Your message here

Get rid of mouth ulcers?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

04-01-2005, 12:30   #1
xafier

Total Posts: 1,388
Send a message via MSN to xafier
Does anyone know any way to get rid of mouth ulcers other than bongela or rinsing mouth with salt water?

I've got some at the back of my mouth near my throat and they're REALLY painful, I've tried to call the doctors today as I've had them for days and days with no luck trying to get rid of them but there seems to be something wrong with my local doctors number since it changed to this new 0845 number, and I dont have time in the next few days to just pop up and wait...

I cant use bongela cus its painful and makes me gag putting my fingers so far back, and gargling salt water is gonna make me spew

thanks for any useful reply's, its painful to swallow and eating anything salty REALLY hurts, I think I've got more than I can see, but you ever tried looking down your own throat with a torch in your hand? its not easy... lol
04-01-2005, 12:37   #2
PENGUIN

Total Posts: 320
Orabase, but again if you cant put your fingers that far back its not much good. I think you should try the salt water, just gargle with it, make sure you dont swallow any.
04-01-2005, 12:40   #3
igm1
Zeppelin Rule!

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 4,053
Send a message via MSN to igm1
Hiya Xavier,

Sorry pal but I can only think of the salt water cure. As the above post says just don't swallow any.

This cure always seemed to work for me

Good luck mate
_______
When the music's over......turn out the lights

You wouldn't recognize a good day if you never had a bad day. Up The Owls

My last fm
04-01-2005, 12:42   #4
xafier

yeah, I cant get to them properly they're in some weird places, and I'm sure I've got one or a few in my throat that I cant even see... I still need to go to the doctors I rekon as an outburst of mouth ulcers sounds rather worrying... one on your lip is normal-ish from time to time... but I must have got at least 3 or 4 of them

normally when they're on my lip I just grit my teeth and rub salt straight into them till I cant take the pain no more, it hurts like mad but gets rid of the things quickly, especially if you put bongela on afterwards
04-01-2005, 12:52   #5
missb

Total Posts: 217
Oraldine mouth wash. Usually I think ulcers occur when you are run down.
04-01-2005, 13:01   #6
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,305
If you decide that you can manage to gargle, then try gargling with soluble aspirin or soluble paracetemol.
It will help take away some of the pain and irritation.
04-01-2005, 13:30   #7
Siān

Total Posts: 1,703
I'm guessing we use the same medical centre in Hackenthorpe looking at where you live - I used the new 0845 number last week to make an appointment & it worked fine for me.

I've just tried the number again - there's no problem with it - give it another go
_______
And all your future lies beneath your hat - John Oldham

**** your hat - angles are attitudes - Frank Sinatra
04-01-2005, 13:59   #8
tinker

Total Posts: 285
t c p . available at chemist or most supermarkets 2 or 3 teaspoons in about a quarter of a cup of warm water 3 or 4 times a day always works for me tried other remedys i find this the best use as a mouthwash
04-01-2005, 14:46   #9
scatterheart

Total Posts: 304
It will be excruciatingly painful, but brush it with your toothbrush. And keep brushing until all of the white skin on the ulcer has gone. Then dab on some Bongela or similar. And it will be a pain like no other but trust me, it won't hurt for long and they will go quickly Make sure you give your toothbrush a good clean after or preferably use a seperate one.

I've tried this method and it really does work. I had one a massive one all of christmas week but then i finally plucked up the courage to try this and it worked a treat
_______
~well i love the way we communicate
your eyes focus on my funny lip shape~
04-01-2005, 14:58   #10
JonJParr
Bon Viveur

Total Posts: 1,344
I've never had mouth ulcers at the back of my throat I tend to get them on my bottom lip where they rub against my teeth. They're annoying aren't they! I tend to squeeze the small bubble with the fingers and pop it (it smarts a little but is over quick) then brush your teeth and it will heal up overnight.

I do, however, appreciate it may be hard to reach the back of your throat with fingers and imagine it would probably result in gagging galore. But, for small ulcers, on the lip area this method of eradication has never failed me.

For prevention of ulcers I would recommend changing your toothbrush frequently and using a good quality toothpaste and mouthwash.
04-01-2005, 15:45   #11
Ginger_Kitty

Total Posts: 2,711
i tend to get outbreaks of ulcers if i use the wrong toothpaste, Colgate is evil stuff!!!
Anbesol is good for ulcers generally, dab it on til you can stand the pain no longer, they are usually gone in 24 hours, however having them at the back of your mouth does make that difficult, but remember it for the normal ones.
04-01-2005, 17:27   #12
Skatiechik

Total Posts: 2,336
Whats wrong with swallowing salt water, apart from the foul taste of course?

