The incredible rise and fall of Sheffield City Airport: closure date 22 April 08

Despite the fact that I would like to see the airport remain open, I, like many others, am resigned to its eventual closure.

However, I was at least expecting to see a partial operation continue for some time because the operators were proposing that the runway be shortened to half its current length and the rest of it built on.

When this shortening was first proposed there was an outcry which resulted in a specially commisioned report. That report, amongst many other things, looked at the runway being shortened to half its current length. There were then various meetings about this proposal and the report including a council meeting.

Why the update?

The airport owners have submitted an outline planning application with the same name as the previous proposal that was reported on, but with one huge difference. The runway will be a quarter of its current length rather than a half, effectively restricting it to helicopters only.

My view is that the current application, because it has the same name as the one which was reported on and discussed, is expecting to get in under the radar as everyone will assume it is the same as we already knew about. In fact it will include far more buildings than was originally reported on as well as other uses such as bars etc.

What can be done about this if they are making a significant change compared to the original proposal that was discussed at length?

For those of you that don't want the airport, I would offer this snippet of information from the airports own website:-

http://www.sheffieldcityairport.com/news.shtml - see november news (just before they put in the outline planning application)

"Luca Foroni director of 'Foroni' special steels based in Italy is very interested in the airport remaining open to set up facilities and expand their companies product range. Luca flew in on the 23rd November in the 'Learjet' 40 pictured right. "

No great surprise really - reducing the runway to 640m always called into question the viability of fixed wing operations.

Details of the planning application, and supporting documents and plans, can be found here:

Sheffield Business Park Planning Application

Any proposals / plans for heliport operations, apparently, are subject to a separate application.

I don't work there any more, so I am out of the loop for any other gossip / information

Originally posted by MrH

No great surprise really - reducing the runway to 640m always called into question the viability of fixed wing operations.

It may not be a surprise to you, but I think we have had the wool pulled over our eyes. This is a much larger development that was originally talked about when there was all the fuss in the papers - remember the "buy the airport for £1" stories.

If the original proposal left half the runway then, in very rough terms, half of it was used for development. Now that 3/4 of the runway is being built on they will have 50% extra offices for their £1.

At the time of the original proposals a very expensive report was written and discussed by the council. Then we have this planning application which appears to be the same but which has actually removed all flying from the airport and added far more development/traffic etc. The original report was done under false pretences and they should start again.

foroni are a steel producing plant in italy- i speak with them on a daily basis- wonder what they are doing there?

Originally posted by scottf

foroni are a steel producing plant in italy- i speak with them on a daily basis- wonder what they are doing there?

It seems that they are interested in setting up facilities in Sheffield but that the closure of the airport is an issue for them. This is the fourth example of someone either leaving Sheffield or being put off moving here because of the proposed closure of the airport, I have heard of in the last few months.

The problem is that the airport is seen as purely in terms of "no scheduled traffic" on one side and "lots of potential office space" on the other. The fact is that there is lots of space available to build offices but we will never get another airport. Many wealthy business people simply don't trade in a city where they have to get the bus from an airport 20 miles away (when we even get a bus!). A great city like Sheffield can't think of a key facility like this just in terms of holiday flights.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but what is the big attraction for all these offices? Just across the parkway is a custom built office development site, which has nothing on it.

I simply cannot see the logic in killing a viable transport artery.

Originally posted by alchresearch

I'm not sure if it's just me, but what is the big attraction for all these offices? Just across the parkway is a custom built office development site, which has nothing on it.

There also seem to be many office developments that stand empty for years. Many of them seem to be very boring building which have presumably been built at minimum cost.

Although I would like to see the airport stay open, if we really must build on this space, then lets at least do something imaginative that will make our city stand out. The current airport proposal is for lots of square blocks evenly spaces along the runway and it will be boring at best, sort of Milton Keynes without the conrete cows - perhaps we will get concrete aircraft!

This facility was built for the people of Sheffield in exchange for the coal that was dug out from underneath and the massive amounts of money they made from associated office space. If it isn't to be an airport, because they claim it costs to much to run, then it should be something else that can benefit the people. I would suggest a great new park with the odd office building to keep the developers happy. But even if it must become a development of some kind it can be an imaginative one with long tree lined boulavards (previously called a runway!) that are open to the public. Perhaps it could be another Meadowhall but with all the shops outdoors in unusual buildings and with sculptures and trees all around.

Originally posted by alchresearch

On your first point, it's worth pointing out that airports and offices go together very well.

On your second point, you're right. However, we live in a city where the City Council see no need for an airport for business people, in the same way that 'Sheffield women don't want posh frocks". (©Sheffield Labour Party).

A business airport has little if any direct impact on the average Sheffield Labour voter, so it is simply not on the Council radar. The airport attracts no votes, so why should they support it?

Being able to announce 'new' jobs on a business park is far more fruitful for councillors.

Ah well. :(

Originally posted by Tony

A business airport has little if any direct impact on the average Sheffield Labour voter, so it is simply not on the Council radar. The airport attracts no votes, so why should they support it?(

It is more likely that the real impact hasn't been properly communicated to them. If companies are factoring in the airport when they decide if they will move here (or stay) then this has a very direct impact. If an Italian steelmaker might decide to come here (or not) depending on whether we have an airport then the airport may very well be the deciding factor on whether Sheffield has a Steel Industry. I also note that Sheffield University has written to the council about the airport as they had planned an aeronautical engineering degree which would include flying training and may have to cancel it.

The airport appears to make a loss but needn't do so. It has staffing appropriate for an airport that takes commercial flights and yet there are none. Keeping the runway so that executive jets could use it does not require more than one or two staff and some volunteer firemen (from amongst the residents). The ground rent being charged to make up the alleged large yearly loss is on the basis that this land could be used for offices so is artificially high. All this makes an apparently uneconomic airport. I would argue that:-

1. The airport removed the Instrument Landing system during the 10 year lease therefore making it unfit for commercial traffic, this means that the council should challenge them being able to purchase the land for £1 on that basis. Have some guts Sheffield City Council!

2. The airport shouldn't have to make a profit but could easily do so if the runway is kept, a sensible ground rent is charged, and the staffing is cut back to a level similar to other private airfields. Sorry to the staff , but they are going anyway when it closes and this way some can stay.

3. A smaller number of high quality offices are allowed that aren't directly on the runway and which can command higher rents because they are laid out more spaciously and they have the airport facility. If this shortens the runway at the Western end then this can easily be added at the Eastern end where the current approach lights are (non scheduled traffic doesn't legally need approach lights).

Being able to announce 'new' jobs on a business park is far more fruitful for councillors.

Most of the jobs on the current Business Park aren't "new", though - they have simply moved from elsewhere in Sheffield and Rotherham

You are 100% right MrH.

The politicians aren't very good at sums when it comes to spin though ;)

A bit like the thousands of jobs that Boeing was creating at Waverley. It was actually about 20 University Under / Post Grads and a few technicians the last I heard. :)

You are 100% right MrH.

The politicians aren't very good at sums when it comes to spin though ;)

A bit like the thousands of jobs that Boeing was creating at Waverley. It was actually about 20 University Under / Post Grads and a few technicians the last I heard. :)

I would obviously support any new jobs coming to Sheffield, but I can never understand where all the new people come from for these big office developments. If they are new companies then the economy really must be booming. If they are moving from elsewhere then there must be other offices being emptied or a ghost town somewhere.