Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Child Modelling Agencies in Sheffield (or Yorkshire)

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

20-08-2007, 11:03   #1
Aqua

Total Posts: 168
A few people have told me that my son (14 months) would make a great child model, so I'm thinking of looking into it. Can anyone recommend some decent (i.e. not rip off merchants) agencies in the Sheffield or Yorkshire area.

Also, has anyone's kids done this and if so, any advice?

Thanks,
Aqua
x
20-08-2007, 11:19   #2
Deerobe

Total Posts: 1,219
Send a message via MSN to Deerobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
A few people have told me that my son (14 months) would make a great child model, so I'm thinking of looking into it. Can anyone recommend some decent (i.e. not rip off merchants) agencies in the Sheffield or Yorkshire area.

Also, has anyone's kids done this and if so, any advice?

Thanks,
Aqua
x
Yes I have and it is a cattle market.

My husband knew an agent and they talked him into signing our son up to the agency. I had to pay for a photo portfolio and the agency registration fees. Within a short space of time my son went for auditions for a Persil advert. My ex husband took him up to the auditions and they were stuck there for hours hanging around. It cost a lot of money in parking fees etc. We were able to claim the money back but it took ages to come through and you have to find it in the first place.

My ex-husband came back saying we would not be putting our son through that again. If your child gets work you have to get clearance from the local authority for them to work (you have to demonstrate that their education will not suffer as a result of the work)

I think I have made it sound like the agency were shysters but no, this was a reputable agency and many children were appearing in adverts for leading brands. We just found the costs and the whole process did not suit us. If you have loads of time to sit around and money to spend on travel and car parking then maybe this will be for you.

The agency had several hundred children on their books but only a few jobs each month. So the amount of children actually getting work is realtively small. I have told you about the reality. If you think you can deal with that then go ahead and wish you luck.
_______
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited by Deerobe; 20-08-2007 at 11:23.
20-08-2007, 11:25   #3
rachelV

Total Posts: 424
Send a message via MSN to rachelV
dk modles i will look for the number for you i have it somewhere as im sending photos of my son to them.
20-08-2007, 11:28   #4
becky518

Total Posts: 412
my son got offered a contract and from searching the internet i found a lot of bad feedback, so i decided against it, its not as simple as stand/pose for a few pics then off home theres alot more to it, hes also not one to stay still for more than 10 mins!! Do your research thats the best advice.
20-08-2007, 11:31   #5
roger

Total Posts: 879
dk models is in chapletown on thornecliffe estate as far as im aware now they are reliable as far as i know many others are rippoffs for your cash
_______
roger
20-08-2007, 11:38   #6
rachelV

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
dk models is in chapletown on thornecliffe estate as far as im aware now they are reliable as far as i know many others are rippoffs for your cash
that rite, they dont any money off you so if you dont get any jobs you have not lossed out

number is 0114 257 3480

website is www.dkmodels.net
20-08-2007, 13:38   #7
gnomi
bumbling about

Total Posts: 1,467
alternatively,wait until your son is old enough to make his own decisions. All of us as mothers think our kids are beautiful,it doesnt mean that we should then exploit them.Im sure your son would have much more fun spending the day at a the park with you,than sitting around for hours waitng to have his photo taken? As for the numerous times your son will be rejected in favour of another beautiful kid,well just dont get me started on that.........

Sorry,just my opinion
_______
Sheffield dog walking, pet taxi and animal sitting service fully insured and CRB cleared.

www.onemannhisdogs.com
Sponsored Links
20-08-2007, 13:47   #8
rachelV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomi View Post
alternatively,wait until your son is old enough to make his own decisions. All of us as mothers think our kids are beautiful,it doesnt mean that we should then exploit them.Im sure your son would have much more fun spending the day at a the park with you,than sitting around for hours waitng to have his photo taken? As for the numerous times your son will be rejected in favour of another beautiful kid,well just dont get me started on that.........

Sorry,just my opinion
my son loves his photo been taken and is always asking to have it taken, and has for exploiting how could that be?? any money my son would make would go in his bank or trust fund.
20-08-2007, 14:07   #9
gnomi
bumbling about

Total Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelV View Post
my son loves his photo been taken and is always asking to have it taken, and has for exploiting how could that be?? any money my son would make would go in his bank or trust fund.
id be very suprised if your son makes any money tbh(that is not to say that he's not beautiful,im sure he is) As one of the other posters has said,its a cattle maket. I happen to believe that children should be taught that it is not whats on the outside that matters.By getting them into the modelling world from such a young age,you are teaching them the exact opposite.
_______
Sheffield dog walking, pet taxi and animal sitting service fully insured and CRB cleared.

