass logo on it, but they refused to serve me and told me they didnt accept it as I.D. i only bought the card because it said it was accepted by all shops as I.D. and it was photographic, i was stood complaining for at least 30mins but the assistant wasnt interested i found her to be rude and clever.
Was it government sealed?
If not then they won't accept it.

Most places will only accept a passport or drivers licence.
_______
http://kierankast.podbean.com/ for 30mins.... free Techno/Tech-house/House & Trance Podcasts....
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:22   #52
evolution200
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Handsworth
Total Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarkun View Post
I Worked in HMV for a while and used to ask lots of people to prove that they were over 18 to buy an 18 Rated dvd. Why you ask? Because if i got it wrong and was caught i stood to get a £6000 fine and upto a 6 month prison sentance. So form my point of view i ask anyone where i was not sure cause i did not have a spare 6k, i suspect its the same.

I had people like you that would moan about it and refuse to show me id. Guess what the store manager backed me up and they left with out the items they wanted. More so when you get the idots being abusive becasue you have dared to ask to see id.

The shop is entitled to have there policy and are totally correct for enforcing it, my wifes friend was in asda recently and asked for id, she didn't spit her dummy out and stamp her feet.

With everything else thats going on in the world, you choose to moan about having to prove how old you are. GROW UP!
Fair enough. However, if you actually read my post, you will see that the 'store manager' didn't back it up. In the end, I did leave with the items I wanted. And I wasn't abusive. I didn't spit my dummy out, and I didn't stamp my feet.

And with everything else that is going on in the world, does that mean I have to just take a back seat and ignore being treated badly? There are lots of things going on in the world, it doesn't mean I can't complain about what happened in Asda yesterday.

Last edited by evolution200; 15-02-2008 at 17:28.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:25   #53
mrmist
Registered User
mrmist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution200 View Post
And with everything else that is going on in the world, does that mean I have to just take a back seat and ignore being treated badly? There are lots of things going on in the world, it doesn't mean I can't complain about what happened in Asda yesterday.
I think that the point is that you can complain about any level of service that you feel is below par, but not about the act of being asked for ID. There is some inconsistency in being asked for ID and then served anyway without it, but it's not unknown for people to reconsider how old someone is.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:27   #54
evolution200
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Handsworth
Total Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielambert View Post
You seem to think you have received poor customer service but from what you've said it doesn't seem you have.
The cashier would lose her job if she didn't ID you and it turned out you were underaged. With make up etc nowadays it is easy for someone to look 30 when they're really 16. Everyday we have to do things we don't like to comply with the rules eg sticking to one way systems even if it adds 10 mins to our journey, carrying around ID is just another minor inconvenience that on the whole makes the world run more smoothly.
If some 15 year olds were stoked up on lager and vandalising your car or garden you would be complaining and saying more should be done to stop this.
Rules and routines, like ID anyone who may possibly be under age, are what allow us to live in a civilised society. Stop the whinging and play along.
LOL. I received terrible customer service. Both from the cashier and the manager.

As for makeup, well, as a 26 year old bloke, it wasn't an issue. As for the '10 minute' thing, yet again, as I keep saying...... why should I carry my passport around?? It's my only form of photographic ID and I don't see why I should carry it about for the sake of a new and unadvertised policy for Asda, that hasn't been implemented across the business as a whole. Instead, they say it's up to the individual cashiers as to whether or not they ask for ID if you look under 25.

And, no. I will not 'play along'.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 17:41   #55
evolution200
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Handsworth
Total Posts: 224
...............

Last edited by evolution200; 19-06-2009 at 22:16.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 19:09   #56
Grandad.Malky
Registered User
Grandad.Malky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Total Posts: 18,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndsayx View Post
I am almost 26 myself and have noticed i'm getting IDd a lot more recently. Even in Poundland when buying chocolate liquors
I wouldn’t be embaressed if somebody asked me for ID put owning up to buying chocolates from pound land……..
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 19:14   #57
muddywolf
Registered User
muddywolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution200 View Post
I'm a bit annoyed. Here's a copy of what I have sent via the Asda Customer Services section of their website, and also emailed directly to the Handsworth store manager:

"I am writing to complain about an incident that has just occurred at your Asda Handsworth, Sheffield store.