We eat salt, we drink water - after all its only a combination of the two.
04-01-2005, 22:32   #13
Lickszz

Total Posts: 4,624
There may be some useful advice in this thread.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...ghlight=Ulcers
_______
Little lost sometimes.
05-01-2005, 19:32   #14
nuf_said

Total Posts: 352
Salt mouthwash OK - but spit it out!!
Adcortyl in Orabase - pretty good.
Bonjela - sometimes works.
Anbesol - very good.
If you have contacts abroad try and get Anbesol Full Strength - it's a gel in very small tubes, contains steroids and carries a warning about only using it for 2 weeks. Contains Benzocaine. Works brilliantly - but of course you can't get it in this country - available everywhere else though.

I think that mouth ulcers are a form of Herpes virus and arrive at times when you're under some stress - mental or physical. So avoid stress!

Last edited by nuf_said; 17-01-2005 at 07:36.
05-01-2005, 21:08   #15
xafier

Quote:
Originally posted by nuf_said
I think that mouth ulcers are a form of Herpes virus and arrive at times when you're under some stress - mental or physical. So avoid stress!
Been to the doctors, apperently theres been a lot of research into ulcers but they still haven't any clue what makes them... how do they hope to cure cancer and AIDS/HIV if they cant prevent mouth ulcers?

anyways he told me to get some of this mouth rinse stuff, numbs your mouth and throat, so its all good, removes the pain for a couple of hours...

and how can you avoid stress? I've got my 4th driving test in the morning, Uni exams in a few weeks and I've been in heated arguments with my ex for the last week... stress? whats stress??
06-01-2005, 20:54   #16
nuf_said

Total Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally posted by xafier
Been to the doctors, apperently theres been a lot of research into ulcers but they still haven't any clue what makes them... how do they hope to cure cancer and AIDS/HIV if they cant prevent mouth ulcers?

anyways he told me to get some of this mouth rinse stuff, numbs your mouth and throat, so its all good, removes the pain for a couple of hours...

and how can you avoid stress? I've got my 4th driving test in the morning, Uni exams in a few weeks and I've been in heated arguments with my ex for the last week... stress? whats stress??
I seem to remember Herpes Zoster and Herpes Lesion (or similar spellings) being related to ulcers. It's been 30 years since I read up about that. But my interest is revived by my son's mouth ulcers - about 5 at once and each abut the size of your little finger nail. Now that's painful.

Stress - you've got more than your fair share of stress at the moment. Good luck with sorting each bit. See Plain Talker's definition of stress - 'when you wake up screaming and then realise you weren't asleep'. Love that one.
06-01-2005, 23:00   #17
lekamo

Total Posts: 5
Hello

My dad swears by this method:

Take a good quality whisky and take a mouthful, Hold over the affected area for as long as you can stand the excruciating pain that follows. You can then of course swallow it.

Although painful, dad says it will cure ulcers in 24 - 48 hrs. I can't vouch for this because I am fortunate in that I rarely suffer mouth ulcers.

Get better soon

Lekamo
07-01-2005, 08:16   #18
Ginger_Kitty

Total Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally posted by lekamo

Take a good quality whisky and take a mouthful, Hold over the affected area for as long as you can stand the excruciating pain that follows. You can then of course swallow it.

Although painful, dad says it will cure ulcers in 24 - 48 hrs.
and if it doesn't work after a few attempts you won't care anyway!!! sounds like a good cure to me
07-01-2005, 21:34   #19
franc1987

Total Posts: 277
Send a message via AIM to franc1987
Put a blob of bonjella on your tongue and then push it towards the back of your mouth. It wont hurt you if you swallow it cos afterall they wudnt let you put something in your mouth that is harmful to you especially when babies use it too. or if u you stand it bonjela on the end of your toothbrush or clean ear bud thingy and then dab it on
hth
09-01-2005, 21:34   #20
Strix

Total Posts: 32,519
Adcortyl in Orabase gets my vote - but it's like gritty vaseline damned effective though.

Dequacaine is good too. Originally for very sore throats but it's now advertised as being for ulcers. Good job really - I've been using it for them for years.
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 £(£3/£5/£10) to 70070
Reply To Topic