www.onemannhisdogs.com
20-08-2007, 14:28   #10
rachelV

Quote:
id be very suprised if your son makes any money tbh(that is not to say that he's not beautiful,im sure he is) As one of the other posters has said,its a cattle maket. I happen to believe that children should be taught that it is not whats on the outside that matters.By getting them into the modelling world from such a young age,you are teaching them the exact opposite.

maybe so but he has had some offers but it was to far for us to go at the time we was told.

and im not teaching him the opposite at all hes only two and all he know his he likes having his photo taken.
20-08-2007, 19:50   #11
Aqua

Total Posts: 168
Thanks everyone, think I might leave it for now as I work full time so it would be difficult to take him to jobs (that's if he got any, of course!).

A x
20-08-2007, 20:40   #12
lyndix
forum trumper

Total Posts: 8,679
Quote:
alternatively,wait until your son is old enough to make his own decisions. All of us as mothers think our kids are beautiful,it doesnt mean that we should then exploit them.
I couldn`t agree more.
Obviously at 14 months your child won`t understand about rejections, but what about when he does understand........how do you think it might make him feel?
Kids are meant to be kids, not have jobs!!
20-08-2007, 21:51   #13
shortcrust

Total Posts: 1,371
When I saw the title of your post I could have put money on someone having a go at you for doing the wrong thing by your son. Some people just can't resist...

Worse things and all that eh? I hope you and your son have a lot of fun and make some pocket money!
11-03-2011, 02:12   #14
Kat&cayden

Total Posts: 1
Now im sorry, but to all those people having a go, you have no right to judge us as parents, you have no idea what our motives are or how we will go about it.

I didnt even think of putting my fourteen month old into modelling untill in the space of one day in various places i had about a dozen people telling me i should.

My son is a little smilier he absolutely adores having his photo taken,as soon as he sees a camera thats it his pose is on, and he always wants to see it afterwards. At that age he wont know anything about being rejected if anyone is going to get hurt at this stage it will be me as his mother. And as he gets older i will make sure that he grows up knowing he doesnt have to carry on with it if he doesnt want to and that he knows that no matter what he looks like his family and friends love him for who he is, i've never been for super skinny or perfect looking models and i will damn well make sure my son grows up knowing that he doesnt have to be thin or anything else, the second agents start telling me i need to make sure he loses weight or does this that or the other, then that will be it, bye bye modelling.

And as for exploiting, not a chance my dears every penny will be going into his trust fund no matter what, it will be his money that he earned and i nor anybody else will be touching it.

So you can all get off your high horses and whether you think we are bad parents or not, stop judging us on one action. You know nothing about us or our famillies, you dont know who we are or what motivates us. You can not even begin to judge us untill you know us.

To any mother thinking about putting their child into modelling, take my advice, think over the pro's and cons yourself dont listen to anyone else and if you do decide to make sure you search around for reputable companies before agreeing to anything, it has been said that DK models in sheffield are rather good, and they are, i know people signed up with them, that have had quite a bit of work.

Katxxx
03-08-2011, 12:23   #15
Jane-A

Total Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat&cayden View Post
To any mother thinking about putting their child into modelling, take my advice, think over the pro's and cons yourself dont listen to anyone else and if you do decide to make sure you search around for reputable companies before agreeing to anything
This is the best piece of advice in the thread!!

Once you're happy with the idea of modeling and so is your son or daughter, then the most important thing is to find a reputable child modeling agency and make sure they're not a scammer.

I wrote a guide on this on my website, so check it out and see what you think! (Link is in my sig.)
_______
I write a blog about child modeling agencies. Check it out!
03-08-2011, 16:47   #16
rachgee

Total Posts: 194
If I had a 1 for every time someone told me my daughter was gorgeous / smilier / ought go model I would be a very rich lady. People just say things like that but unfortunately you will probably overhear them say that to another child 5 mins later!!

It's a nice thought to set them up modelling and save the for when they are older. What if you had another child who wasn't as fortunate to be photogenic etc, how would you earn them the equivalent savings.

I would try free competitions e.g next/ debs/ star - let the professionals make there decisions rather than some dotty old women in towns opinion.
03-08-2011, 17:33   #17
speedy69

Total Posts: 3,767
Parents who put there children through this should be reported as it's nothing more than child abuse, they should go the full hog an get em up the chimneys!
24-11-2011, 13:46   #18
charliejo

Total Posts: 46
Are you having a laugh! Child abuse haha. Get a life! My son is 3 and he loves it. He craves being centre of attention, so when he shooting he's in his element.
Reply To Topic