I have been shopping in that store for over three years now including the purchase of alcohol. I will be aged 27 in a month's time, so haven't had to carry any form of photographic identification for almost ten years. However, today, the cashier refused to serve me alcohol as I didn't have any ID. At first, I actually thought she was joking, as there is no way that anyone could possibly think that I look under 21 years old.

However, I have been advised that a new policy is being implemented whereby if you look under 25, customers will be asked for ID. Apparently it is up to each individual cashier as to whether they use this policy.

Perhaps then, Asda as a whole should advertise this fact, as all of your shelves with alcohol still only advise that if you look under 21 then you will be asked to prove your age.

I found the incident extremely embarrassing as there were a number of customers around the till listening to the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor to deal with it, and she advised the cashier, Lee (female), that it was up to her if she wanted to serve me or not. Eventually, she did serve me. She was obviously reluctant and extremely rude.

On exiting the store, I saw a manager and advised him of what had just happened. He shrugged his shoulders and advised that he would speak to her, then turned his back and walked off.

I find it disgusting that I shop in your store every day, and spend upwards of £100 per week there. I also purchase weekly shopping online, including alcohol; and have never had anyone challenge my age.

There is no way that I am going to start carrying my passport around in the off chance that I will be asked for identification in an Asda store.

I really think that your staff require more training regarding the selling of alcohol; otherwise you will begin to lose custom.

I for one will not be shopping with you again after today’s incident, and will instead order my online groceries from Tesco. I do not believe that I look under 25. I also produced my Asda credit card, and advised that I wouldn't have one if I was under 18.

The manner and attitude of the cashier and the manager has left me extremely annoyed, and I would like a reply to this email advising how you will resolve it.”


Has anyone else started experiencing problems regarding this?
You felt embarrassed being asked for ID?
You dont need to carry your passport with you when you do your beer buying, you could always get an over 18's proof of age card.

I know being asked when your clearly over the age is daft, but I dont think the company would change their stance on it, if they for example made an example of the till girl and gave her a warning for asking you, then you would get no one working the till asking for ID and would result in the store being fined.
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 19:42   #58
Alex C.
Registered User
Alex C.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Portsmouth
Total Posts: 2,630
I've got used to it - there's a clear police pressure on bars, pubs and off licenses down here . I know lots of 20-somethings and a few 30-somethings and non of them think it weird or embarrassing to be ID'd, because its just normal, wherever you go.

It's not me either, I was remarkably surprised in Birmingham and Sheffield that I only got ID'd once or twice over a two week period, I just expect it to happen.

Walkabout (in Portsmouth) have an open policy of IDing everyone. Personally, I think its a brilliant idea - if everyone's ID'd, how can you feel embarrassed, and it removes any subjective element from police tests and the cashiers view - it literally becomes 'did they ask for ID or not'?
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 19:46   #59
pinkgirl
Registered User
pinkgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran_grund View Post
The rules are set out everywhere.
If you look under 21 you will get I.D'd. Take it as a compliment and bring your I.D next time.

As an off licence they have the right to refuse sale to anyone.
Eventhough this case is alittle anoying for yourself (and me reading it in anoying red type!) you havn't even got half a leg to stand on.

Alcohol restrictions are becoming very tight in this country. Live by the rules (i.e bring your I.D next time) and you won't have a problem.

The supermarket won't risk a sale without I.D becuase they could lose there licence over it. And the cashier won't risk a sale because he/she would be liable to a £1000 on the spot fine.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my I.D
What if you were mugged, and you were knocked out. No-one would know who you were.
Its sensible to carry I.D
Same goes for cigarette sales. In the shop i work in if a sale
is refused because of no I.d we have to log it in a book.
_______
Live life to the full- you only get one chance
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2008, 20:26   #60
satman2222
Registered User
satman2222's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Lower lower Grenoside
Total Posts: 2,710
It's about time they raised the age limit for alcohol sales to 21 anyway.... If it's good enough for the yanks, it's good enough for us!
_______
Big Brother is watching you!
Worldaid Foundation

Only know you love her when you let her go......
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014