Sheffield LPG Prices - Do you drive an LPG vehicle?

Calling all LPG drivers in Sheffield.

I had an email recently which I thought was a good idea.

I drive a vehicle that is converted to run on LPG (greener fuel) and with it comes the benefit of cheaper fuel costs. However a lot of service stations feel that they are alright to add on 3p here, 5p there and 10p elsewhere per litre on their fuel because petrol goes up too.

LPG attracts low duty from the government and is automatically created when petrol is made from oil. However in some areas in Sheffield it's already 54.9p per litre. The cheapest within a 20 mile radius is 47.9p per litre, a difference of 7p per litre. If the same difference existed in the cost of petrol from one garage to another drivers would be very upset and simply boycott the expensive garage.

However because it's LPG and it's cheaper than petrol anyway, it's alright. Well it's not alright. So I've joined a new group that has been setup to try and get a fair price for LPG in Sheffield.

It's free to join but it needs a lot of people for it to work.

The idea is that when enough people are members to make it worthwhile for certain garages to lower their costs, an email can be sent out regularly to the subscribers letting them know where the cheapest local station is for LPG and recommending the use of that particular garage to get their fuel.

Obviously someone in Woodseats doesn't want to fill up at the cheapest station in Stocksbridge so include your post code and area when you register. That way certain LPG stations in your area can be targeted. If the garage knows they'll get every car driver after their fuel then they'll lower their prices accordingly as LPG is the only fuel where the garage actually has some give in the price (obviously 7p per litre at different locations demonstrates this).

Also the added bonus is that if you do not have a specifically local garage for LPG but there are 100 or 200 other motorists within 5 miles of your home who all drive LPG vehicles, it would show garages that their is demand in your area and maybe they'll fit an LPG pump too.

The service is free and you can unsubscribe at anytime. However there needs to be a lot of people to make it work so tell anyone you know who drives and LPG converted vehicle to join the mailing list and include their post code and area where they live (not their full home address).

Lets see if we can make this work.

The email address to join is: [email protected]

You'll never get the petrol stations to wilt, petrol users have been trying it for years without success.

Plus you get free parking, so stop being so greedy!!

Thanks for your constructive comments. We have paid out over £1500 to be greedy don't forget and we're cleaner to the environment. Thanks for your input.

Any LPG drivers wish to add a comment?

Sorry, I don't fully get it. Not trolling or anything, just need further info (oh, I don't drive an LPG car either).

The intention is to get garages to compete against each other, is that it? Is this going to happen on supply and demand basis - basically you're hoping that enough people will leave an expensive garage for a cheaper one so the expensive one needs to lower its prices to compete?

Will you have a web-site - that way your subscribers can tell their garage about your web site and they can see for themselves and lower the prices (or raise them :()?

Good luck - power to the people and all that.

basically you're hoping that enough people will leave an expensive garage for a cheaper one so the expensive one needs to lower its prices to compete?.

It works for that PetrolPrices site you sign up to. I regularly go to the cheapest.

Sorry, I don't fully get it. Not trolling or anything, just need further info (oh, I don't drive an LPG car either).

The intention is to get garages to compete against each other, is that it? Is this going to happen on supply and demand basis - basically you're hoping that enough people will leave an expensive garage for a cheaper one so the expensive one needs to lower its prices to compete?

Will you have a web-site - that way your subscribers can tell their garage about your web site and they can see for themselves and lower the prices (or raise them :()?

Good luck - power to the people and all that.

In a nut shell yes. No website that I know of, as far as I'm aware they will contact the garages directly, explain that x amount of subscribers to the list in their area will use the cheapest garage for their LPG fuel. If they want the custom, then they need to alter their prices accordingly to make them fair.

I think that petrol prices site will be used to show anyone the current price of the fuel so really no need for another site for the list.

I think its a great idea personally.

AT LAST!!! I no longer feel like the only LPG user in the village! I've been harping on about this on other threads where fuel costs are debated. I've been driving an LPG vehicle for the last 2 years and wouldnt drive anything else!

I completely agree that the price hike on LPG far outweighs that of petrol and have watched it go up by 14p a litre in the last 2 years. My Mecca is Jet near Meadowhall as it's cheaper than anywhere else that I know of, the Jet nr Darnall is good too. BP are the ones to put it up to 54p+.

LPG is a byproduct from the petrol refinery process. So if petrol goes up in price, LPG will go up in price, they are connected.

LPG/Propane will also give you less MPG as it does produce as much energy.

So you need to burn more propane/LPG than you do with petrol.

LPG would not exist without the production of petrol, so its not really cleaner for the environment.

I pay around 1 pound 51 pence per UK gallon of LPG in the US. So its high around the world.

That's still cheaper than in the UK. Your petrol is about 30p a litre where we pay over £1 a litre!!!

LPG is a byproduct from the petrol refinery process. So if petrol goes up in price, LPG will go up in price, they are connected.

LPG/Propane will also give you less MPG as it does produce as much energy.

So you need to burn more propane/LPG than you do with petrol.

LPG would not exist without the production of petrol, so its not really cleaner for the environment.

I pay around 1 pound 51 pence per UK gallon of LPG in the US. So its high around the world.

I know that LPG is a byproduct of creating petrol but the volumes of LPG created in the process of making petrol is massive.

So much so that the cost is far far far cheaper while a lot of it gets wasted by the oil companies. Added to which some petrol companies choose to charge 7p per litre difference than another petrol station selling the same product. They're just taking the michael in every sense of the word.

I have been in touch with John who runs the list and he says it's going well but need more subscribers for it to be worth while so remember to tell anyone you know who has an LPG vehicle.

Have you joined the list Classic Rock?

Hi hope someone can help me here!!

We live in town and need to buy a car. We don't have a car parking space and so would have to rent/buy one. Therefore we are considering getting an LPG car so that we can benefit from the free car parking in Sheffield!! AND the cheap fuel!

Does anyone know if this car parking scheme spreads to other cities? Also any idea as to which car parks it relates to? Am i right in assuming not NCP????

Also do you find problems in locating garages who supply LPG, or are there plenty around in Sheffield?

Would anyone recommend buying a car already converted to LPG, or buy a car and convert it? I know that we'll be looking at about £1.5K extra for the LPG, but we'd be spending close to this just on ca parking for a year... so in the long run LPG looks like a bargain!

ooh whats this about free car parking with LPG? I havent heard of it?