Sheffield Forum

Is there a legal requirement when Transporting a dog in a car?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Pet Owners

Reply To Topic

04-11-2007, 08:42   #1
Mr H

Total Posts: 57
I was just wondering is there a legal requirement when transporting a dog in a car. Do you have to keep them in a crate or must they be on the back seat / boot?

If not, if I was driving a 2 seater sports car and my dog was in the passanger seat would this be a criminal offence?

Thanks for your advice.
04-11-2007, 08:47   #2
Gemima

Total Posts: 3,090
I think the only legal requirment is that your dog remains under control when travelling in a car. If your dog happily sleeps on the back seat and not moving around then that is fine. If you were pulled over and your dog was sat on your knee, then I think you would be in trouble with the bobbys.
04-11-2007, 08:53   #3
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,846
43: When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you if you stop quickly.

http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_co...ls.html#rule42
_______
Q: What is conservatism? A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy
04-11-2007, 09:04   #4
Adz

Total Posts: 1,924
Was the dog strapped in with a car harness type seatbelt? if not then according to the above i imagine it is. I must also say cos i cannot help myself am sorry but to me it would be dangerous to not have your dog secured if they were sitting in a front seat of a 2 seater car. We have ours strapped in on the back seat just in case.
04-11-2007, 10:29   #5
katkin

Total Posts: 5,662
It's common sense to ensure your dog is restrained in some way, in case of an accident. If you are travelling at speed and your dog is loose on the back seat, when you stop suddenly you could end up with several stone of dog flying at you at top speed -nasty, for you and your pet. If it is in the front seat, it could easily end up through the windscreen and out on the road. Not only that, as others have said, in an emergency situation, last thing you need is a dog that is running loose, could attack you or others out of fear or is severely injured.

It may look cool to let your pet hang it's head out of the wound-down window from the comfort of the passenger seat, but I dont think squashed dead dog is that cool, really. My dobermutt hated her dog crate and our latest car is too small for one anyway, but she has a dog harness/seat belt and is always buckled up when we go on any journey- long or short.

The police can stop you if you are not driving with due care and attention - and a loose dog can be a major distraction.
04-11-2007, 11:23   #6
ricky36

Total Posts: 1,039
http://www.petcare.org.uk/index.php?...154&Itemid=125

I think this information answers all the question
04-11-2007, 12:43   #7
Dozy

Total Posts: 15,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
I was just wondering is there a legal requirement when transporting a dog in a car. Do you have to keep them in a crate or must they be on the back seat / boot?

If not, if I was driving a 2 seater sports car and my dog was in the passanger seat would this be a criminal offence?

Thanks for your advice.
Maybe not a criminal offence, but the dog would be far safer in a harness as other posters have pointed out.
Sponsored Links
04-11-2007, 13:02   #8
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,337
Whatever the law says, I think it makes sense for a dog to wear a car harness and to be trained to be comfortable settled with their seat belt on (or in a crate) when travelling, both for their safety and the safety of the humans in the car.

I wouldn't fancy being hit by a 30kg projectile in the event of a crash and I don't think it would do her much good either.
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

04-11-2007, 23:24   #9
ANDIM68

Total Posts: 638
Ignore the link title regarding child seats but take a look http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/pdfs/pets.pdf
_______
We all make mistakes in life, If only there was a way to erase them!
Reply To Topic